World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Stricken

Diet?

Stricken

Can your diet really affect your chances for an ob? I had never heard that before!! Is it like an excessive amount of junk food will trigger, or just certain types of food?

VVK

Yes - plenty of evidence suggests that diet plays a role in the frequency and severity of outbreaks. There are general guidelines for certain foods that you should not eat very much, which contain high levels of the amino acid arginine. When you say junk food, throw pop in there too - it contains caffeine, which leads to a higher retention of arginine in your body. High levels of arginine contribute to the replication of the herpes virus.

Other things about junk food... High levels of blood sugar lead to the depression of your immune system, which can lead to herpes outbreaks. A lot of sugary junk food elevates your blood sugar levels. Trans fats, which are found in junk foods (and many normal foods too), lead to various disease processes and contribute to elevated blood sugar levels. There may be direct means by which trans fats affect the immune system as well.. after all, they do lodge themselves in cell walls, which affects cell functions.

There are probably other ingredients that I'm not thinking of at this moment that can contribute to the problems of herpes. I avoid junk food mostly because it is bad for your body overall.

Stricken

Wow!

Thank you so much for the thorough and speedy response!! My doctor never mentioned this to me! The strange thing is that I have not had an ob for a very long time, but then I had some pretty big life changes, which caused a lot of stress. This also led to less time to workout and my eating habits slipped. All of a sudden I have had two outbreaks in the last couple months. I chalked it up to the stress, but maybe it was the combo of the stress and the bad eating habits.

This is very, very helpful! Thanks again!! I am so glad I found this forum!! :D

3ofswords
Thank you so much for the thorough and speedy response!! My doctor never mentioned this to me! The strange thing is that I have not had an ob for a very long time, but then I had some pretty big life changes, which caused a lot of stress. This also led to less time to workout and my eating habits slipped. All of a sudden I have had two outbreaks in the last couple months. I chalked it up to the stress, but maybe it was the combo of the stress and the bad eating habits.

This is very, very helpful! Thanks again!! I am so glad I found this forum!! :D

I was thinking the same thing! That it must be the stress, but just recently I switched my diet to more wheats and have been eating a lot of nuts, I would have NEVER guessed that would have been a high contributor.

ouch

Hey Stricken...

my "trigger" foods are oats and seeds. Go figure.

I can eat anything else (although I don't recommend a lot of junk food!)

and I won't get an outbreak. I eat oats....then I better take some extra lysine while eating them because I will forsure have an outbreak. Bummer, but oh well!

Everybody is different, so you have to sort of become your own guinea pig! ;-)

callais

I don't care if I have an outbreak every single day for the rest of my life.

I will not give up my oatmeal.