When will this end?! 1 month of Primary OB

Hello all!

I was recently diagnosed with HSV-2 in July and my first outbreak happened on August 13th. I had the chills, nerve/ prickly feeling, and the burning prodrome feeling. I started taking Valtrex and lysine 5 days into the OB and it kinda got better but the itching and nerve tingling persisted. I even started getting sores while on the Valtrex

It has been over a month and my outbreak is still going! I recently switch over to Acyclovir and am STILL experiencing the itching and occasional prodrome burning feeling. My question is: Can primary OBs to last this long? I am relatively healthy. I remembered that I had my Covid shots in April and I also have 2 HPV shots in May and July. Could that be why? 

**TL/DR:** I have been having my first OB for over a month. Is this normal? 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, HCT53 said:

Hello all!

I was recently diagnosed with HSV-2 in July and my first outbreak happened on August 13th. I had the chills, nerve/ prickly feeling, and the burning prodrome feeling. I started taking Valtrex and lysine 5 days into the OB and it kinda got better but the itching and nerve tingling persisted. I even started getting sores while on the Valtrex

It has been over a month and my outbreak is still going! I recently switch over to Acyclovir and am STILL experiencing the itching and occasional prodrome burning feeling. My question is: Can primary OBs to last this long? I am relatively healthy. I remembered that I had my Covid shots in April and I also have 2 HPV shots in May and July. Could that be why? 

**TL/DR:** I have been having my first OB for over a month. Is this normal? 

Yes, they can last that long. Subsequent OBs are typically shorter.

Hey @HCT53 and welcome to the website.

There is something amiss here and I suggest you do need to get to the bottom of a few things.

You cannot be diagnosed with HSV-2 in July and then experience a primary outbreak from 13 August. Herpes does not work that way. A primary outbreak is when you have been recently infected and hence have no antibodies and related immune responses.

What you describe might be a primary outbreak, but this could only come from sexual activity with am infected partner in the week leading into 13 August (was this possibly the case?).

There are hence 3 possibilities:

• this is a primary outbreak from infection in the days leading into 13 August;
  • you are having a severe recurrent outbreak that would indicate you have a more serious underlying condition to address; or
  • this is not a herpes outbreak but an independent skin condition.

I really feel the best thing you can do is see a doctor and obtain a swab of the sores for correct diagnosis of what might be causing this. 

What did the July diagnosis of HSV-2 consist of? What were the results of any blood test taken?

Also could you possibly describe the sores a little more... where are they located and what do they look like to you? Do they have pus in them?

6 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

Hey @HCT53 and welcome to the website.

There is something amiss here and I suggest you do need to get to the bottom of a few things.

You cannot be diagnosed with HSV-2 in July and then experience a primary outbreak from 13 August. Herpes does not work that way. A primary outbreak is when you have been recently infected and hence have no antibodies and related immune responses.

What you describe might be a primary outbreak, but this could only come from sexual activity with am infected partner in the week leading into 13 August (was this possibly the case?).

There are hence 3 possibilities:

• this is a primary outbreak from infection in the days leading into 13 August;
  • you are having a severe recurrent outbreak that would indicate you have a more serious underlying condition to address; or
  • this is not a herpes outbreak but an independent skin condition.

I really feel the best thing you can do is see a doctor and obtain a swab of the sores for correct diagnosis of what might be causing this. 

What did the July diagnosis of HSV-2 consist of? What were the results of any blood test taken?

Also could you possibly describe the sores a little more... where are they located and what do they look like to you? Do they have pus in them?

So I am confirmed to have HSV-2 from an initial IgG blood test and the Western Blot. I did not have sex the week before the 13th but if I did it would be with my partner of 3 years who is negative.

From my understanding, they said it is likely I have had this for a while and probably had outbreaks so mild I don’t know it was herpes until now. The only sores I have seem are just a few bumps that don’t hurt and look like ingrown hairs. They appear and disappear quickly. I have had bumps that had pus in them before though, but again they looked like ingrown hairs so idk. 

Like I said I don’t know if this was triggered by multiple vaccines leading up to august or if something else is going on. 

4 hours ago, Cas9 said:

Yes, they can last that long. Subsequent OBs are typically shorter.

I am still going to see my doctor as the antivirals are not working but that gives me some hope that this is not something serious. 

1 hour ago, HCT53 said:

I am still going to see my doctor as the antivirals are not working but that gives me some hope that this is not something serious. 

My first OB was over a month. Subsequent OBs were pretty much 1 - 2 weeks

4 hours ago, HCT53 said:

So I am confirmed to have HSV-2 from an initial IgG blood test and the Western Blot. I did not have sex the week before the 13th but if I did it would be with my partner of 3 years who is negative.

From my understanding, they said it is likely I have had this for a while and probably had outbreaks so mild I don’t know it was herpes until now. The only sores I have seem are just a few bumps that don’t hurt and look like ingrown hairs. They appear and disappear quickly. I have had bumps that had pus in them before though, but again they looked like ingrown hairs so idk. 

Like I said I don’t know if this was triggered by multiple vaccines leading up to august or if something else is going on. 

That all means you have had HSV-2 for potentially years.

I think if I am reading you correctly you are saying that the sores you are having right now are like little bumps that appear and disappear quickly?

It seems like what you are experiencing may not be a herpes outbreak. The other symptoms you describe will very likely be followed by ulcerating sores. If there are no ulcerating sores then the chances herpes is a cause is quite minimal. 

I think the fact that antivirals are doing little for you is confirming that this is not a herpes related event for you.

Maybe the vaccines are causing an immune system issue for you but of course you'll need your doc to help out here. I suspect this is likely to resolve in time.