If i have hsv2 and i want to perform oral sex on partner who is not positive.

Hello, pretty sure I have hsv2. Had sex about 4 days ago and since the day after and to now I've had weak feeling body and symptoms I haven't been able to shake all week. Now I started having feelings of chafe in the creases of my legs and around testicles. Been having tingling feelings around the areas as well. It sucks and there is nothing I can do about it now. Just wish the person I did it with was honest and upfront when i asked if they had anything. Haven't had blisters yet but i know its just a matter of time. 

However, my question is; if i have hsv2 am I still able to perform oral sex on someone who doesn't have HSV at all without them also getting HSV2

Thank you guys!

Hey @Kyle21 and welcome to the website. 
I have no idea why you’d think this was herpes, you are looking for lesions on your penis. 
However if you have had sex with a. person whose status of any STD you are unsure about - forget herpes - you might have something serious.

I suggest you need to wait the window periods and test for all STDs.

Posted (edited)

Hello @WilsoInAusI'm currently awaiting test results. Idk the symptoms matched on the web with similar flu like weaknesses days after having unprotected sex. Then tingling/iyching and somewhat burning sensation on scrotum and in between crevasses of legs. Haven't seen any lesions yes, but also read you get warning signs hours, even days before lesions form i was under the impression the flu like symptoms are associated with my body fighting initial infection. As well as burning/itchy type of sensation in urethra today after urinating. Hoping its something else but prepared for the worse and getting in my head ready to accept the results and live with it is all i can do at this point.  

Thank you for the reply as well.

Edited by Kyle21

Hey @Kyle21 note the flu symptoms being referred to are the toxic shock style ones of the body’s immune system ramping up. Also note that there are not really any warning signs upon infection, these occur with recurrent outbreaks.

Burning in the urethra is usually a bacterial issue.

The no lesions is quite the clincher that a herpes infection did not take place.

Either way you now need to play it safe and no sex until You know you are in the clear of all the nasty STDs.

Thank you for your encouragement. I hope you are right, I just haven't felt like this several days after sex. I thought i read in a lot of web md and other areas that you will feel tingling and burning/itching days or hours before you get the initial outbreak. If you have hsv then you probably have more factual knowledge than me. Like i said i hope you are right as i know my life will change a little bit. The good thing I've realized is though is we are living in a wonderful era where vaccines and medicine for infections, diseases, disorders, etc are always coming out and being discovered. When i went and got tested and i told them i didn't know the exact sexual background of the person. They told me they didn't have anything but its always someones word. Anyways when I told them that they imedietally put me on PEP which I didn't even know was something that can stop an HIV infection from happening if you go in within 72 hours of intercourse, which I did and am currently on the medication. So just that even amazed me and made me understand i need to learn more about std and stis more thoroughly before i have any more encounters. 

Hey @Kyle21 I agree that the web is not a good place to obtain knowledge and is very often not specific enough.

No you will usually not experience the tingling before an initial outbreak. For any outbreak, the tingling/burning feeling is not a general one, but is concentrated in the spot that the lesion occurs within hours.

Something that is not made clear is the very sequential nature of herpes infections, Most symptoms are downstream of having lesions and not a menu from which to choose ‘best fit’.

So whats the usual initial signs then I guess or what was yours if you don't mind me asking? Also how long until you seen those symptoms? Its always better for me i think to hear from someone whose actually experiencing it not someone whose just seen the symptoms and reporting it. 

Hey @Kyle21 our own individual experiences and those of our partners or people we know are generally not relevant to others. The collective knowledge over 100s of cases is pretty useful however.

A good place to start is what sexual activity did you have and what protection etc. was used. We can then tell you the risks and what might be worth investigating.

@WilsoInAus Hey one more thing. Do you think that the PEP could be suppressing the symptoms at all? Like I'm having minor spots where it looks like im breaking out. My genital area has been itchy and burning feeling a little all day. Spot by my mouth has a swelled up under the skin type of pimple feeling that only thing coming out is clear juice stuff. I drank a few shots of alcohol at the end of the day and i feel like absolute crap. I know you may not be a medical professional or anything but just curious if you had an opinion. 

Thanks again!

@Kyle21 no, only HSV antivirals can address symptoms of herpes, and even then they mostly take the edge off.

What you describe is genital anxiety where you have strained your pelvic floor muscles from stress and clenching. 

Well like i said i hope you are right but this large pimple that his solid under my skin feeling kind of painful to touch that showed up along with another one right on the other side of my lower half of fave in facial hair are is starting to swell up is worrying me a little. Hopefully i get my results this morning. 

I read earlier that a person on here with their outbreaks it starts with a large pimple feeling thing then turned to blisters. Surprised me by how quick it popped up along with the other one just hours later. Like alcohol made it worse or something. 

Well @WilsoInAus I went and got tested for hsv with the blood test. My test result came back with 0.34 of IGM which they say is low level and I will have to retest. But, i feel as though i have it because I've never shown any levels before. Been having recently, as in last night, very itchy and tingly feeling in my buttocks area that made even my stomach sort of spin last night along with it. Just kind of waiting for my first outbreak. Kind of worried and nervous also feel betrayed as the person keeps playing the deny game. Even though they are the only ones i have had unprotected sex with in the past 2 years. Just an update and wondering what you thought about all of this. 

Hey @Kyle21 a few points on your testing. 

First, you have had the wrong test, you need to have IgG type specific for HSV-1 and HSV-2. The IgM has no diagnostic value at all.

Next, all tests do have a minimum value that ranges between 0.0 and 0.8. Hence a result of 0.34 is extremely likely to be a minimum value and hence indicate an absence of the relevant antibody.

I'm sorry but at this point it is not acceptable for you to feel betrayed. This person is not playing any games at all. They have nothing to deny - you have no cause to believe you have been infected with anything.

Ok maybe I am overthinking it. I am however on truvada and another drug for PEP because I didn't believe the guys full background of his sexual history after only meeting a few times. The doctor fearing I could have possibly been exposed to HIV set me up on PEP for safety assurance since it eas within 72 hours of contact. I have read before somewhere that PEP medicine like truvada has worked in clinical studies to suppress the herpes virus. Possible why I haven't had an official first outbreak and low numbers on test. Like I said could be ovethinking and reacting, but even today at work i felt like i had a rash going in between the spots i had contact with my last sexual experience 12 days ago. Its itchy and tingly all day along with off and on swollen lymph nodes under my right armpit and behind right ear. I thought maybe its just a fungal infection in my groin. Used antifungal earlier in the day but still itchy. Just nervousness maybe and I'm sorry I'm bothering you with this. I know I just do not have much experience and at a loss on what to do next here to be sure if I have hsv 1,2, or not at all. The thing is I do not want to accidentally give it to someone I trust/love or something even by accident or sexually you know? This disease is frustrating because its hard to pinpoint I believe. 

Hey @Kyle21 as far as viruses go, HSV is actually at the easier end of the spectrum given it has symptomatic infections and is detectable on the skin's surface.

The PEP medication will have no impact on the manner in which a herpes infection would behave, or your body seroconverting to produce antibodies against HSV.

General itching and tingling are not symptoms of herpes, this is something a lot of people worry about when they suspect an infection but it just isn't a symptoms that precedes an outbreak upon infection.

If you have concerns, the best thing to do is abstain from sexual contact until 12 weeks after the episode of concern and then obtain a blood test for HSV (and other STDs with the longer window periods). The correct test to obtain is a blood test for HSV IgG antibodies, type specific for HSV-1 and HSV-2. This test can be readily obtained through your usual doctor who will fill in their typical pathology requisition form. It can be useful to request a Herpeselect test that is manufactured by Focus diagnostics.

Ok thank you again @WilsoInAus for all of your shared experience and help! I will look into trying to test again. You are correct though at the end of the day its just a virus and I can't let it control my every thought, worry, or emotion.