Anyone with multiple sites of infection?

Hi, hive mind,

I was diagnosed with genital herpes Oct. 2019 (HSV 1) and have been on antivirals since. This week, I’ve had a minor weird sore on my lip line (no prodromal symptoms) and I’m wondering if I contracted oral herpes at the same time. This would be helpful to ascertain, as my husband is HSV negative and we’re trying to keep it that way. Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

I am wondering the following specifically. (1) If you have multiple sites of infection, how does an outbreak work? Do you get an outbreak everywhere you’ve been infected? Or just one site? (2) I’ve only experienced the initial outbreak (to my knowledge), so what can a “regular” outbreak look like when you’re on antivirals?

Many thanks,

kjs

I can only speak of my cold sores experience. An outbreak usually only occurs on one site, but at times I get a secondary outbreak at a different site just as the first one is almost done healing, but the second is mild and resolves in about 3-5 days.

I only use antivirals on an active outbreak, so I don't know about outbreaks while on suppressive therapy. This virus has shattered my life already, now I don't care how disgusting I look with a giant oozing inflamed red patch on my lips anymore.

And also from my experience, when in doubt, it is always a cold sore, it's always like that for me. Doubt is just my hope cuz I was like" wait it can't be, I just had one recently, my life can't be any worse", well guess what, yes it can definitely be worse with another outbreak.

So treat it like a cold sore to protect your loved ones, until you can be sure it ain't. If you are new at this guessing game, might be a while before you will be 100% accurate, like me.

• 3 weeks later...

I contracted herpes in September 2011 from my Thai gf, who had played away. Long distance relationship, long story.

Essentially, any part of my body that had come into contact with her infectious zone (genital), became infected (as I had no immunity). 

My first outbreak was on my lip, about 2weeks later.

Then I got weird symptoms down below-the back of thighs were burning and irritated and then red spots on my penis, then nothing for a couple of months, and then I got a classic blister on my penis.

My doctor told me it must be type 1, as I had got it on my mouth and type 2 never occurs on the mouth.

My (now) ex gf says she got tested and it’s type 2. 

I never had cold sores previously and neither did she.

These days, they occur more often genitally (or get prodromes, itching).

Occasionally, I will a red rash on my upper lip, especially if I swig beer from a bottle. 

Also get random red rashes on back of my hands (both hands) and sometimes swelling/irritation (itching) around my thumbs, that lasts perhaps 30-60minutes, 

Now these could be ‘hives’ and I’ve also had random rashes on my upper chest.

Never had any of these issues before acquiring this virus.

Once I had what very much appeared to be an outbreak on my left arm !

My main triggers are stress, tiredness, chocolate and some other foods

My last significant (genital) outbreak was 31st December 2018, after eating pistachio nuts and jelly babies.

3 hours ago, islandhopper said:

Then I got weird symptoms down below-the back of thighs were burning and irritated and then red spots on my penis, then nothing for a couple of months

Occasionally, I will a red rash on my upper lip, especially if I swig beer from a bottle. 

Also get random red rashes on back of my hands (both hands) and sometimes swelling/irritation (itching) around my thumbs, that lasts perhaps 30-60minutes, 

These exact things happen to me! The red rash on the hands really threw me for a loop the first few times it happened. I had no explanation for it, but now it makes sense.

Edited by blurneworder
1 hour ago, blurneworder said:

These exact things happen to me! The red rash on the hands really threw me for a loop the first few times it happened. I had no explanation for it, but now it makes sense.

And the fantastic need is that you don’t have herpes having tested negative results n Westernblot.

Youre an amazing inspiration to have gone Through thinking you have herpes to finally reach the truth that you don’t.

True gold!!

4 hours ago, islandhopper said:

I contracted herpes in September 2011 from my Thai gf, who had played away. Long distance relationship, long story.

Essentially, any part of my body that had come into contact with her infectious zone (genital), became infected (as I had no immunity). 

My first outbreak was on my lip, about 2weeks later.

Then I got weird symptoms down below-the back of thighs were burning and irritated and then red spots on my penis, then nothing for a couple of months, and then I got a classic blister on my penis.

My doctor told me it must be type 1, as I had got it on my mouth and type 2 never occurs on the mouth.

My (now) ex gf says she got tested and it’s type 2. 

I never had cold sores previously and neither did she.

Once I had what very much appeared to be an outbreak on my left arm !

My main triggers are stress, tiredness, chocolate and some other foods

My last significant (genital) outbreak was 31st December 2018, after eating pistachio nuts and jelly babies.

So you were officially diagnosed with herpes?

4 minutes ago, Cas9 said:

So you were officially diagnosed with herpes?

Rheumatologist and Infectious Disease doctor confirmed it, but let's focus on this thread.

Edited by blurneworder
2 minutes ago, blurneworder said:

Rheumatologist and Infectious Disease doctor confirmed it, but let's focus on this thread.

Feel the Blurne.  Who are you speaking about...the poster or yourself?

18 minutes ago, blurneworder said:

Post flagged for moderation.

You have once again hijacked the thread to self serve your own delusion, You’ve been warned multiple times by several moderators and on your last warning.

Your diagnosis was not confirmed but hypothesised on the basis of a now false positive IgG test. The WB failed to confirm.

16 minutes ago, blurneworder said:

Whoops! My bad,

Please. Go ahead for transparency sake...let him.know you tested negative on a western blot and every other test before you tell him you have hsv.

Because we all know it's coming.  Feel the Blurne!!!

Edited by Muscha
17 hours ago, Cas9 said:

My question was to islandhopper, not you

I have not been officially diagnosed. My ex gf was tested (blood test in Thailand), which came back as type 2.

I have had all the classic herpes symptoms, itching, burning and blisters and triggers, such as stress, tiredness and foods like chocolate.

I previously took aciclovir, which helped, but things are much better than they were-I know my triggers and my body has got used to it.

I have no doubt that I have herpes, but I would like to know for sure which type, although my doctor didn’t see the point, I just want to know for sure, especially when it comes to dating.

1 hour ago, islandhopper said:

I have not been officially diagnosed. My ex gf was tested (blood test in Thailand), which came back as type 2.

I have had all the classic herpes symptoms, itching, burning and blisters and triggers, such as stress, tiredness and foods like chocolate.

I previously took aciclovir, which helped, but things are much better than they were-I know my triggers and my body has got used to it.

I have no doubt that I have herpes, but I would like to know for sure which type, although my doctor didn’t see the point, I just want to know for sure, especially when it comes to dating.

You may very well have herpes, but I find it odd you wouldn't get officially tested to be virtually certain. I mean, why walk around believing, for potentially the rest of your life, that you have herpes, when you don't.

"My doctor told me it must be type 1, as I had got it on my mouth and type 2 never occurs on the mouth. My (now) ex gf says she got tested and it’s type 2."
Actually, type 2 can occur on the mouth, but it's rare. Therefore, if you do in fact have hsv on the mouth, it is likely hsv1.
If that's the case, and if your gf has hsv2, then you didn't get your hsv1 from her. Of course that assumes your gf doesn't also have hsv1.

"Occasionally, I will a red rash on my upper lip, especially if I swig beer from a bottle."
That doesn't sound like hsv, but I can't rule it out.

"Also get random red rashes on back of my hands (both hands) and sometimes swelling/irritation (itching) around my thumbs, that lasts perhaps 30-60minutes"
That doesn't sound like herpes at all. Not that you can't get herpes on your hands, but getting it on the back of your hands would be quite unusual since the skin is thicker there AND that would not be a place where you came in direct contact with your gf's vagina, which is what you would have to have done to have any chance of infecting that area. Further, herpes doesn't last just 30-60 minutes. NEVER!

Stop GUESSING and GET TESTED!!!

I do plan to get tested very soon, and I will update here with the results, though sexual health centres in the UK are well known for long waiting lists.

At the time, my (ex) girlfriend got tested and her diagnosis was enough for me, plus I had the classic symptoms. 

I have no doubt that I have herpes, the question playing on my mind is which type.

I’m not saying that the rashes I get are herpes, I believe they are hives. I’m just describing my symptoms as they occurred, but essentially, I never had any of these symptoms before contracting this virus, so I believe it’s all related.