World's Largest Herpes Support Group

• Donate

If Honeycomb has helped you, please help us by making a donation so we can provide you with even better features and services.

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • 0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

Nervous about dating with herpes? Skip "the talk" and browse profiles here.

dazed&confused(withsores)

I have no one to blame but myself

Posted (edited)

So I'm 38 years-old and recently diagnosed with gential herpes. My IGG test was off the charts with HSV1 at 45 and my HSV2 was at 1.69. They said anything over 0.90 was positive. So I guess I'm positive for both. 

Anyways, the last time I was with someone was when I was 23 years-old. The girl broke my heart and took it with her as a trophy mounted on her wall for sport so I ended up taking time to just reflect and focus on myself (school, career, etc). Next thing I know 16 years passed by. Lonely, stupid, (and horny) me hooks up with someone I knew from my late teens and guess what?! Your boy gets body aches, flu symptoms, and a penis that looks like it caught coronavirus. The comfort of reacquainting with someone I knew long ago put me in a stupid trance, my fault, should've known better and stayed clear.

I only have myself to blame, I should've used a condom (wasn't thinking)......and I should've just stayed to myself. I did it for 16 years....could've done another 16.

Anyways, battled depression all my life, thought I was making heads way....now BAM! 

Edited by dazed&confused(withsores)

WilsoInAus

Hey @dazed&confused(withsores) that test on its own does not confirm that you carry HSV-2. Anything less than 3.5 has a chance of being a false positive (a 50/50 proposition at worst for you. Further, your HSV-1 outcome is more than 10x your HSV-2 outcome - also a good indicator of false positive.

However I suspect that your test was undertaken too early.

So... If Day 0 was sex with this person:
- what day did the issues with your penis start?
- exactly what does a corono-penis look like?
- what day did you have the blood test?
- did you get a swab test?

Posted (edited)

Hi @WilsoInAus, thanks for the reply. I hooked up with the girl early Jan 2020 and took the igg test last week at the end of April 2020, forgot the exact day I don't have the papers in front of me. 

The only thing the doctor told me was "anything over 0.90 is a positive." So with a 1.69 for HSV2 and a 45.00 for HSV1 he said I tested positive for both HSV1 and HSV2 and offered some medication antiviral stuff to take. I didn't because I couldn't think and was distraught.

Anyways, the reason why I took the igg tests were 1) I got flu, body ache, and extreme fatigue symptoms along with 2) coronavirus penis. My penis had 3 large scabs the size of my index finger nail that fell off. I didn't notice any other symptoms. I must've not realized any of it. I'm assuming I had open sores if I had those scabs. I can't think of any other reason why my penis would've had those scabs without sores to heal to begin with. At the time of the test the scabs already fell off and healed so there wasn't any physical evidence for the doctor to see.

So Jan 2020 I hooked up with girl.

Mid April 2020 I noticed the scabs on penis along with body aches and flu like symptoms.

End of April 2020 I got test, by then penis scabs already healed up.

Edited by dazed&confused(withsores)

WilsoInAus

Hey @dazed&confused(withsores) really good clarifying information.

This information points to no infection with HSV-2.

The most convincing evidence is that is does not take about 12 weeks for herpes to emerge. If the sores and flu like symptoms do not appear in the first two weeks of infection, they essentially never will. The virus does not lurk for 12 weeks before appearing in anger. It is also quite unlikely that the emergence of issues in mid April is related to January sex.

Although it may say on the test packet that >1.1 is positive, the practical reality is that low false positives occur quite often. Most infected people would test well over 5 by now.

All up, this looks pretty unlikely that a HSV-2 infection has occurred.

Hey @WilsoInAus, maybe I might get retested in the future just to make sure.

It was weird because the doctor was sure as the sky is blue.

"You have both, HSV1 and HSV2!"-doctor

Maybe I have genital HSV1 only since the igg test was super high at 45. All this is unnerving and confusing. 

WilsoInAus

@dazed&confused(withsores) your doctor is not correct in the interpretation of the test result.

Your HSV-1 result is normal, not high (there isn't really a high). There is little doubt you have had an oral HSV-1 infection since your childhood.

I think another test in a few weeks is a great idea that may shed more light.

Quest

I agree with Wilso. 

Just because the test picked up proteins that are the same size doesn't mean you have hsv2. Especially with a number that low. The 45 hsv1 is positive. 

Go spend money and ask Terri Warren a question for 25.oo or whatever it costs. 

I know it is easy to be upset. I would be too. That test should have a much higher positive number because they don't pick up hsv in the blood. Common myth.

That test picks up one particular size of protein. That is why they assign numbers to tests, which we think are too low. The internet is peppered with low positives and it is a shame. It's not good when a doc thinks black and white with no possibility for grey area. Not his/her fault.

to give you an example, the lowest number I have gotten on the test is in the teens.

If you are giving us votes. I don't think you have hsv2 search the forum  or Terri Warren's site for low positive" as a key word.

BobinColorado
On 5/6/2020 at 6:42 PM, WilsoInAus said:

The most convincing evidence is that is does not take about 12 weeks for herpes to emerge. If the sores and flu like symptoms do not appear in the first two weeks of infection, they essentially never will.

So I tested positive with HSV2 from blood test with an IGG of 4.  Negative HSV 1 with IGG of .17.  Never had any genital outbreaks I have noticed anyway.  Not sure how long ago i was infected.  Could be a couple months ago or a decade ago. 

You said " If the sores and flu like symptoms do not appear in the first two weeks of infection, they essentially never will."  

So does that mean I am likely to never have an outbreak?  Or do people start randomly having outbreaks all the time like 5 years after when they are infected?