World's Largest Herpes Support Group

shadowgirl88

Just wanted to say thanks

shadowgirl88

I’ve been on this site for a couple of days. I was diagnosed with ghsv2 16 months ago. I’ve been through mental HELL since then. A nervous breakdown and a suicide attempt. My husband has been my only sex partner my entire life. But he was brave enough to admit his affair to me after my diagnosis. He had what I thought was molliscum contagion a couple of years ago...but thinking back now and knowing what I know...it was a herpes outbreak. I’m beginning to be at peace with myself. And not view myself as a walking plague. It was hard to do at first...but it’s getting easier with the right education and ending the stigma. 

to everyone here who is suffering...you’re not a plague...you’re a victim of a disease that’s been around for thousands of years that jumped into the human gene pool a long time ago. 

I pray that you all keep your heads up and know that your life has meaning and purpose, and that you will continue to live everyday to the fullest. Don’t be afraid of trying or doing new things (or old things) because of this pesky virus. 

I’ve been in college for the past 3 years as a nursing major. At first I thought “well now I can’t be a nurse” WRONG. Lol. I can be. Because herpes is not considered a communicable disease (think Hep A) and I’ll be wearing pants everyday and washing my hands like a NORMAL person.  I want to be the nurse that meets a patient with this virus and be able to say “Hey, you’re going to be ok. I know because I have it too.” 

anyway, thank you for your stories. And all the help everyone here has provided. It’s truly refreshing. 

God Bless

Just a human being

I see it a lot how this virus effects people. The newly diagnosed are often suicidal. 

Thanks for sharing your story of coming to acceptance. 

shadowgirl88
1 minute ago, Just a human being said:

I see it a lot how this virus effects people. The newly diagnosed are often suicidal. 

Thanks for sharing your story of coming to acceptance. 

Yes, I was just reading the statistics on suicides among people infected with herpes. It’s heart breaking at how high it is 😭. I feel like it’s from lack of education on the matter, and of course the stigma that goes along with it. Or at least that was the case for me. 

Just a human being

I have never ever seen the stats but your reference that it is high would not surprise me AT ALL. I see it frequently.

Absolutely agree there is lots of work to do on raising awareness and reducing stigma.