World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Bee123

Getting some meds.

Bee123

Hi all.

I have a couple questions. First, my doc wouldn't diagnose me based on a visual exam and took a swab of some of the bumps on my genital region. The results wont be back until Wednesday, but she didn't offer to give me some meds in the mean time or tell me how to care for the area at all. Should I call her up tomorrow and get started on something like Valtrex? I keep reading that your future outbeaks will be less severe if you control the first one, so I would like to do as much as possible. If I don't have hsv (I'm pretty sure I do) what would really be the harm in taking it for a couple days?

Second, does anyone know if Planned Parenthood offers HSV treatments at a cheaper rate than the regular pharmacy. I'm going to need an alternative to my parents insurance as I'm not comfortable telling them the diagnosis just yet. Does anyone order Valtrex or any of that online?

Thanks for the input.

memyselfI

...why do you think you have herpes? I think that is weird your physician didn't give you valtrex samples. Yes, I would call back and ask for them, better safe than sorry especially if this is your first outbreak (IF, DON"T WORRY, okay). Please remember doctors are only human beings and you probably caught (no pun intended luv) yours on a bad day.

Try and keep your chin up, give your doc a call and keep on writing and reading here.

You are in my prayers Bee123!

Much love!!

meme

Bee123

Thanks for the reply MeMyselfI,

I'm pretty sure its hsv because I seem to have all the classic symptoms. Believe me, I wich it were something else, but it's quite apparent. She wouldn't diagnose it because it wasn't blistery or anything, just extreemly red and irritated with bumps. However, after looking through a lot of the info on this site I see that no one has the same symptoms and we're all different.

I'll be calling tomorrow and hopefully I can get on some meds here. It's not unbearable like some of the stories I've read but it is uncomfortable and starting to get me down.

Does anyone know about my Planned Parenthood question? Do they supply people with valtrex or other treatments?

Bee123

Hi all,

I just got the call this morning and I'm positive for genital HSV1. I guess I got it from oral sex with a guy I was seeing about a month ago.

She said if you have hsv this is the strain you would rather have because it tends to reoccur less and the outbreaks are less severe. I hape I'm not an exception to this.

Anyway, I couldn't afford the perscription she wanted to write me so I went to the planned parenthood in my city and they only had enough to give me six doses, which is only 3 days worth. Does anyone know if this will be effective or is it completly pointless to takw unless you have a full 10 days or whatever? The nurse at planned parenthood told me that this should help speed up the healing.

What do you guys think?

memyselfI

worth it i think?

If that's what your physician suggested do it, why not? It could help. I can't remember now but I believe my doctor only gave me 3 days worth of samples and then a perscription for a year of daily suppresents... I honestly don't recall now if she suggested I fill the script for at least 10 days worth or what?

Good luck luv. If i were you I would take the meds but its your body so listen to your ...internal voice. You probably already know what you should do...

?

Bee123

Thanks so much for the reply.

She also gave me some sort of numbing gel to put on the sores. So, well see how this goes. She also gave me an RX for acyclovir that I haven't fill because I want to see how the valtrex goes. Does anyone have any experiences with acyclovir? The doc made it sound like the only difference between that and valtrex was that you take it 3 times a day instead of 2. Anyone know more??

I'm hopeful that with a good diet and vitamins I can minimize the OB's especially with it being hsv1. I'll most likely be back with more questions.