World's Largest Herpes Support Group

• Donate

If Honeycomb has helped you, please help us by making a donation so we can provide you with even better features and services.

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • 0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

Nervous about dating with herpes? Skip "the talk" and browse profiles here.

• WilsoInAus
      I am not sure that is the correct interpretation. Your antigen levels are quite high indicating that the lymphocytes did not stop the replication of the antigen. One of your dilutions is also negative. Hence overall this would appear to be a negative result. Note that IgG does not measure activity of the virus, it measures whether there are a specific antibody to the virus in your blood.
    • WilsoInAus
      Great news @Stolo868 hopefully you are now able to put this behind you.  I am not quite sure what the barb is about though, there are no doctors here, self appointed or otherwise, only people trying to help you reach rational decisions on the basis of your experience and testing. If you think you received inappropriate comments from anyone then let us know and they will be addressed. Hey @Just a human being My understanding of how the test works is that antigen cells (the virus) are placed in an growth-rich environment and allowed to replicate. If your blood has the lymphocytes then they will be detected and the growth of the antigen will be restrained. Hence for a positive, you need to see high values of lymphocytes and low values of antigen.
    • Southwestrancher
      https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12325-019-00995-6
    • Stolo868
      Above 2 is positive. Compare to IGG it measures activity of virus. It’s recommended in Europe for seronegative people with ongoing symptoms and those with immune deficiency.  Basically mine is positive for type 1and negative for type 2 which means my t-lymphocytes had contact with hsv1 in the past. 
    • Just a human being
      I do not wish to engage with the difficult politics on this forum regarding rare difficulty in some subsets with diagnosis or debates there in, but could you please explain the LTT test your numbers and your professional opinions in regards to this test, pros and cons of this test and how and why it may be recommended in some cases. I realise the care that needs to be taken as sometimes one will encounter some with irrational fear of HSV. In no way am I suggesting your case as such. 
Sign in to follow this  
kjs2019

Anyone with multiple sites of infection?

kjs2019

Hi, hive mind,

I was diagnosed with genital herpes Oct. 2019 (HSV 1) and have been on antivirals since. This week, I’ve had a minor weird sore on my lip line (no prodromal symptoms) and I’m wondering if I contracted oral herpes at the same time. This would be helpful to ascertain, as my husband is HSV negative and we’re trying to keep it that way. Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

I am wondering the following specifically. (1) If you have multiple sites of infection, how does an outbreak work? Do you get an outbreak everywhere you’ve been infected? Or just one site? (2) I’ve only experienced the initial outbreak (to my knowledge), so what can a “regular” outbreak look like when you’re on antivirals?

Many thanks,

kjs

hatecoldsor

I can only speak of my cold sores experience. An outbreak usually only occurs on one site, but at times I get a secondary outbreak at a different site just as the first one is almost done healing, but the second is mild and resolves in about 3-5 days.

I only use antivirals on an active outbreak, so I don't know about outbreaks while on suppressive therapy. This virus has shattered my life already, now I don't care how disgusting I look with a giant oozing inflamed red patch on my lips anymore.

And also from my experience, when in doubt, it is always a cold sore, it's always like that for me. Doubt is just my hope cuz I was like" wait it can't be, I just had one recently, my life can't be any worse", well guess what, yes it can definitely be worse with another outbreak.

So treat it like a cold sore to protect your loved ones, until you can be sure it ain't. If you are new at this guessing game, might be a while before you will be 100% accurate, like me.

islandhopper

I contracted herpes in September 2011 from my Thai gf, who had played away. Long distance relationship, long story.

Essentially, any part of my body that had come into contact with her infectious zone (genital), became infected (as I had no immunity). 

My first outbreak was on my lip, about 2weeks later.

Then I got weird symptoms down below-the back of thighs were burning and irritated and then red spots on my penis, then nothing for a couple of months, and then I got a classic blister on my penis.

My doctor told me it must be type 1, as I had got it on my mouth and type 2 never occurs on the mouth.

My (now) ex gf says she got tested and it’s type 2. 

I never had cold sores previously and neither did she.

These days, they occur more often genitally (or get prodromes, itching).

Occasionally, I will a red rash on my upper lip, especially if I swig beer from a bottle. 

Also get random red rashes on back of my hands (both hands) and sometimes swelling/irritation (itching) around my thumbs, that lasts perhaps 30-60minutes, 

Now these could be ‘hives’ and I’ve also had random rashes on my upper chest.

Never had any of these issues before acquiring this virus.

Once I had what very much appeared to be an outbreak on my left arm !

My main triggers are stress, tiredness, chocolate and some other foods

My last significant (genital) outbreak was 31st December 2018, after eating pistachio nuts and jelly babies.

blurneworder
3 hours ago, islandhopper said:

Then I got weird symptoms down below-the back of thighs were burning and irritated and then red spots on my penis, then nothing for a couple of months

Occasionally, I will a red rash on my upper lip, especially if I swig beer from a bottle. 

Also get random red rashes on back of my hands (both hands) and sometimes swelling/irritation (itching) around my thumbs, that lasts perhaps 30-60minutes, 

These exact things happen to me! The red rash on the hands really threw me for a loop the first few times it happened. I had no explanation for it, but now it makes sense.

Edited by blurneworder

WilsoInAus
1 hour ago, blurneworder said:

These exact things happen to me! The red rash on the hands really threw me for a loop the first few times it happened. I had no explanation for it, but now it makes sense.

And the fantastic need is that you don’t have herpes having tested negative results n Westernblot.

Youre an amazing inspiration to have gone Through thinking you have herpes to finally reach the truth that you don’t.

True gold!!

Cas9
4 hours ago, islandhopper said:

I contracted herpes in September 2011 from my Thai gf, who had played away. Long distance relationship, long story.

Essentially, any part of my body that had come into contact with her infectious zone (genital), became infected (as I had no immunity). 

My first outbreak was on my lip, about 2weeks later.

Then I got weird symptoms down below-the back of thighs were burning and irritated and then red spots on my penis, then nothing for a couple of months, and then I got a classic blister on my penis.

My doctor told me it must be type 1, as I had got it on my mouth and type 2 never occurs on the mouth.

My (now) ex gf says she got tested and it’s type 2. 

I never had cold sores previously and neither did she.

Once I had what very much appeared to be an outbreak on my left arm !

My main triggers are stress, tiredness, chocolate and some other foods

My last significant (genital) outbreak was 31st December 2018, after eating pistachio nuts and jelly babies.

So you were officially diagnosed with herpes?

blurneworder
4 minutes ago, Cas9 said:

So you were officially diagnosed with herpes?

Rheumatologist and Infectious Disease doctor confirmed it, but let's focus on this thread.

Edited by blurneworder

Muscha
2 minutes ago, blurneworder said:

Rheumatologist and Infectious Disease doctor confirmed it, but let's focus on this thread.

Feel the Blurne.  Who are you speaking about...the poster or yourself?

Cas9
5 minutes ago, blurneworder said:

My question was to islandhopper, not you

blurneworder
1 minute ago, Cas9 said:

Whoops! My bad,

WilsoInAus
18 minutes ago, blurneworder said:

Post flagged for moderation.

You have once again hijacked the thread to self serve your own delusion, You’ve been warned multiple times by several moderators and on your last warning.

Your diagnosis was not confirmed but hypothesised on the basis of a now false positive IgG test. The WB failed to confirm.

Muscha
16 minutes ago, blurneworder said:

Whoops! My bad,

Please. Go ahead for transparency sake...let him.know you tested negative on a western blot and every other test before you tell him you have hsv.

Because we all know it's coming.  Feel the Blurne!!!

Edited by Muscha

islandhopper
17 hours ago, Cas9 said:

I have not been officially diagnosed. My ex gf was tested (blood test in Thailand), which came back as type 2.

I have had all the classic herpes symptoms, itching, burning and blisters and triggers, such as stress, tiredness and foods like chocolate.

I previously took aciclovir, which helped, but things are much better than they were-I know my triggers and my body has got used to it.

I have no doubt that I have herpes, but I would like to know for sure which type, although my doctor didn’t see the point, I just want to know for sure, especially when it comes to dating.

Cas9
1 hour ago, islandhopper said:

I have not been officially diagnosed. My ex gf was tested (blood test in Thailand), which came back as type 2.

I have had all the classic herpes symptoms, itching, burning and blisters and triggers, such as stress, tiredness and foods like chocolate.

I previously took aciclovir, which helped, but things are much better than they were-I know my triggers and my body has got used to it.

I have no doubt that I have herpes, but I would like to know for sure which type, although my doctor didn’t see the point, I just want to know for sure, especially when it comes to dating.

You may very well have herpes, but I find it odd you wouldn't get officially tested to be virtually certain. I mean, why walk around believing, for potentially the rest of your life, that you have herpes, when you don't.

"My doctor told me it must be type 1, as I had got it on my mouth and type 2 never occurs on the mouth. My (now) ex gf says she got tested and it’s type 2."
Actually, type 2 can occur on the mouth, but it's rare. Therefore, if you do in fact have hsv on the mouth, it is likely hsv1.
If that's the case, and if your gf has hsv2, then you didn't get your hsv1 from her. Of course that assumes your gf doesn't also have hsv1.

"Occasionally, I will a red rash on my upper lip, especially if I swig beer from a bottle."
That doesn't sound like hsv, but I can't rule it out.

"Also get random red rashes on back of my hands (both hands) and sometimes swelling/irritation (itching) around my thumbs, that lasts perhaps 30-60minutes"
That doesn't sound like herpes at all. Not that you can't get herpes on your hands, but getting it on the back of your hands would be quite unusual since the skin is thicker there AND that would not be a place where you came in direct contact with your gf's vagina, which is what you would have to have done to have any chance of infecting that area. Further, herpes doesn't last just 30-60 minutes. NEVER!

Stop GUESSING and GET TESTED!!!

islandhopper

I do plan to get tested very soon, and I will update here with the results, though sexual health centres in the UK are well known for long waiting lists.

At the time, my (ex) girlfriend got tested and her diagnosis was enough for me, plus I had the classic symptoms. 

I have no doubt that I have herpes, the question playing on my mind is which type.

I’m not saying that the rashes I get are herpes, I believe they are hives. I’m just describing my symptoms as they occurred, but essentially, I never had any of these symptoms before contracting this virus, so I believe it’s all related.