World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Floggy

How to reduce Risk when having sex when...

Floggy

Hi Friend here,

I am totally new to this forum...

I got questions about Herpes Simplex2 (genital)

No doubt about absolutely High risk of Transmission during obvious sores / outbreak.

But..With 2 facts that...

1.Even during no-outbreak...

Transmission (from virus-shedding ?)still can happen.

2.Normal condom don't protect penis base area (where sore/outbreak used to be.)

At this point...I have the following questions to ask about How to reduce risk of Transmission, when having sex, during no outbreak/sores.

1. Does Cleaning / bathing the area (water+soap) help reduce the risk of transmission (during no-outbreak) before having sex ?

(Remove all virus possibly spreaded around)

2. Normal Condom don't protect the penis base area..How can we are 100% confident when having sex with this normal condom?

3. To your knowledge, are there any special condom that protect the penis "base" area of genital-herpes carrier?

(cover more area than normal condom does.)

4. Are there any cream /foam / gel that we can apply at our genital area (where the condom not cover)

to help reduce risk of possible transmission during sexual intercourse?

What are their product name? where I can purchase them?

5. Do I think too much about this issue? What are most people dealing about this?

I just want to have almost as close to 100% confidence as possible when having sex not to transmit to my partner.

Thank you,

Alway be positive!

VVK

I answered in the quotation below.

At this point...I have the following questions to ask about How to reduce risk of Transmission, when having sex, during no outbreak/sores.

1. Does Cleaning / bathing the area (water+soap) help reduce the risk of transmission (during no-outbreak) before having sex ?

(Remove all virus possibly spreaded around)

Yes, it would reduce the risk.

2. Normal Condom don't protect the penis base area..How can we are 100% confident when having sex with this normal condom?

You can't be. You shouldn't be.

3. To your knowledge, are there any special condom that protect the penis "base" area of genital-herpes carrier?

(cover more area than normal condom does.)

Not a condom, but there are some patches that do exist to cover the skin. I seriously question whether these would stay on if you consider sweating and friction. Some people use towels to separate themselves from direct skin-to-skin contact there.

4. Are there any cream /foam / gel that we can apply at our genital area (where the condom not cover)

to help reduce risk of possible transmission during sexual intercourse?

What are their product name? where I can purchase them?

I can't really recommend anything with confidence since I don't know how effective it would be. Olive oil has supposedly been shown to inactivate the virus (oleuropein is contained in extracts, which might not make you smell like a salad, whereas the original form might). Coconut oil also has antiviral properties - advantage is that it doesn't make you smell like a salad and it is good for your skin too. I found this site about the properties of oleuropein:

http://intelegen.com/ImmuneSystem/olive_leaf_extract_natural_defen.htm

However, I am struggling to find anything for lauric acid (from coconut oil) at this time.

There are probably other things out there as well.

5. Do I think too much about this issue? What are most people dealing about this?

You think a lot more than most people, which is commendable. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be as safe as possible.

lady lightness

My boyfriend uses plastic saran wrap (or a dental dam) when he goes down on me. And we never ever have sex when I have an outbreak or feel any prodromal tingling.

VVK

saran wrap isn't safe - virus goes through the pores

Floggy

Thank VVK so much for your information. I found some information about Olive oil extract product. Most of them is for consumed by mouth in form of Capsule.

Is it supposed to be used this way?

or...

Do you imply some olive-oil extract are in form of oil/gel to be "coated" in the area?(instead of capsule comsumed by mouth)

VVK

Floggy, I was talking about coated. Yes, you can take it orally too, but I was suggesting it as something topical to neutralize any excreted virus.

VVK

I'm not sure whether I understand what you are asking. Lauric acid has been reported to have antiviral properties. However, I can't find concrete studies that give me numbers.. all references point to articles that I cannot find. Lauric acid is found in coconut oil.

alwaysalone
saran wrap isn't safe - virus goes through the pores

well shit, there goes that idea. I hope to god it didn't get through when I was using it.