World's Largest Herpes Support Group

Sign in to follow this  
Shubhherpe

Pritelivir receives breakthrough therapy designation by FDA today

Zebra007

Sounds like really good news if your immune system is shot and good news for the rest of us. 

Shubhherpe
Posted (edited)

I think it would have both positive and negative effects.

Advantage- for immunocompromised

Disadvantage- research work for a functional cure or complete cure might slow up. And also with pretilivir being available the fundings for research work may get reduced.

Remember that even today in 2020 we are prescribed antivirals developed in 1990s. Same might happen with pritelivir. The revolution for an urgency of a functional/complete cure for hsv might get weakened.

Edited by Shubhherpe

hk81

I'm not sure that this will have an impact on the research. Otherwise for the same reason the availability of ACV & CO would have impacted the research on vaccines long time ago.

A drug and a vaccine / functional cure are 2 different things. The drug is also more expensive to the healthcare system than a vaccine, as it must be taken for life.

In the same way: HIV has some very efficient therapies, but research is still ongoing.

HPV has a very effective prophylactic vaccine, but therapeutic vaccines are still being researched and reaching clinical trials.

On the opposite of what you say, what I hope is that AiCuris will try to have pritelivir approved as soon as possible for a larger market and not only for immunocompromised (which would make a small revenue). Considering also that there are alternative therapies on the horizon that could reach the market in 10 - 15 years, AiCuris might want to have high enough earnings before something better gets approved.

TCBH
6 hours ago, Shubhherpe said:

I think it would have both positive and negative effects.

Advantage- for immunocompromised

Disadvantage- research work for a functional cure or complete cure might slow up. And also with pretilivir being available the fundings for research work may get reduced.

Remember that even today in 2020 we are prescribed antivirals developed in 1990s. Same might happen with pritelivir. The revolution for an urgency of a functional/complete cure for hsv might get weakened.

Let's hope Pritelivir does get approved for everyone suffering from herpes.  It's been a long time coming and we really want something now.  Acyclovir was created in the 70s and first prescribed in US in the 1980s.  Too long for nothing new.  With more and more info coming out about how HSV and how it may create more havoc in our bodies than just make skin sores, I don't think the race for a vaccine or cure will end any time soon.  Let's stay hopeful. 🙂

Runner278
9 hours ago, dont quit!17 said:

May 2022, will be here in no time. 

Let’s hope this information is accurate and continues along this timeframe. I know there is some thoughts from Terri Warren that suggest the trial has stopped and she doesn’t think it will be approved in the US. Let’s hope she’s wrong. I’m going to be speaking with her soon and I will ask her. 

asdfz

Does anyone know what the side effects of pritelivir are?  Has anyone on this site actually tried it? 

TCBH
On 8/7/2020 at 9:00 AM, Runner278 said:

Let’s hope this information is accurate and continues along this timeframe. I know there is some thoughts from Terri Warren that suggest the trial has stopped and she doesn’t think it will be approved in the US. Let’s hope she’s wrong. I’m going to be speaking with her soon and I will ask her. 

Where does she say that?  Make sure you're not referring to the trials from a few years back.