Anyone there, I need some advice

Hey, my situation is quite complicated. Please I need someone gives me some advice.

14 weeks ago, I have a protected oral and vaginal intercourse with a sex worker. It was my first sexual intercourse.

I test with Capita in 3,4,5 week, both HSV I, II  igg and igm came back negative.

In the 6 week, I took a Roche test. All negative, and HSV II igg was 0.06

But in 12 week, I returned to a small city. I took a test there, and HSV II igg was 1.4(under 1.0 is negative). 2 days later, I took again, and it was 1.2. 5 days later, I took a third, and it was 1.9.

In the first 14 days, I don't find anything in my genital part.

The only sore was in the 14 week, I found a single cut-like sore at the end of my penis at midnight. And it developed scab in the morning.

I can't go back to the city right now, and someone give some advice please?

But there are some little red spots in the head of my penis. I can't feel anything on it, and it isn't higher than the skin. Not sure whether that worth mention

Hey @AlexUobby welcome to the website.

First let me apologise; I saw you post a few days back but must have imagined that I responded. Let's see if I can make up for it now.

The first thing to note is that you probably did not need to test at all. Your exposure sounds very safe and quite brief. The chances of being infected in the first instance were probably of the order of 1 in 5,000.

Next, should you have been infected, you would have expected symptoms to appear with about a week. These sores you describe 14 weeks later that would have been within the condom protected area are not indicative of herpes as a result of timing and location. A primary outbreak will generally include the site of entry to the body.

Your testing at 6 weeks was pretty conclusive.

You have tested so much that a false positive has a high chance of being in the mix. Your values scarcely register. Most infected folk would test over 5. You are in the false positive range quite distinctly.

You may assume you are negative for the time being and if you want additional comfort, test again in a few weeks time (at least). This will give time for whatever might be in your blood triggering these low positive values to dissipate. Given you had the three tests within days, they are essentially the one test. Tests so close are highly likely to have similar values.

36 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

Hey @AlexUobby welcome to the website.

First let me apologise; I saw you post a few days back but must have imagined that I responded. Let's see if I can make up for it now.

The first thing to note is that you probably did not need to test at all. Your exposure sounds very safe and quite brief. The chances of being infected in the first instance were probably of the order of 1 in 5,000.

Next, should you have been infected, you would have expected symptoms to appear with about a week. These sores you describe 14 weeks later that would have been within the condom protected area are not indicative of herpes as a result of timing and location. A primary outbreak will generally include the site of entry to the body.

Your testing at 6 weeks was pretty conclusive.

You have tested so much that a false positive has a high chance of being in the mix. Your values scarcely register. Most infected folk would test over 5. You are in the false positive range quite distinctly.

You may assume you are negative for the time being and if you want additional comfort, test again in a few weeks time (at least). This will give time for whatever might be in your blood triggering these low positive values to dissipate. Given you had the three tests within days, they are essentially the one test. Tests so close are highly likely to have similar values.

Hey, thank you so much for your advice. But I just have a huge update right now. I just found a single blister at the back of my hand. It doesn't look like a herpetic whitlow in the forum, but it is truly a blister. IMG_20210223_170913.thumb.jpg.41f2226e002a47535b9e1bd84dc76c54.jpg

I had other red pimples like this just last week, but they don't grow blisters. And my hand does feel a little twinge today.

Does that look like herpetic whitlow? I mean when it was a little milder.

Oh, s***, I think I just broke the blister. Anyway, I will still ask my doctor to take a swab there. But can herpetic whitlow so mild? And can it change its place, since the pimples I found last week was not in this area.

Hey @AlexUobby it is very easy to let fear run away from you. That is what is happening here.

From the logical point of view:

• Herpes does not wander the body trying to cause a problem like they're part of the Crusades! If you are infected genitally, then that's where you get the lesions - for most people they get lesions in very close proximity for the remainder of their lives.
  • I doubt it was even feasible to become infected on your hand with the sexual contact you described.
  • A person who is infected on their hand will typically experience lesions around the sensory nerve endings with the most likely areas being around the base of the finger nail. I am not even sure it is possible to have an outbreak where your lesion is, I've certainly never seen or heard of such a thing.

But fear of course is rarely logical. It is very common for guys visiting a prozzie for the first time to have regrets and fear a punishment. Leaving aside the obvious ethical issues of what drive a person into prostitution, the reality is that professional sex workers are way more health conscious and way more focused on protecting themselves and clients from STD/STIs and are aware of their HSV status that adds to your protection. You are multiple more times more likely to be infected by having sex with a random person you meet in a bar who quite probably has never had a herpes test in their lives.

Thank you so much for your logical analysis.

I have been anxious for about 4 months, but I can't get a FDA approved test in the moment. Based on your experience, can I ignore the positive result and move on? I have talked to Terri Warren and Dr. Hook, Terri said one thing that really concerned was the cut-like sore appeared in the 14 week. I know some single cut-like sore can be atypical herpes. I found it at 3:00 a.m. Feb 17, and it developed scab at 9:00 a.m. when I woke up.

I posted the picture here:

I know it healed a little fast. But I was afraid that I found it too late. Is this really a concern?

@WilsoInAus

Terri and Dr. Hook said that I was unlikely to have one, and advice me to take Western Blot. But I can't get one.

Can I just take my 6 week test as the final conclusion and move on? 

5 minutes ago, AlexUobby said:

@WilsoInAus

Terri and Dr. Hook said that I was unlikely to have one, and advice me to take Western Blot. But I can't get one.

Can I just take my 6 week test as the final conclusion and move on? 

Yes the odds of you having genital herpes from your episode are too low to worry about. You can have a test anytime in the future that will likely confirm your negative status. Don't sweat it for now, just add it to an STD panel next time it is appropriate to have one, say before unprotected sex with a new partner.

Hey, I just want to say I got a new situation here. I get 3 red little pimples on the back of my left hand today. I think it is very unusual. Since I checked my genital part almost every second in my spare time these days, I was a little concerned about getting a whitlow(I know the chance is very small). I will keep it update.

And a little question, why my 6 week is conclusive? Shouldn't I wait until 12 week?

@WilsoInAusI know, and I have read a lot of posts recently. And I think I know it better, and it won't just come out on my hand.

And I am planning to do another Roche test. The result may come out next week.

If it was still positive, does that mean I have herpes? I mean the baseline was 0.06. Or I understand it wrong?

And there are still one thing that concerns me so much. In the 6 week test, my HSV I igg was 0.02 and my HSV II igg was 0.06. I know they both were low. I was a little worried that HSV II igg might be on the process of seroconversion, since the HSV II igg was three times large than the other. I know it wasn't logical, but worried.

I just don't quite get how they suddenly jump to 1.2 even 1.9 after 6 weeks if there weren't seroconversion. And I saw a lot of people in this forum, and their value almost stay in the same level. And that really concerns me a lot.

No problems @AlexUobby those queries are reasonable concerns and I hope these answers give you comfort.

Every test has a minimum value (including between HSV-1 and HSV-2 from the same blood sample). This ranges from 0.01 to 0.80 in theory, but in practice more like 0.01 to 0.40. Any value in this range is very likely a minimum value and means an absence of the antibody being tested for. Hence if you get say a 0.3 value on this upcoming test, then the correct interpretation is that it is a minimum value and means no antibodies at all - negative.

IgG testing is far from perfect in terms of them being a little too sensitive and generating false positives. This is because although they try and find the best antigen that attracts only an antibody specific to the virus being tested for, this is imperfect and other proteins may be present that attach to the antigen. This is true for all IgG testing.

You will also find a very large number of people on this site whose low positives transpired to be negatives.

@WilsoInAusI have a very emergency update here. 

Yesterday I noticed a small cut-like area at the end of my penis is a little red.  But today when I see it again, I see  a single tiny yellow blister. And I think the area is out of the protection zone of condom. My doctor lives 30 km away from me, and he won't work until Monday. 

I don't know what to do

Hey @AlexUobby that's a fordyce spot, us guys have a few of those in that state at any one time. I don't recommend it, but that is a small pus ball that will roll out if you try hard enough- as I said I wouldn't do that, it will be like that for a few weeks and fade, or potentially release its contents largely of its own accord.