World's Largest Herpes Support Group

• Donate

If Honeycomb has helped you, please help us by making a donation so we can provide you with even better features and services.

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • 0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

Nervous about dating with herpes? Skip "the talk" and browse profiles here.

• WilsoInAus
      Hey @whereismyanswer my only comment for now is that are you sure these are cold sores and not another condition such as angular cheilitis? Valtrex is effective against oral cold sores in 95%+ of cases so there's a chance that something else is contributing at least.
    • WilsoInAus
      Hey @Hjkl33 and welcome to the community. You are right to dismiss the IgM results, they have no real value in an adult for all the reasons I'm sure you have read about. Your positive test is a very low positive and hence very likely to be false. This combined with what I suspect has been no outbreaks makes a false positive highly likely. Another IgG test will help your understanding, just insist this is what you want.
    • whereismyanswer
      hey there! I get them on both corners of my mouth. the right side feels like it never heals, while the left has outbreaks less frequently.   I was thinking an immunologist might be my next step since my GP is really giving me nothing anymore.
    • WilsoInAus
      Hey @whereismyanswer a good place to start might be if you can tell us what do these outbreaks consist of, where are they? Always on you lips? It may be that an immunologist might also be a good idea, but a good dermatologist is usually brilliant. 
    • whereismyanswer
      Hello there. I'm a 24F, who has  had HSV 1 for 3 and a half years now. I got my first cold sore December of 2016 out of no where when I was 21. I was in school and working at a job that had me very stressed at all time. I came home one day and saw the bumps. Initially, I'd never thought anything of it as my dad always had them when I was growing up. Of course, you go on Google and after about 20 minutes of searching, you are absolutely devastated and disgusted with yourself. The first year after my 1st outbreak, I'd occasionally experience some shedding, but didn't get another breakout until the following year. Since that outbreak, I've pretty much steadily had cold sores every month for the last 2 and a half years. I was told birth control would help, because I was noticing outbreaks begin about a week before my cycle. Didn't change anything though. Earlier this year, I finally decided it was time to start suppressive therapy, given the fact that I had no success with natural remedies or hormone leveling using the birth control. I've seen no changes in the frequency of my cold sores since starting 1GM of Valcyclovior. It's been about 3 months, and I met with my doctor today to discuss the issue. She basically told me there was nothing she could do and to see a dermatologist. She also gave me the list of vitamins I already to take to try to include with my daily antiviral. I feel completely defeated. I don't know what to do now or if there is any hope. It hurts me so much because I'm so young and nothing has gotten better. Also, I don't think a dermatologist is the answer. Has anyone else experienced this?
Livingnormal

You are your own worst enemy

Livingnormal

Hi everyone. 

I know everyone on this site is coming here for comfort, answers, advice, hoping that they read something that provides even just a small moment of relief that your life isn’t tainted forever and that life as you once knew it isn’t just a distant memory. I myself have felt such sadness and frustration and although we hear “it’s not a big deal” or “it’s so common” this provides little comfort to us because we are the ones wondering how we will navigate this new normal and we are the ones looking round at people or seeing even silly things like scenes in movies and instantly thinking - it will never be that simple for me again to have a spontaneous experience and feel so comfortable in my own skin. 

What I have come to realise is that these feelings and thoughts are the thoughts which hold us back from living and experiencing life like everyone else. I think what is important to do is to keep perspective, if anything I have become a master of feeling hopeless to quickly snapping into PERSPECTIVE with what we are dealing with! Yes it is a different thing to navigate but you are so much more than this!!! We have so much more to offer. I have learnt the only thing that actually combats this is true self love, if you truly love yourself and romantic companions can see this and know they can not break this love with yourself they will also see past it and love you the same way or at least be in awe of it.

I have done this and really this self confidence will ooze out of you when you truly learn to love yourself herp and all and it will be the start of you I promise!

i have had nothing put positive experiences and I really believe this is because I refuse to let it be a reason not to want to enjoy everything else I have to offer.  

Go out there, live your life, be honest when you feel it is right, and LOVE YOURSELF! And you will see that this is not something to spend your days thinking about and torturing yourself over. 

A blind person would trade us 

A terminally ill person would trade us 

A paralysed person would trade us 

always put this into perspective and be kind to yourself. 

I am 8 years in and doing just fine :) but if I have one regret, it isn’t sleeping with the person who gave me this it is the time wasted worrying about it. Give yourself a break and go live the one life you have been given and don’t let this be an evil but a lesson that life hands out lemons in lots of ways, if this is the only lemon we have let’s be grateful ❤️

Xox 

Mjles

Hi there. 
I’ve joined this just last night whilst I was indeed hating myself. I was diagnosed in March of this year and I’ve so far had two outbreaks. I want to first thank you for posting this. It brought me to tears but please know it’s what I needed to read. Although I do like reading those comforting words from all the other users here, I know I need to now learn to love who I am today. I know I need to learn that perspective is everything and that really, my life isn’t over. Again, thank you for posting. ♥️

Livingnormal

@Mjles I’m glad this brought you some comfort, it is so true that perspective is what we all need, in the early days it’s hard to think about it like that but we can go over our symptoms our worries our experiences all day but is doesn’t change the fact. Everyone has their own journey and I promise you this gets easier it may not feel like it right now but it does, stay kind to yourself and know that this is a minor bump in the road we call life 

x