Herpes Pandemic

Imagine an unfortunate time where some novel herpes virus starts spreading around and killing people (let’s say it was genetically engineered and spreading by air)

Imagine 8 months into this pandemic billions had been spent on education and prevention of the disease.

Most importantly several vaccines and new therapeutics were just on the horizon, months away from market with promising clinical trial results and all the FDA red-tape stripped away.

Imagine if the world treated Herpes as the pandemic that it really is. Perhaps not a largely deadly epidemic, but an epidemic nonetheless.

I bring this up because Moderna, one of the innovative companies using brand new, untested RNA editing technology is currently at the forefront of coronavirus vaccine development. Just under a year ago they were a candidate company for a herpes vaccine. 

Furthermore, and I think this has been discussed at length now, consider the impact that this “all hands on deck” approach to viral research of coronavirus has costed other efforts to cure things like herpes.

Just food for thought. Stay Positive y’all. 

Edited by floydmonk

I hope so, I think in a positive sense, if some new, never before approved editing technology like Moderna’s RNA vaccine is successful, it would set a precedent clearing the way for acceptance of such technology and increase funding and research to cure viral disease.

Edited by floydmonk
  • 1 year later...

Dr. Jerome’s team at Fred Hutch is working on an HSV vaccine right now.

https://www.fredhutch.org/en/news/center-news/2020/08/herpes-simplex-gene-therapy.html

They are hoping to go to human trials in the next few years. They have already eradicated 90% of the virus in guinea pigs and there are server also other company’s working on vaccines and new treatments for HSV. If anything, COVID has open doors for more advanced gene editing technology that will benefit us too! Very excited times! 

On 7/21/2020 at 4:45 PM, floydmonk said:

Imagine an unfortunate time where some novel herpes virus starts spreading around and killing people (let’s say it was genetically engineered and spreading by air)

Imagine 8 months into this pandemic billions had been spent on education and prevention of the disease.

Most importantly several vaccines and new therapeutics were just on the horizon, months away from market with promising clinical trial results and all the FDA red-tape stripped away.

Imagine if the world treated Herpes as the pandemic that it really is. Perhaps not a largely deadly epidemic, but an epidemic nonetheless.

I bring this up because Moderna, one of the innovative companies using brand new, untested RNA editing technology is currently at the forefront of coronavirus vaccine development. Just under a year ago they were a candidate company for a herpes vaccine. 

Furthermore, and I think this has been discussed at length now, consider the impact that this “all hands on deck” approach to viral research of coronavirus has costed other efforts to cure things like herpes.

Just food for thought. Stay Positive y’all. 

I hear you my friend!  It crosses my mind routinely these days that if the pharmaceutical world put the same effort into a cure for HSV, imagine how quickly our worlds would change!  It's a dream.... I'm not giving up on a cure and I know there's a decent amount of research going on but, it feels like we are just progressing sooooo slowly.... I get excited now and then when I read a new article on new studies or results from HSV research showing great promise but, I sink back to reality when you get to the part where it will be at least 5 years, 6 years, 10 years, etc before any chance of the research ever turning into something we can actually obtain.....