New Here And Going Insane

AlbertaHoyle

I was informed last week by a former sexual partner that he had tested positive. He is asymptomatic except for nerve pain. I have had no symptoms at all, except now I'm psyching myself out? We had sex once (very very briefly) 9 months ago. I have a test scheduled but I have to drive an hour to get it. I'm losing my mind. I'm 50 years old. I had a wonderful new relationship beginning...

How likely is it that just once with an asymptomatic person will give me HSV-II? I've always gotten cold sores, and I often take valacyclovir for that (especially when I know there will be lots of kissing. This guy I mentioned we dated for 4 years and I never gave him HSV 1, and I'd told him I had it. I can't stop crying, I can't concentrate at work, I'm contemplating suicide. I am not strong enough to cope with this. I know it's going to be positive. I know it. I've gone back and forth about asymptomatic testing. What should I do?

AlbertaHoyle
50 minutes ago, AlbertaHoyle said:

I was informed last week by a former sexual partner that he had tested positive. He is asymptomatic except for nerve pain. I have had no symptoms at all, except now I'm psyching myself out? We had sex once (very very briefly) 9 months ago. I have a test scheduled but I have to drive an hour to get it. I'm losing my mind. I'm 50 years old. I had a wonderful new relationship beginning...

How likely is it that just once with an asymptomatic person will give me HSV-II? I've always gotten cold sores, and I often take valacyclovir for that (especially when I know there will be lots of kissing. This guy I mentioned we dated for 4 years and I never gave him HSV 1, and I'd told him I had it. I can't stop crying, I can't concentrate at work, I'm contemplating suicide. I am not strong enough to cope with this. I know it's going to be positive. I know it. I've gone back and forth about asymptomatic testing. What should I do?

I am so grateful to have found this community. Thank you creating a space that has given me some peace for the first time since I was told I've been exposed. 

2 hours ago, AlbertaHoyle said:

It's more likely you didn't contract hsv2. But it's not far fetched that you did. That said, so far you have no symptoms and you haven't even tested, so relax a bit. I mean, contemplating suicide and you don't even know if you have hsv2? Come on Alberta!

Wait for a few months from when you had sex with that guy and then get an IGG test. Come back here and tell us the results.

For the record, I've had ghsv2 for 38 years and I still had relationships and sex. It's far from the end of the world. Further, there is some exciting research going on for preventative vaccines and a couple of cures. One is a functional cure and the other a sterilizing cure. Sterilizing cure means the virus is completely eliminated from your neurons. But these breakthroughs are 1 - 3 years from entering the clinic (i.e. human trials). And human trials will probably take several years also. So what I can tell you, as of now, the next 5 - 10+ years look promising.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
AlbertaHoyle
Posted (edited)

Thank you so much for responding. I know this forum is full of people who have dealt with a positive diagnosis for so long, and I'm being a wimp. All the research seems to say that most hsv-2 is mostly asymptomatic, including transmission, so it's perfectly silent? I'm so confused. All the research is so condemnatory; it claims asymptomatic infection is more common than symptomatic...

Sorry to be dramatic, but I was depressed before this happened. I'm 50 years old. I lost my job due to Covid. My Father just died two months ago. And now this.

Edited by AlbertaHoyle
Mconcerned1987

Very sorry about the situation, go get igG done from www.stdcheck.com 

its $45 for hsv2 test. Get it done and live with the peace of mind. If the values r below 0.91 then there is 92% chance it’s true negative. 

• Like 1
Mconcerned1987

They r offering a 15% discount now so might work out cheaper.. so it’s $30 if u buy it today and u can get the test later next week. 

Edited by Mconcerned1987
  • Like 1
33 minutes ago, AlbertaHoyle said:

Thank you so much for responding. I know this forum is full of people who have dealt with a positive diagnosis for so long, and I'm being a wimp. All the research seems to say that most hsv-2 is mostly asymptomatic, including transmission, so it's perfectly silent? I'm so confused. All the research is so condemnatory; it claims asymptomatic infection is more common than symptomatic...

Sorry to be dramatic, but I was depressed before this happened. I'm 50 years old. I lost my job due to Covid. My Father just died two months ago. And now this.

I'm sorry to hear about all these problems. It's a tough series of events to deal with. Don't feel guilty about "being a wimp" as you say. It's always scary when a person thinks they may have contracted the virus or when they initially do contract it. It took me 6 months to come to terms with it and then I went right back out there and started dating again. I always disclosed and let the chips fall where they may. I can guarantee you that if I didn't try at all, I would have far less dates than I did :)

Yes asymptomatic infection is far more prevalent than symptomatic. Asymptomatic simply means you have no symptoms. however, you are still periodically shedding the virus. When shedding occurs, you still have the potential of passing it on to a partner albeit there is less virus during shedding then a bonafied OB.

But this is presently all moot since you don't even know you have it. You can always come here and talk.

• Like 1
AlbertaHoyle
21 minutes ago, Cas9 said:

I'm sorry to hear about all these problems. It's a tough series of events to deal with. Don't feel guilty about "being a wimp" as you say. It's always scary when a person thinks they may have contracted the virus or when they initially do contract it. It took me 6 months to come to terms with it and then I went right back out there and started dating again. I always disclosed and let the chips fall where they may. I can guarantee you that if I didn't try at all, I would have far less dates than I did :)

Yes asymptomatic infection is far more prevalent than symptomatic. Asymptomatic simply means you have no symptoms. however, you are still periodically shedding the virus. When shedding occurs, you still have the potential of passing it on to a partner albeit there is less virus during shedding then a bonafied OB.

But this is presently all moot since you don't even know you have it. You can always come here and talk.

Thank you, but somehow I know I have it. And you're brave and strong. I'm neither of those things. I appreciate you listening to me whine. I admire your courage. I wish I was like you.

AlbertaHoyle
37 minutes ago, Mconcerned1987 said:

its $45 for hsv2 test. Get it done and live with the peace of mind. If the values r below 0.91 then there is 92% chance it’s true negative. 

Thanks for letting me know. I've signed up and paid under a fake name haha. The lab is an hour away. But I know it will be positive, even though it's been 9 months, and I've had no symptoms. I can feel it. I'm usually right, but only about things where I'd love to be wrong.  So.

Sorry but I'm in a very dark place right now. I don't know how everyone here is so strong. I'll know next week.

1 hour ago, AlbertaHoyle said:

I think you are reading misinformation or not quite interpreting the facts the way they are intended.

What is often referred to is that at the time of transmission, in approximately three quarters of occasions, the 'giver' is asymptomatic during the sexual act. That is what this means. It does not mean the person is asymptomatic all the time. This makes sense as many people follow the golden rule of don't bring your lesions near another person.

There is almost always an outbreak upon infection, in about three quarters of transmissions, the symptoms are troublesome enough for the person to go to a doctor or emergency for a test. 

As expressed above then, if you have not had genitals sores, the chances of an infection having taken place are getting way down to mere percentage points. All that assumes that this partner actually had HSV-2 at the time of sexual activity. This seems also on the unlikely side - it would seem that he is being somewhat dramatic too and that isn't helping the situation. He should focus on an accurate diagnosis. He's the one that needs the Westernblot or other testing to be sure of himself before opening his mouth!!

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Mconcerned1987 said:

That's not right as negative people test negative (usually!). Hence if you take a random person who tests negative, then the odds that this person is truly negative are approximately:

75% x 100% (that is three quarters of the population do not have HSV-2) + 25% x 92% =  98% chance of being negative.

Remember that the absolute bulk of the 8% have a positive swab from lesions, hence without lesions, you are approaching 100% sure you are negative.

• Like 1
Mconcerned1987
3 hours ago, AlbertaHoyle said:

Thanks for letting me know. I've signed up and paid under a fake name haha. The lab is an hour away. But I know it will be positive, even though it's been 9 months, and I've had no symptoms. I can feel it. I'm usually right, but only about things where I'd love to be wrong.  So.

Sorry but I'm in a very dark place right now. I don't know how everyone here is so strong. I'll know next week.

So u r getting the test next week? Good luck to u.. 

• Like 1
Mconcerned1987
3 hours ago, AlbertaHoyle said:

There is Quest diagnostics near by :

6170 Hamner Ave
Eastvale, CA 91752

They can be scheduled via stdcheck.com it need not be Labcorp always.. 

• Like 1
AlbertaHoyle
12 hours ago, Mconcerned1987 said:

There is Quest diagnostics near by :

6170 Hamner Ave
Eastvale, CA 91752

They can be scheduled via stdcheck.com it need not be Labcorp always.. 

Thanks, but I am in the Southeastern US, so that's pretty far away for me! I've got it set up, however.

AlbertaHoyle
17 hours ago, Mconcerned1987 said:

They r offering a 15% discount now so might work out cheaper.. so it’s $30 if u buy it today and u can get the test later next week. 

Yes. That's what it cost. I've got it set up here. I'm going tomorrow. The nearest lab is an hour away. If it's equivocal or low positive they will do a supplementary test--not sure how that one is different?

I had a 'combo' rapid (same day) 1 & 2 test done here at county health, and it was $119.00!

Mconcerned1987
14 minutes ago, AlbertaHoyle said:

Yes. That's what it cost. I've got it set up here. I'm going tomorrow. The nearest lab is an hour away. If it's equivocal or low positive they will do a supplementary test--not sure how that one is different?

I had a 'combo' rapid (same day) 1 & 2 test done here at county health, and it was $119.00!

Can you ask if they would report values? Just to be sure? You don’t want to go through all that and get disappointed again, just to be 100% sure. I don’t know what a supplement test would be following iggs. 

fingers crossed, hope you test negative and stay negative without being infected. 

I think you might be OK!

https://testdirectory.questdiagnostics.com/test/test-detail/6447/herpes-simplex-virus-1-and-2-igg-type-specific-antibodies?cc=MASTER

Methodology

Immunoassay (IA)

Reference Range(s)

Index Interpretation
<0.90 Negative
0.90-1.09 Equivocal
>1.09 Positive

This assay utilizes recombinant type-specific antigens to differentiate HSV-1 from HSV-2 infections. A index positive result cannot distinguish between recent and past infection. If recent HSV infection is suspected but the results are negative or equivocal, the assay should be repeated in 4-6 weeks. The performance index characteristics of the assay have not been established for pediatric populations, immunocompromised patients, or neonatal screening.

Sample report from Labcorb:

https://files.labcorp.com/testmenu-d8/sample_reports/164922.pdf

Edited by Mconcerned1987
  • Like 1
AlbertaHoyle
57 minutes ago, Mconcerned1987 said:

Can you ask if they would report values? Just to be sure? You don’t want to go through all that and get disappointed again, just to be 100% sure. I don’t know what a supplement test would be following iggs. 

fingers crossed, hope you test negative and stay negative without being infected. 

I think you might be OK!

https://testdirectory.questdiagnostics.com/test/test-detail/6447/herpes-simplex-virus-1-and-2-igg-type-specific-antibodies?cc=MASTER

Methodology

Immunoassay (IA)

Reference Range(s)

Index Interpretation
<0.90 Negative
0.90-1.09 Equivocal
>1.09 Positive

This assay utilizes recombinant type-specific antigens to differentiate HSV-1 from HSV-2 infections. A index positive result cannot distinguish between recent and past infection. If recent HSV infection is suspected but the results are negative or equivocal, the assay should be repeated in 4-6 weeks. The performance index characteristics of the assay have not been established for pediatric populations, immunocompromised patients, or neonatal screening.

Yes, they report values.

https://www.stdcheck.com/sample-std-test-results.php

Mconcerned1987
On 4/3/2021 at 5:40 PM, Cas9 said:

It's more likely you didn't contract hsv2. But it's not far fetched that you did. That said, so far you have no symptoms and you haven't even tested, so relax a bit. I mean, contemplating suicide and you don't even know if you have hsv2? Come on Alberta!

Wait for a few months from when you had sex with that guy and then get an IGG test. Come back here and tell us the results.

For the record, I've had ghsv2 for 38 years and I still had relationships and sex. It's far from the end of the world. Further, there is some exciting research going on for preventative vaccines and a couple of cures. One is a functional cure and the other a sterilizing cure. Sterilizing cure means the virus is completely eliminated from your neurons. But these breakthroughs are 1 - 3 years from entering the clinic (i.e. human trials). And human trials will probably take several years also. So what I can tell you, as of now, the next 5 - 10+ years look promising.

Can you pls tell where we can find this info? When I googled i still don’t see positive info about this. Experts keep saying that it acts better on animals than on humans hence they r not successful.. 

AlbertaHoyle
11 minutes ago, Mconcerned1987 said:

I think you might be OK!

Methodology

Immunoassay (IA)

Reference Range(s)

Index Interpretation
<0.90 Negative
0.90-1.09 Equivocal
>1.09 Positive

Right. The one I had at County said my hsv-1 was 15.00 and my hsv-2 was 0.28. I've just read that rapid tests can be unreliable. STD check gives values, and all positives get a supplementary test (a different kind?) to ensure accuracy.

4 hours ago, Mconcerned1987 said:

Can you pls tell where we can find this info? When I googled i still don’t see positive info about this. Experts keep saying that it acts better on animals than on humans hence they r not successful.. 

What you read is not relevant to what I was discussing. When I get a chance (sometime this week), I'll PM you and go through the details. You have some catching up to do :)

Mconcerned1987
11 hours ago, Cas9 said:

What you read is not relevant to what I was discussing. When I get a chance (sometime this week), I'll PM you and go through the details. You have some catching up to do :)

Thanks mate! R they published in articles or renouned journals? 

Edited by Mconcerned1987
57 minutes ago, Mconcerned1987 said:

Thanks mate! R they published in articles or renouned journals? 

Essentially, yes. I'll discuss all that in the PM