If someone tests positive for HSV2 (antibodies) but is totally asymptomatic, can taking antivirals to prevent shedding cause then to become symptomatic?

I've heard that even people who have never had an outbreak but test positive for antibodies can shed about 10% of the time and pass the virus. If that person was in a marriage and didn't want to pass to their partner, and took antivirals, could the antivirals possibly cause the person to start having outbreaks because the virus strengthens or becomes resistant to the meds?

Some doctors say asymptomatic people don't shed and others say opposite. Makers of antivirals say in the description they can be used by symptomatic and asymptomatic individuals to "reduce" shedding and transmission. 

Sorry if there's a thread like this but I couldn't find one.

Edited by Laguna

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Single ➵ You may like to try the Dating App

• Similar Content

• whereismyanswer
      By whereismyanswer
      Hello there. I'm a 24F, who has  had HSV 1 for 3 and a half years now. I got my first cold sore December of 2016 out of no where when I was 21. I was in school and working at a job that had me very stressed at all time. I came home one day and saw the bumps. Initially, I'd never thought anything of it as my dad always had them when I was growing up. Of course, you go on Google and after about 20 minutes of searching, you are absolutely devastated and disgusted with yourself.
      The first year after my 1st outbreak, I'd occasionally experience some shedding, but didn't get another breakout until the following year. Since that outbreak, I've pretty much steadily had cold sores every month for the last 2 and a half years. I was told birth control would help, because I was noticing outbreaks begin about a week before my cycle. Didn't change anything though.
      Earlier this year, I finally decided it was time to start suppressive therapy, given the fact that I had no success with natural remedies or hormone leveling using the birth control. I've seen no changes in the frequency of my cold sores since starting 1GM of Valcyclovior. It's been about 3 months, and I met with my doctor today to discuss the issue. She basically told me there was nothing she could do and to see a dermatologist. She also gave me the list of vitamins I already to take to try to include with my daily antiviral. I feel completely defeated. I don't know what to do now or if there is any hope. It hurts me so much because I'm so young and nothing has gotten better. Also, I don't think a dermatologist is the answer. Has anyone else experienced this?
    • Fernie
      By Fernie
      Hey guys I tested HSV 2 (IGG), Type-Spec AB 0.95 (equivocal) back on 2/27. I just retested and received my results today (blood was drawn on Monday) and it’s coming up equivocal again 🤦‍♂️. 

The results on this second test were 
      HSV 2 (IGG),TYPE-SPEC ABYour Value0.94
      Unit: index
      (NOTE)
      Index Interpretation
      ----- --------------
      <0.90 Negative
      0.90-1.09 Equivocal
      >1.09 Positive

I’ve never had an outbreak and although I’m promiscuous, I do use condoms. The amount of igg detected has dropped by .01 and I’m assuming that if I did have it it should have gone up not down. Now I’m no doctor but even the doctors are confused about the equivocal results. 

I had the first doctor tell me it’s the same as a positive but I read differently online. This same doctor also told me that if you don’t have an outbreak you can’t pass it, which is false. So I definitely didn’t trust that first doctor and went for a second opinion. 

The second opinion was altogether lost about the equivocal results. They didn’t have a good answer and suggested another test. They also examined my genital area for any outbreak (which they didn’t find because I’ve never had one). Another equivocal result this time slightly lower I’m pretty sure at this point all I can do is wait it out a month and get tested again. I wanna have sex so bad but at the same time I’m a responsible person and definitely would not want to pass anything on to anybody so I’ve been holding out until I know for sure I do or don’t have it. 

@WilsoInAus
      one last thing... one of the doctors there did say that if you come in contact with a minuscule amount (not enough to infect you, because most people do come in contact with minuscule amounts.) that that’s the reason we have the igg antibodies in our body. So I was thinking maybe I could have come in contact with a small amount and thus the reason for this equivocal amount. I dunno I’m fucking confused.
    • Fernie
      By Fernie
      I just tested HSV 2 (IGG), Type-Spec AB 0.95 H index does that mean I am positive for HSV 2? This number falls under equivocal but my doctor said I'm positive based off of this number. Is this true? 

I’m going for a second opinion and another lab test on Monday. I’ve been feeling tired lately but I think it could be because I’m stressed out from these results. I’ve never had an outbreak.
    • Fernie
      By Fernie
      I just tested HSV 2 (IGG), Type-Spec AB 0.95 H index does that mean I am positive for HSV 2? This number falls under equivocal but my doctor said I'm positive based off of this number. Is this true? 

I’m going for a second opinion and another lab test on Monday. I’ve been feeling tired lately but I think it could be because I’m stressed out from these results. I’ve never had an outbreak.
    • Hope07
      By Hope07
      Hi. I found this forum and could really do with some advice or someone to talk to. A few years ago I caught HSV-2 from my ex fiancé. He had an outbreak of a few sores when we slept together in the very early stages of us dating and told me it wasn’t anything to worry about and he had just caught himself on something. I became ill a month later and ended up in hospital. I was having really bad outbreaks as my immune system wasn’t great, and I still get outbreaks almost each month 4 years later both on my genitals and on my face. The night I remember seeing the sore, we slept together and then he wanted me to give him oral sex as it was painful for him to sleep with me. Stupidly I believed him, it didn’t look awful, just a few red marks. 
      When I got my positive result, his behaviour towards me was awful. He blamed me for being weak, would shout and swear at me and watch me cry. Especially after consultations that had left me feeling so degraded. He didn’t want me to speak to my family or friends, and told me I had betrayed him for telling my mum and a doctor he had slept with a prostitute.  He left me for a week saying he needed space, and the more ill I got the more horrible he was to me. I literally wanted to die. Those first few months are so mentally hard when you get diagnosed, and it was made even harder. 

Anyway, fast forward a year and I found a prescription. He had been treated for herpes BEFORE he had infected me. When I confronted him, he told me I was mentally unwell and hadn’t got over the death of my dad and was imagining things. He told me I was crazy, that no one would put up with me or love me except him. I broke off our engagement and 6 months later I finally found out the truth. He had known, and had also done this to another girl. The night we slept together and he had an outbreak, he had been told what to do at clinics to avoid spreading it, but said he refused to tell me or use protection because he was scared I would leave. He said he was ashamed and wanted to pretend he didn’t have it, he told me he took my choice away and it was easier to blame me for being weak with my outbreaks than it was to accept he had done this. And that he felt once we had each other we wouldn’t have to worry about finding anyone else. He said he had been horrible to me because actually he was angry with himself and it was his way of coping. 

He watched me for 9 days undiagnosed when my doctors thought it could be cervical cancer. That first outbreak is so painful and he knew what it was and could have told me or a doctor and allowed me to get medication. I lost all control of my bladder, it spread because I wasn’t aware what it was and I was mentally on the floor. I was made to feel dirty and ashamed for having herpes. 

I’m writing this, firstly to see if anyone has had anything similar. To be given this recklessly by someone you deeply love and trust who knows they have it and ignore all advice on how to prevent spreading it. Mentally that has destroyed me, especially after years of him saying I was crazy and unwell when all the time he was hiding a secret. 

Secondly, I really want him to face some sort of justice but I worry for a few reasons. I have enough evidence to prove he knew, and I think it can be classed as GBH. I’m worried because I don’t want to stigmatise HSV even more. He made me feel dirty and ashamed and that’s exactly what I’ve worked hard on telling myself it isn’t. I wouldn’t care a single bit if I had caught this by accident - but this wasn’t an accident. I totally get feeling embarrassed but to not tell someone before you sleep with someone, particularly if you’re having an active outbreak, is just so sick and twisted. Passing on herpes shouldn’t be an issue if you don’t know, but this is completely different and feels so wrong. I want him to face something, for everything he put me through both physically and mentally. And he still has no remorse for what he’s done which is the worst of it. I’m worried he will just keep on infecting women. 

Finally, we decided to go privately with some of the treatment as my doctors wouldn’t give me more than 7 days of antivirals at a time and I was having such bad outbreaks...one doctor didn’t even know what it was. I found an amazing guy in London and it allowed me to medicate more and just understand it more and he really changed my whole life in terms of dealing with it when I had outbreaks so often. When I separated with my ex I asked him to pay for the consultant I had been using, but he would only pay for it in return for me signing a non disclosure agreement so no one could find out what he had done. So now I feel gagged and silenced with no idea of what to do. I feel ashamed of even asking him to pay for it: in financially secure but I just wanted him to have to accept some kind of responsibility. He even tried to pay me money not to go to the police, which I didn’t sign.
      I just wanted to reach out to you all, and see what you think. I want to stop someone doing this, and using an infection as a way of sort of trapping someone and then mentally controlling them. I almost took my own life because I felt weak and like I had let him down. But I also worry that I would have a backlash of people saying that herpes isn’t anything bad. I certainly don’t feel that when I have painful outbreaks or mentally from what he did. I can’t imagine not telling someone especially when I had a sore outbreak. As I say, I would feel totally different if this was an accident, but this is someone knowing what they have and using it to hurt people
  • Trending Now

• Donate

If Honeycomb has helped you, please help us by making a donation so we can provide you with even better features and services.

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • 0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

Nervous about dating with herpes? Skip "the talk" and browse profiles here.

• Thomas92
      I’m not to this forum page and am looking whatever I can do to help with my reoccurring outbreaks. Ive never heard of SADBE. Any articles, videos, instructions for diluting, really anything you are willing to send to give me some insight would be awesome. 
    • Laguna
      Thanks for this. If it's true that the mRNA concept will be applied to other viruses, I wonder when they will be able to focus efforts in that direction and how long the process will be? Will things get fast tracked now or back to a snails pace? 
    • Ifeelempty
      @WilsoInAusmy results came back negative but it was only 7 days after sex. IGg, IGM and swab. All negative. She said all hers came back negative too but I don’t trust her word. I’m still worried. Should I get another test since it’s been 14 days since? 
    • floydmonk
      I have been considering this as well. In theory mRNA can cure anything. My understanding is the mRNA is like a "temporary gene editor", and it can give instructions to your cells to do practically anything, and then it is supposed to wear off. This could be done to produce an immune response to create a vaccine, or as a therapeutic. I have heard they can cure cancer with mRNA. I believe Moderna had been working on some Herpes biologic using mRNA before they became famous due to Coronavirus. I had heard of Moderna in my HSV research two years before coronavirus became a thing. Here's some links I was able to pull up: An HSV-2 nucleoside-modified mRNA genital herpes vaccine containing glycoproteins gC, gD, and gE protects mice against HSV-1 genital lesions and latent infection Moderna mRNA-1647 vaccine continues to increase durable immune responses after third dose exceeding natural cytomegalovirus infection levels What is mRNA? How Pfizer and Moderna tapped new tech to make coronavirus vaccines  
    • Kurdt01
      Saw my Dermatologist today and sent her the links for it. Gonna try to get it. The Valtrex never helped much but doesn't seem to be helping at all lately.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.