World's Largest Herpes Support Group

• Donate

If Honeycomb has helped you, please help us by making a donation so we can provide you with even better features and services.

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • 0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

Nervous about dating with herpes? Skip "the talk" and browse profiles here.

• WilsoInAus
      Just because you have HSV-1 doesn't mean everything that happens on your lips is related to HSV. It does seem like a dermatologist would be a good move if your doctor is not thinking broadly enough.
    • whereismyanswer
      Yes, taken the blood test and came back positive for HSV1.  I wish it was angular cheilitis. I'm going to look into other doctors for treatment options.  
    • Just a human being
      A lot of people don’t understand me nor the importance of the emerging evidence. They think I’m promoting a product or here for financial gain! They mistake a complex social environment with science failing to realise it’s an open poll with many factors affecting the outcomes! They mistake anecdotal trying as the way forward over the importance of the emerging evidence to shed more light on the mechanisms of how clearance could be achieved. That it opens up the further discourse for integrative medicine and related sectors in healthcare. That it means people will no longer have to run around for decades trying to find their answers! Our doctors and scientists are persecuted and ridiculed and too scared to speak the truth! Unless we build a groundswell movement behind it things won’t change. Instead people seek to destroy what they don’t understand! It’s been a tough, frustrating year arguing and advocating for the recognition of integrative medicine. Often with those HSV infected trying to beat it down THE MOST! I guess in any troubled times we have thoughts to turn back to to give us strength. Mine is Lady GaGa. Bullied at school and rejected many many times in her early career Lady GaGa is one of the wealthiest and most influential pop stars. Arguing for her brand of pop music she knew it was the next big thing but getting people to listen was harder.  Lady GaGa often gives inspirational speeches of success after much rejection: “It’s not about winning,” Gaga continued. “What it is about is not giving up. If you have a dream, fight for it. If there is a discipline, or passion, it’s not how many times you get rejected or you fall down or are beaten up. It’s about how many times you stand up and are brave and keep on going.” At the start of the year we looked into the astrology of the year. This is the year of Rahu. Rahu brings change with shocks to break down barriers and taboos. I have to say I groaned at little damn shocks and shakes haven’t I had enough in my life! We have certainly had many! I will not stop standing up for the truth and recognition of integrative medicine! Unity in the community is important. Stop destroying recognition of your treatment. Educate yourself on the complex social environment and start thinking like a scientist! Again I think of Lady GaGa.    START ROARING FOR CHANGE!             
    • WilsoInAus
      Hey @whereismyanswer my only comment for now is that are you sure these are cold sores and not another condition such as angular cheilitis? Valtrex is effective against oral cold sores in 95%+ of cases so there's a chance that something else is contributing at least.
    • WilsoInAus
      Hey @Hjkl33 and welcome to the community. You are right to dismiss the IgM results, they have no real value in an adult for all the reasons I'm sure you have read about. Your positive test is a very low positive and hence very likely to be false. This combined with what I suspect has been no outbreaks makes a false positive highly likely. Another IgG test will help your understanding, just insist this is what you want.
Sign in to follow this  
G77

Confused ghsv1

G77

So I'm really confused. I've told my story on here before but new stuff has happened. I got genital hsv1 2 years ago now. I slept with a friend and he was the first guy I had had sex with in 2 years or any form of sexual contact. A few days after I had the most horrendous outbreak with 30+ blisters. Swab confirmed my diagnosis.  I took a blood test because he was denying it and it came back negative after positive swab. He denied it still. A year later I took another blood test and it was positive. He still denied it. 2 years on he took a blood test and it was negative ( he showed me the results) how is this possible? I am so confused right now! 

WilsoInAus

Hey @G77 when someone has had an oral HSV-1 infection for quite some time, IgG testing can become a bit flaky. There are also some incorrect tests such as IgM and some people making assumptions they have been tested and are negative 'for everything' where herpes is not included.

The most likely explanation is that this guy has an oral infection since his childhood and infected you through oral sex. 

Oral HSV-1 is so prevalent, I really can't see why he'd feel the need to deny having it, nor in all fairness does anyone need to be apologetic. However owning your infection and being disclosing it and possible implications is a mature thing to do.

G77
7 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

Hey @G77 when someone has had an oral HSV-1 infection for quite some time, IgG testing can become a bit flaky. There are also some incorrect tests such as IgM and some people making assumptions they have been tested and are negative 'for everything' where herpes is not included.

The most likely explanation is that this guy has an oral infection since his childhood and infected you through oral sex. 

Oral HSV-1 is so prevalent, I really can't see why he'd feel the need to deny having it, nor in all fairness does anyone need to be apologetic. However owning your infection and being disclosing it and possible implications is a mature thing to do.

Hi thank you for replying. We didn't have oral sex. Could this still be the case? The test result he sent me was an igg test result. The nurses who dealt with my tests at the time said there's no doubt he infected me but this has really messed my head up as there's no one else I had sexual contact with. 

alphaCero

Well, that's unusual, but not impossible. I've had HSV1 since childhood, and my IgG results will vary based on whether I'm taking anti-virals, but always have come out positive. I've known someone though who definitely had a cold sore, but never tested positive, so it's rare, but happens.

It's possible he just carries a low count and transmitted to you via saliva but without direct oral sex, or that he doesn't have it and you had been a carrier for a long time and randomly had an outbreak right after having sex (unlikely), or some other random scenario. There's a reason why such a large part of the population is HSV1 positive - there are a lot of ways to get it, it's often asymptomatic, and most adults already have it.

It's frustrating that we just don't have the resources to look deeply into these questions today. It seems like he's been pretty open to getting tested and hopefully educating himself along the way - that's at least something.

G77
Posted (edited)
On 3/29/2020 at 6:06 AM, alphaCero said:

Well, that's unusual, but not impossible. I've had HSV1 since childhood, and my IgG results will vary based on whether I'm taking anti-virals, but always have come out positive. I've known someone though who definitely had a cold sore, but never tested positive, so it's rare, but happens.

It's possible he just carries a low count and transmitted to you via saliva but without direct oral sex, or that he doesn't have it and you had been a carrier for a long time and randomly had an outbreak right after having sex (unlikely), or some other random scenario. There's a reason why such a large part of the population is HSV1 positive - there are a lot of ways to get it, it's often asymptomatic, and most adults already have it.

It's frustrating that we just don't have the resources to look deeply into these questions today. It seems like he's been pretty open to getting tested and hopefully educating himself along the way - that's at least something.

Thanks for your reply. I don't think I was carrier  for a long time. When I had my first outbreak, days after sleeping with him, i got swabbed and it was positive. The doc said to me that he was fairly sure it was a new infection given the severity of it and the exact timing of the symptoms to my sexual encounter. So I took a blood test and it was negative. This guy has been horrible to me over the last 2 years and I had to block him everywhere and was even thinking about an injunction. A year after catching it  he sent me a test result for type 2 calling me all sorts of names saying he didn't have it. I had lost my swab results so I got another blood test to prove to him that it was type 1. This came back positive. Now after 2 years, he wants to be my friend again and even though he took the right test and it's negative he's saying things like " I'm the only person you could sleep with right now" because he knows I haven't slept with anyone since I caught this. I'm not sure what's going on but I know I caught him it from him. It was textbook. His saliva didn't come anywhere near me either so it was also from penetrative sex. I then got regular outbreaks until around 4 months ago.  After the incident I remember him telling me a story about him sleeping with his ex a year before me and he got lumps on his penis. He said she went to the doc and it was thrush that she had. He then said he got an std test for everything just to be sure. He showed me the test and it didn't have herpes on as it's not on a basic std test but back then herpes was so far from my mind, i didn't even think about that. 

Edited by G77