World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
ivanna

Myth's or not????

ivanna

:cool:Hi.... I'm new here....lol.... can ya tell??? :rolleyes: A little bit about me..... I was diagnosed 5 or 6 years ago after the gamut of STD tests at the ob/gyn. I got the call and went in and talked with the doctor. I never even suspected that I had it so imagine my shock. But I have survived the initial shock and am moving forward in life. Now, on to my question.......

I have been looking for some info online about a couple of things I heard.... with no luck. So....... here I am hoping someone can confirm or deny these for me.

1) If you had chickenpox as a child (or at any point in your life) you are more "immune" to HSV. (all I could find out is that one is herpes simplex and one is herpes varicella (?) but nothing about common antibodies or anything like that)

2) This was posted on another site I stumbled on a couple years ago and was written by a Doctor (allegedly) ....... The chances of contracting HSV-2 orally are very slim because HSV-2 does not "like" the environment of the mouth. If it is contracted orally the outbreaks are not very frequent .

I would be interested to hear if these are in fact true or simply myths.

Thanks for your help !!!!!!

MsLucy

If having had chickenpox protected you from herpes, I wouldn't have it now, nor would a lot of other people. When I was a kid (eons ago), when one kid got chickenpox, all the other moms brought their kids over so they would get it, too. (chickenpox parties) The thinking was, better to get it when you're a kid than as an adult, which is true. But herpes simplex and chickenpox are not the same virus, and having antibodies for one will not protect you from the other, unfortunately.

To answer your other question HSV1 prefers the facial area, and HSV2 prefers the genitals, and they don't seem to flourish as well in a reversed location. Outbreaks may be less frequent or severe. At least that's the general opinion, I believe.

katb

Herpes simplex and varicella zoster are different viruses and having antibodies to one doesn't protect from getting another. All herpes viruses share the ability to establish latent infection and persist for life.

And it's true that the cases of oral HSV2 infection are extremely rare.