Did COVID-19 vaccine trigger your outbreak? (survey)

StayStrongOk

Hello everyone. Hope you are doing fine.

This question is for people who have already taken COVID-19 vaccine shot (1/2/any dose).

1. Did you get your Herpes outbreak after you get the shot and you are convinced it was the vaccine that triggered it?

2. Which variant of the vaccine you took? (Pfizer / AstraZeneca / Sputnik / etc.)

3. Do you advice taking Herpes antiviral before getting the vaccine?

In my country it is encouraged to take the vaccine but not compulsary. I never noticed HSV outbreak on myself but tested positive with Igg HSV1. I am not wishing to start getting outbreaks. I know many people have HSV1 that would have taken the vaccine but I still want to hear the experience from people here. I have registered for the vaccine btw and hoping to continue my decision to proceed.

Thank you.

Hello "StayStrong"..... I received both my shots of the COVID vaccine (each shot was 3 weeks apart)....I had second shot done the first week of March .... I received the Pfizer vaccine.... I did not have any HSV outbreak (I have HSV2) after either shot.  I continued taking my daily suppressive antiviral (famvir) before, during and after my shots as usual.    I have not heard or read any information saying the COVID vaccines can trigger an HSV outbreak.... let's see if others that may read this can provide their reactions (or lack of) following their vaccinations....

7 hours ago, StayStrongOk said:

Hello everyone. Hope you are doing fine.

This question is for people who have already taken COVID-19 vaccine shot (1/2/any dose).

1. Did you get your Herpes outbreak after you get the shot and you are convinced it was the vaccine that triggered it?

2. Which variant of the vaccine you took? (Pfizer / AstraZeneca / Sputnik / etc.)

3. Do you advice taking Herpes antiviral before getting the vaccine?

In my country it is encouraged to take the vaccine but not compulsary. I never noticed HSV outbreak on myself but tested positive with Igg HSV1. I am not wishing to start getting outbreaks. I know many people have HSV1 that would have taken the vaccine but I still want to hear the experience from people here. I have registered for the vaccine btw and hoping to continue my decision to proceed.

Thank you.

I have had my flu and Moderna shot and I have not had any outbreaks. It does not seem to agitate my GHSV2. I have had herps for more years than I can count. I do recommend getting vaccinated for yourself and others around you. Just my opinion.

Stay safe, Aces ;)

IcantThinkofaName

I was also worried about the vax triggering an OB .

I got the first dose of Moderna and I did NOT have an OB or any HSV symptoms, not even a tingle or twinge. I am not on any suppressives either. My immunologist friend told me that, if anything,he thought  the Vax would ramp up ones immune system and that one would not get an OB because of that.

I did have mild symptoms from the vax though, some nausea/queezy feeling, and leg cramps and a general not well feeling,slept  12 hours, but again, all mild, nothing major. Sore arm at injection site, maybe mild to moderate.

StayStrongOk

Hi @IcantThinkofaName, thanks for responding. Glad you didn't get an outbreak after the vax.

I think those you mentioned are regular side effects after taking the vaccine. Increased new immune activity in the body causes tiredness.

Anyone has taken the AstraZeneca vaccine? I might be getting this shot in my country.

• 2 weeks later...

I first found out I was exposed to hsv2 in early January. I never had an outbreak that I knew of. I had my 1st moderna shot March 14 and my 1st hsv2 outbreak a couple days later.  it was very minor.  I took valtrex and it cleared in 3 or 4 days. I had my 2nd moderna shot April 14. I had a minor out break the next day. I took valtrex and was gone in 2 days. I  suppose it could be coincidence but...after my 2nd outbreak I strongly suspected a tie. I wouldn't let this affect my decision to get the vaccine. 

To those reading this thread if the question going through your mind is "should I get the vaccine?" the answer is yes, get it. While I have had no issue myself after taking the vaccine, even if I knew I was going to get an outbreak ahead of time I would absolutely take the risk to ensure that I do my part to lesson the burden on the healthcare system, and to help protect my family and friends against COVID-19.

Keep in mind everybody is different and may have different underlying health issues than you. HSV won't kill you or anyone else, but COVID-19 can be deadly. Do your part to protect the ones you love and get the vaccine offered to you. With any luck the same technology used to make the COVID-19 vaccinations could be used to create a HSV vaccine one day.

As an aside, I did get the Pfizer vaccine and the only side effect I had was a sore arm for two days. Definitely worth it.

• 6 months later...

I have genital HSV1 that was dormant for 8 years. I was actually misdiagnosed and told I had it then told I didn’t. 

Fast forward to April of this year - I had a severe outbreak after the first Moderna vaccine shot, as if it was my first. Fever chills and a painful outbreak. I also had the same after the second, fever chills getting sick and a painful outbreak. It was lasting so long, it felt it would never end. I’ve now been taking valacylovir daily. No outbreak since.  

It’s been 6 months so I recieved my booster yesterday. I’ve felt some tingling sensations and I have a low grade fever the morning after. Taking extra dose of the medicine to try and prevent an outbreak, fingers crossed. For me, there’s no doubt somehow the vaccine triggered my outbreak. I still think the benefits of the COVID vaccine outweigh these side effects. But I’m hoping to get pregnant soon and I’m worried about future boosters and taking the valacyclovir when I’m pregnant. I’m not sure what I’ll do. Doctors are having a hard time acknowledging to me that there’s a connection so I’m not getting much help there.