Vitagerpavak Vaccine Studies

ViralResearcher
Vopr Virusol. 2010 Jan-Feb;55(1):35-40.

[Inactivated herpes simplex virus types 1 and 2 divaccine as an agent for effective immunoprophylaxis of recurrent genital herpes].

[Article in Russian]

Abstract

Prevention of recurrent genital herpes with the inactivated herpetic divaccine Vitaherpavac against herpes simplex virus types 1 and 2 has a number of advantages over the most commonly used symptomatic therapy: it ceases or significantly reduces the number of recurrences and accordingly prolongs a relapse-free interval, abolishes viremia and the manifestations of clinical symptoms of recurrences, induces no dependence to the vaccine. Coadministration of the Vitaherpavac vaccine and the immunomodulator Giaferon has been shown to have some advantage over vaccination only. The new formulation of the agent as suppositories (per rectum) not only enhances the immunogenicity and protective properties of the vaccine, but also reduces the frequency of its application and makes more convenient for patients to use.

Edited by ViralResearcher
  • Like 2
ViralResearcher
Vopr Virusol. 2009 Sep-Oct;54(5):33-7.

[Vitaherpavac is the first Russian herpes simplex virus vaccine obtained on the Vero B continuous cell line].

[Article in Russian]

Abstract

Vitaherpavac, a dry inactivated herpes simplex virus (HSV) culture vaccine, has been obtained, by using the Vero B continuous cell line as a substrate for accumulation of herpes simplex virus types 1 (US strain) and 2 (VN strain). Vitaherpavac and the similar vaccine Herpovax made by the Research Institute of Vaccines and Sera, Saint Petersburg (for which preparation a primary trypsinized chick embryo cell culture used as a substrate for accumulation of HSV types 1 and 2), underwent comparative clinical trials. The tolerability and therapeutic effectiveness of the vaccine were tested in patients diagnosed as having chronic frequently recurring herpes. The trials have yielded positive results that suggest that it is expedient to introduce of the new vaccine Vitaherpavac into practice to treat chronic recurrent herpetic infection of various localizations. Vitaherpavac has been registered in the Russian Federation and permitted for medical application.

• Like 1
ViralResearcher
Vestn Oftalmol. 2010 Sep-Oct;126(5):3-8.

[Recurrent herpetic corneal erosion: diagnosis and treatment].

[Article in Russian]

Abstract

Recurrent corneal erosion (CE) is a common anterior eye disease, which usually occurs after injury, substantially limits a patient's ability to work, and is intractable. The authors single out an individual form of CE herpetic CE (HCE) on the basis of immunofluorescence assay of a conjunctival scrape, which shows the high concentration of herpes simplex virus antigen in 53% of CE cases. Confocal microscopy revealed epithelocyte polymorphism and basement membrane defects. The treatment of patients with HCE involved 2 steps: 1) relief of acute signs of the disease via drug therapy, rapid local autocyte cinotherapy (RLACCT), or phototherapeutic keratectomy (PTK) and 2) prevention of recurrences. For this the authors developed a method based on the systemic use of a new composition of the intradermal herpes vaccine Vitaherpavac in combination with the subcutaneous interferon inducer Poludan. RLACCT was found to be the most effective medical treatment for CE and PTK was the most effective surgical one. Vaccination with the concurrent subcutaneous injection of Poludan is an effective method in preventing recurrent HCE. During a follow-up of 2 years or more, 81% of the patients achieved clinical resolution; there was a decrease in recurrence rates and severity in 15.1% and no effect in 3.8%.

ViralResearcher

Efficacy of herpes simplex vaccine Vitaherpavac for the prevention of monotone recurrent herpes simplex virus infection

ISAKOV Valery Aleksandrovich 1 , YERMOLENKO DK 2 , ISAKOV DV 3
1  Saint Petersburg Pavlov State Medical University
2  Saint Petersburg Pasteur Research Institute for Epidemiology and Microbiology
3  University of Michigan, School of Medicine (USA)

In patients with monotonously recurrent genital herpes infection and history of failure of standard vaccination, anti-relapse efficacy of Vitaherpavac vaccine was demonstrated after allergometry-based tailored choice of vaccine administration regimen. The used approach was associated with lower antigenic load and sensitization, more than three-fold increase in relapse-free period in 85% of treated patients and improvement of Th1-dependent immunity.

Edited by ViralResearcher
  • 9 months later...

Have you found any clinical studies on shedding rates after receiving the vaccine? I ordered some online, I figured this was better then waiting until 2022 when clinical trials start again for US vaccines. 

• 1 month later...