Jump to content

Positive to negative?


Recommended Posts

Around 7 months ago i tested positive for type 2 swab test. Since then i have put myself on suppression therapy as i do not want to experience another outbreak and want to minimise passing it on. Last week i had a igg blood test which has come back negative. I also have not experienced another outbreak since the first time however i have been taking a lot of natural herbal supplements that I have researched on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John777 said:

Hi,

Can you elaborate on the herbal supplements that you've been taking?

Cheers

There is more discussion about supplements on the board I've linked below. Keep in mind it's always wise to do some research on whatever you decide to take, if any.

https://honeycomb.click/forum/56-nature-has-a-remedy/

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John777 said:

Hi,

Can you elaborate on the herbal supplements that you've been taking?

Cheers

Im been taking, lysine, olive leaf, oil of oregano, astragalus, rhodiola, zinc and im also on aciclovir suppression twice a day. 
my igg levels was type 1: 0.191 and type 2: 0.500. The consultant was very sure that my body has not been exposed to either one. But I obviously got swabbed positive 8 months before. 
 

thank you

18 minutes ago, Evaluate said:

There is more discussion about supplements on the board I've linked below. Keep in mind it's always wise to do some research on whatever you decide to take, if any.

https://honeycomb.click/forum/56-nature-has-a-remedy/

Thank you, i have gone through them and have done as much research and looked at lab articles as i can. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I didn't have an outbreak for over a year. Just because it's dormant, doesn't mean you're negative. Harsh reality. Continue to practice self care, but also be honest with partners. Set boundaries as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a lot of false positive and false negative. This is one virus that you cannot completely depend on a test. The man who gave it to me tested negative but he surely had it. A lot of people might have it and not know it. Unless you have an outbreak you don't know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BlessingW said:

There is a lot of false positive and false negative. This is one virus that you cannot completely depend on a test. The man who gave it to me tested negative but he surely had it. A lot of people might have it and not know it. Unless you have an outbreak you don't know.

There are not a lot of false negative, that isn't true for HSV-2 at all where it occurs in less than 2% of people with most of those having had the virus for a long time. It certainly warrants closer examination.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Katie2994 said:

I totally get that, i just wonder why all my test are saying negative. Surely it should detect antibodies?

Hey @Katie2994 sorry I didn't see your posts before.

A lot depends on your first swab. Where was it taken from? How long did it take for a result? Was it PCR or culture? What was written on the test result? Did you receive oral sex in the days before the lesions appeared, regular sex or both?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It does warrant closer examination. I have friends that worked at Planned Parenthood, Stanford or other major hospitals. . . People who clearly have it and test negative. Although my research goes back 17 years and not sure of all the latest and greatest. I just wouldn't trust a test. I trust the symptoms. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlessingW said:

It does warrant closer examination. I have friends that worked at Planned Parenthood, Stanford or other major hospitals. . . People who clearly have it and test negative. Although my research goes back 17 years and not sure of all the latest and greatest. I just wouldn't trust a test. I trust the symptoms. 

But you have to trust tests plus symptoms. Testing has to trump symptoms as there are no unique symptoms to herpes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have to do anything sir. It is like trusting a computer over my own brain. I would have to respectfully disagree about testing trumping symptoms. Testing for herpes is not included in a STI screening for a reason. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, BlessingW said:

I don't have to do anything sir. It is like trusting a computer over my own brain. I would have to respectfully disagree about testing trumping symptoms. Testing for herpes is not included in a STI screening for a reason. 

I didn’t mean you as in you personally but as in a random individual, a third party reader for example. It is true we cannot force people to think something, but it is always a good idea to disclose the facts. 
Visual diagnoses in the hands of an expert are no more than 70% accurate. Compare this to IgG HSV-2 testing that is over 98%. Even more with a Westernblot - and a 100% with a PCR (well above threshold and barring lab mixups/contamination). Hence as I said, testing trumps symptoms is simply a statement of what is. Nothing to agree or disagree with, it just is.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the person that I contracted it from tested negative.  . . Maybe testing has been updated. Maybe I'm letting my emotions rule, but my own personal experience and knowledge tell me testing has not always been accurate. It is what it is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

Hey @Katie2994 sorry I didn't see your posts before.

A lot depends on your first swab. Where was it taken from? How long did it take for a result? Was it PCR or culture? What was written on the test result? Did you receive oral sex in the days before the lesions appeared, regular sex or both?

So my first swab was a pcr swab i think. Around July last year. The swab was taken off a blister. Orginally i thought i had thrush and thought the itching had caused blisters but the test came back as herpes 2. I havent seen the actual results it was just a phone call I received since then ive have a good 4/5 test done igg and all have tested negative. To the point the doctors are sure im losing my mind as the results are always like 0.510. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Katie2994 said:

So my first swab was a pcr swab i think. Around July last year. The swab was taken off a blister. Orginally i thought i had thrush and thought the itching had caused blisters but the test came back as herpes 2. I havent seen the actual results it was just a phone call I received since then ive have a good 4/5 test done igg and all have tested negative. To the point the doctors are sure im losing my mind as the results are always like 0.510. 
 

OK plenty to work through here.

You raise an interesting observation that sometimes herpes is indistinguishable from thrush at times, including the appearance of blisters.

Nevertheless you have a positive swab that we will take as accurate at this point. This is usually all that is required. Most people then ask their partner to test and all is confirmed. Extremely few people are then left wondering.

The most common explanation for someone in your position is that you had a culture swab that was only assumed to be HSV-2 given its genital location - but in fact it is HSV-1, typically received from oral sex. I would definitely run this possibility to ground by checking what test was applied to the swab and the actual worded result.

I am also assuming that you absolutely have had IgG tests and not say IgM? Did you get IgG HSV-1 tested as well? I'll assume you have had the correct IgG tests for now.

If this is not the explanation, then you are in rare territory and any number of low chance options now come into play. These include:

  • a contaminated/switched swab
  • a false negative on the IgG test.

So if all the above checks out and you wish to go further, I think the best two options are:

  • have another swab of an outbreak (how many outbreaks do you get a year?); and/or
  • seek out the HSV Westernblot test.
Link to post
Share on other sites
brucerbleach
20 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

But you have to trust tests plus symptoms. Testing has to trump symptoms as there are no unique symptoms to herpes.

U are all over the place wilso...you preach all over this site that herpes has specific, unique symptoms and now it doesn’t!?

Edited by brucerbleach
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, brucerbleach said:

U are all over the place wilso...all you do is preach that herpes has specific, unique symptoms. 

Do you have a point or are you just back to drive the herpes fantasy bus over everyone .... yayyy... beep beep!!

It's a new era post COVID, post Trump, you can join man, are you with us?

Link to post
Share on other sites
brucerbleach
2 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

Do you have a point or are you just back to drive the herpes fantasy bus over everyone .... yayyy... beep beep!!

It's a new era post COVID, post Trump, you can join man, are you with us?

Classic wilso...avoid the question and start talking about trump and Covid. 
 

You constantly dismiss people’s concerns on this site unless they have specific, typical, identifiable symptoms and now u say hsv has no unique symptoms. Which is it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
brucerbleach
14 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

Visual diagnoses in the hands of an expert are no more than 70% accurate.

So u r saying visuals diagnosis has the same accuracy as hsv1 igg....why completely disregard the visual diagnosis and trust the igg when they have the same accuracy?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, brucerbleach said:

Classic wilso...avoid the question and start talking about trump and Covid. 
 

You constantly dismiss people’s concerns on this site unless they have specific, typical, identifiable symptoms and now u say hsv has no unique symptoms. Which is it?

You didn't ask a question, you just parted your buttocks and let fly a foul stench of inhuman bile and junk, attacking people with your anger.

I do absolutely no such thing, please provide some evidence - I have always said herpes has no unique symptoms and its the lesions that give rise to most concern that need testing. Ring a bell??

I do not dismiss people's concerns - I embrace them and encourage people to better lives in health by challenging people's thinking. If you actually did this, then you might be healthy mind, body and soul.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, brucerbleach said:

So u r saying visuals diagnosis has the same accuracy as hsv1 igg....why completely disregard the visual diagnosis and trust the igg when they have the same accuracy?

I never said that, you know full well that the accuracy of IgG tests for recent HSV-1 is 95% or better and over 99% for Westernblot.

Is there another language I can write this up in, because the dozen times I've explained this previously clearly have not been understood sorry to say. What is your first language?

Link to post
Share on other sites
brucerbleach

I know full well that Terri Warrens heroes handbook states the accuracy of hsv1 igg is about 70%. My first language is English. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, brucerbleach said:

I know full well that Terri Warrens heroes handbook states the accuracy of hsv1 igg is about 70%. My first language is English. 

What it says:

"The other problem with the IgG test is that is misses about 30% of HSV 1 infections. As more and more cases of genital
herpes are caused by HSV 1, this poor performance can be problematic. The good news is that 100% of people in our most
recent research study who tested positive for HSV 1 at index values over 3.0 were confirmed by western blot, so with that
index value knowledge, test interpretation can be done more easily
 False positives in people who have values over 3.5 are rare but I have seen them in people with index values as high as
5.07."

As you can see, studies of recent infections show much higher specificity meaning that the 30% is skewed toward older infections.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.