Any nurse on here diagnosed with HSV2

I’m a Nursing Major. I apply to the nursing school next fall. Just wondering if we had any nurse on here with HSV2 and if it affected your chances of being accepted to the school and finding employment 

1 hour ago, shadowgirl88 said:

I’m a Nursing Major. I apply to the nursing school next fall. Just wondering if we had any nurse on here with HSV2 and if it affected your chances of being accepted to the school and finding employment 

Schools and employers don't ask you if you have herpes. Further, someone has to be in direct physical contact with your vagina to transmit.

P.S. I'm not a nurse :)

Edited by Cas9
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, Cas9 said:

Schools and employers don't ask you if you have herpes. Further, someone has to be in direct physical contact with your vagina to transmit.

P.S. I'm not a nurse :)

Thanks Cas9. I’ve asked on nursing sites. All have said no worries! Said the exact same thing you did. That as long as I’m wearing pants and don’t rub my vagina on people I should be good 😂

it’s just nerve wreaking. Because I’ve spent 3 years in college for nursing...and I feel like sometimes “What if I’m wasting all my time and effort...just to be turned down”  it’s scary. This whole ghsv2 is scary. Feels like I have to plan my life around it. And these researched and scientific community really need to hear this. It is mentally exhausting and draining. 

I know lots of people in the medical field with it, even a doctor. HSV knows no social class or specific demographic: it’s an equal-opportunistic infection. LOL!

I’m certain it is against HIPAA for you to have to disclose this info. Additionally, it may be STI discrimination if you’re blocked from getting a job based on your status. I’m only joking. Ha! 

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Ohsotired said:

I know lots of people in the medical field with it, even a doctor. HSV knows no social class or specific demographic: it’s an equal-opportunistic infection. LOL!

I’m certain it is against HIPAA for you to have to disclose this info. Additionally, it may be STI discrimination if you’re blocked from getting a job based on your status. I’m only joking. Ha! 

Which part were you joking about?

I doubt it would, shadowgirl88 i had a question and sorry to ask but whwn you found out you had hsv2 did you nlood test for it or was it swabbed and diagnosed??

7 minutes ago, Vince3535 said:

I doubt it would, shadowgirl88 i had a question and sorry to ask but whwn you found out you had hsv2 did you nlood test for it or was it swabbed and diagnosed??

Swabbed. They did a viral culture and PCR culture. Both positive.

33 minutes ago, shadowgirl88 said:

Which part were you joking about?

The STI discrimination. I thought of it like age or race discrimination. But seriously, you have nothing to worry about. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Ohsotired said:

The STI discrimination. I thought of it like age or race discrimination. But seriously, you have nothing to worry about. 

Thank you! I pray not. It would literally ruin everything I’ve busted my ass for

• 4 weeks later...
Pomegranitemargaritas

I’m a nurse and no it doesn’t matter. They don’t ask and you don’t need to disclose.

I actually found out I was positive the day before hospital orientation! 

I did date a guy once that thought it was unethical that I was a nurse and had HSV 😒 but it won’t limit or effect you! You’re going to be great!! 

• Like 1

Nurse here. Don't worry about it. The good thing about nursing, is that you see so many crazy things: patients, situations, scenarios: such as childs deaths, that it makes HSV seem minimal at times.

Also, I'm thinking, why would you know to disclose HSV? It is not considered a disability, like HIV is. Anyways, you are thinking a little too much about it. You can DM whenever you want, if you have any further questions. Also congratulations, you are almost there!

• Thanks 2
On 6/21/2020 at 7:46 AM, Pomegranitemargaritas said:

I’m a nurse and no it doesn’t matter. They don’t ask and you don’t need to disclose.

I actually found out I was positive the day before hospital orientation! 

I did date a guy once that thought it was unethical that I was a nurse and had HSV 😒 but it won’t limit or effect you! You’re going to be great!! 

Thank you so much!!!!!! 

and that guy was a JERK! People have such a harsh stigma against because their not educated enough about it. Sorry he was such an ass to you.

On 6/21/2020 at 9:56 AM, dont quit!17 said:

Nurse here. Don't worry about it. The good thing about nursing, is that you see so many crazy things: patients, situations, scenarios: such as childs deaths, that it makes HSV seem minimal at times.

Also, I'm thinking, why would you know to disclose HSV? It is not considered a disability, like HIV is. Anyways, you are thinking a little too much about it. You can DM whenever you want, if you have any further questions. Also congratulations, you are almost there!

Thank you!!! I was unsure how it would all go down. Since I haven’t entered in the school, I wasn’t sure about the medical evaluation questions and such. 

you guys have helped calm that fear so much! 

and you’re so RIGHT...there is Far too much to see on a daily basis...way worse diseases and deaths....😞 

On 5/29/2020 at 7:31 PM, shadowgirl88 said:

Definitely should not affect either one. It’s not something that is ever asked about, nor should it ever be! Best of luck to you!

• Like 1

Thanks y’all. I was diagnosed by my OBGYN. So it’s on my medical record. That’s what had me worried. I wasn’t diagnosed at a health department or STD clinic. 

• 6 months later...

Your employer has no right to look at your health records.  It has no impact on your ability to do the job. I'm a nurse and my best friend is a nurse we both ended up getting hsv2 from our boyfriends that didn't disclose to us. I specifically asked point blank if he had it and he lied to me. Eventually he said it was no big deal to have it. He didn't see how sick I got from it he was out of town working and I was home alone suffering.  We broke up after that and he has given it to his new girlfriend now too and she stayed with him. I would rather be alone than someone that lied to me about something so important.  I think it will give you more empathy for your patients in the future.  You will be surprised as to how many people have it! You dont know everybody's story on how they got it. I wish people weren't so judgmental about it.  I didn't get it from sleeping around.  He was my first boyfriend after my divorce after a long term marriage. It will not affect you getting a job as a nurse. Its nobody's business.  As a nurse you are washing your hands and wearing gloves for everything! Good luck with your career. It is very rewarding!

Freedom_Realized

Late reply but — my giver is a Nurse.  So, there's that.  He had it and supposedly didn't know.  I expected him to be more cautious about his sexual health.  Guess not!