Help !!! Herpes or friction burn ??

So I’ve recently recovered from frenulum surgery on my penis. I was masterbating on Friday night and felt really dry. Decided to use lube (I’m uncircumcised) after finishing I wiped up and went to bed. Didn’t do a thorough clean.. the next day I notice some irritation on the left side of my penis. No pain but small friction like sores with a tiny amount of blood (only after I dried it with some toilet paper) I freaked out at first but calmed myself down and brushed it off as the redness went away. Later that night Saturday I started to masterbate again before deciding I didn’t want to. I used the lube that time as well. The next day that area was even more inflamed and so then I really panicked. Monday morning the inflammation was gone and I couldn’t see any type of sore or anything. I had no pain or any physical irritation.  Brushed it off as me being too rough and having some reaction to the lube. Tuesday night comes around and I get extremely  drunk with some friends and end up having sex with this girl. I used a condom but kept having whiskey dick i eventually gave up after about 15 min of trying.  Now today is Wednesday and I woke up with some more friction burn like sores (not bleeding) and a red ring around my head in the exact area where the sores are. Now I’m wondering if I’m experiencing a breakout (been tested multiple times in the past and always have been negative) or I’ve just been too rough with my penis.

Edited by Anon503
1 hour ago, Anon503 said:

So I’ve recently recovered from frenulum surgery on my penis. I was masterbating on Friday night and felt really dry. Decided to use lube (I’m uncircumcised) after finishing I wiped up and went to bed. Didn’t do a thorough clean.. the next day I notice some irritation on the left side of my penis. No pain but small friction like sores with a tiny amount of blood (only after I dried it with some toilet paper) I freaked out at first but calmed myself down and brushed it off as the redness went away. Later that night Saturday I started to masterbate again before deciding I didn’t want to. I used the lube that time as well. The next day that area was even more inflamed and so then I really panicked. Monday morning the inflammation was gone and I couldn’t see any type of sore or anything. I had no pain or any physical irritation.  Brushed it off as me being too rough and having some reaction to the lube. Tuesday night comes around and I get extremely  drunk with some friends and end up having sex with this girl. I used a condom but kept having whiskey dick i eventually gave up after about 15 min of trying.  Now today is Wednesday and I woke up with some more friction burn like sores (not bleeding) and a red ring around my head in the exact area where the sores are. Now I’m wondering if I’m experiencing a breakout (been tested multiple times in the past and always have been negative) or I’ve just been too rough with my penis.

Hey Anon503..... sounds more like friction issues but without actually seeing what you refer to as "sores" hard to say with certainty that it is not something else going on down there (including possible herpes).... are the sores open or liquid filled?  Do they scab over during healing?  Have you had unprotected sex in recent past?  Have you fully healed from your surgery?  If not, is it possible you agitated areas that were still healing? When was your last test for HSV?  If you have sores and want some peace of mind, have the sores swabbed by a doctor and/or ask for a IgG blood test specific for HSV1 and HSV2..... good luck.

I have been fully healed from my surgery  but it's also given access to pull back more and is probably taking a little more damage than what it's used to. I have had unprotected sex in the past and the last time I got tested for HSV was in the spring. since then I have had unprotected sex with one person and then unprotected oral with 3. These sores were flat and mishaped and opened. But there was no crusting over and the redness and sores look like they're almost completely gone or getting close to even though it has just been a day. All of this is under my foreskin on the skin under my head. I can see a red ring  around my penis that I assume is from the condom faceted around trying to come off as I had whisky dick. today some of the sores looked a little spaced out today. Is it possible for a break out to occur on one side clear up and then immediately occur on the other ? Im getting tested on tuesday but nervous that might be too late. 

On 9/15/2021 at 10:10 PM, Anon503 said:

Picture of it today is my profile header

it is possible to get sores on one side then they clear then another outbreak occurs in another area of your penis..... how fast are these sores healing?  a couple of days?  longer?   The picture you have on your profile is tough to say with certainty it's herpes.... it has some of the characteristics of a herpes sore but, just not certain.  If you have a test set for Tuesday are you getting an IgG blood antibody test specific for HSV1 and HSV2?  If there are sores at that time, see if they can swab them and run the viral culture PCR test.... 

On 9/19/2021 at 7:21 PM, CHT said:

it is possible to get sores on one side then they clear then another outbreak occurs in another area of your penis..... how fast are these sores healing?  a couple of days?  longer?   The picture you have on your profile is tough to say with certainty it's herpes.... it has some of the characteristics of a herpes sore but, just not certain.  If you have a test set for Tuesday are you getting an IgG blood antibody test specific for HSV1 and HSV2?  If there are sores at that time, see if they can swab them and run the viral culture PCR test.... 

They cleared in around 2-3 days each time. The first I noticed was Saturday and it was cleared by Monday night and the second time was Wednesday and it was cleared by Saturday. Today I was rubbing the area trying to clean some smegma that built up and noticed a small looking flat sore. It’s already looks completely healed.. I’m going to get a swab test. I’ve already gotten blood tests and have come back negative. I’m too scared to get another blood test.. I’m going to get a pcr test… 

On 9/21/2021 at 1:35 AM, Anon503 said:

They cleared in around 2-3 days each time. The first I noticed was Saturday and it was cleared by Monday night and the second time was Wednesday and it was cleared by Saturday. Today I was rubbing the area trying to clean some smegma that built up and noticed a small looking flat sore. It’s already looks completely healed.. I’m going to get a swab test. I’ve already gotten blood tests and have come back negative. I’m too scared to get another blood test.. I’m going to get a pcr test… 

Ask for a swab PCR test but, remember that if there isn't enough fluid there to swab, or if the sore is already in the healing stage, the test could come back as non-conclusive.... when was your last blood test?  Was it specific to HSV1 and 2 (IgG antibody test)?

On 9/22/2021 at 6:30 PM, CHT said:

Ask for a swab PCR test but, remember that if there isn't enough fluid there to swab, or if the sore is already in the healing stage, the test could come back as non-conclusive.... when was your last blood test?  Was it specific to HSV1 and 2 (IgG antibody test)?

I showed the doctor pictures and the timeline and she said she was confident it wasn’t herpes. The last blood test I had for herpes was two years ago but both were negative and it was an LgG antibody test. I got swabbed for herpes this spring amd the results were negative. I just had friction bumps then.. the doctor said I didn’t need a swab test and only ordered me to get a urine test. .. since Tuesday the sores came back but then have already started to disappear.. I had sex with a condom Wednesday and Thursday night.. I think I might have a yeast infection…

23 hours ago, Anon503 said:

I showed the doctor pictures and the timeline and she said she was confident it wasn’t herpes. The last blood test I had for herpes was two years ago but both were negative and it was an LgG antibody test. I got swabbed for herpes this spring amd the results were negative. I just had friction bumps then.. the doctor said I didn’t need a swab test and only ordered me to get a urine test. .. since Tuesday the sores came back but then have already started to disappear.. I had sex with a condom Wednesday and Thursday night.. I think I might have a yeast infection…

glad you talked to your doctor..... if she believes it's not herpes related then I won't argue with that.... plus if your tests show no HSV then you must be dealing with something more like friction sores or perhaps a different dermal issue.... hopefully you can get that under control and clear up any sores quickly.  best of luck

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/25/2021 at 6:53 PM, CHT said:

glad you talked to your doctor..... if she believes it's not herpes related then I won't argue with that.... plus if your tests show no HSV then you must be dealing with something more like friction sores or perhaps a different dermal issue.... hopefully you can get that under control and clear up any sores quickly.  best of luck

Welp… went looking deeper and turned out to be GHSV1…  got swabbed and everything . pretty bummed but have tried to come to peace with it. Only thing is I keep getting reoccurring OB even after taking valtrex. I’m confused because I thought HSV1 was supposed to not be active down there 

20 hours ago, Anon503 said:

Welp… went looking deeper and turned out to be GHSV1…  got swabbed and everything . pretty bummed but have tried to come to peace with it. Only thing is I keep getting reoccurring OB even after taking valtrex. I’m confused because I thought HSV1 was supposed to not be active down there 

so, you tested positive for GHSV1 via the swab test?  Not by an IgG antibody blood test? Are the OBs severe?  Are they coming often?   

GHSV1 in its initial stages (early infection) can cause outbreaks.... the good news is that your odds of outbreaks is significantly lower than those with HSV2 and the number of outbreaks are also much less with GHSV1 than HSV2 especially as time goes on.... on average you may see only one outbreak per year versus 4 to 5 for those with HSV2.... the severity of the outbreaks from GHSV1 are also milder than HSV2 (you may not even notice them with time or go completely asymptomatic).  You may not even need antivirals as time goes on. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well looks like I’m one of the small fucked percentages of people who get constant HSV1 OB cause I’ve had one off and on since September 10 now.. goes away and comes back in a couple days. Starting to get pretty depressed on the whole issue

• Sad 1
On 10/25/2021 at 2:17 PM, Anon503 said:

Well looks like I’m one of the small fucked percentages of people who get constant HSV1 OB cause I’ve had one off and on since September 10 now.. goes away and comes back in a couple days. Starting to get pretty depressed on the whole issue

Hey "Anon503".... sorry to hear that the results indicate GHSV1.... Are you taking antivirals (Valacyclovir, Famvir, Acyclovir) to control the outbreaks?  If not, I'm sure your doctor would prescribe for you if the OBs are frequent.... please try not to let it get you too down (I know, easy for me to say, but not so easy to do).... the stress only makes outbreaks that much harder to control.... with time, the OBs become less frequent and less severe.... trust me on this.  And again, the one thing in your favor is that HSV1 in the genital tract is sort of "out of it's territory" it can occur in this area but, all the data show it is less likely to be a long-term problem versus if it were oral HSV1.... Also, are you staying away from foods that can trigger an outbreak (nuts/seeds of all sorts, chocolate, large amounts of caffeine)?  Again, try to keep it all in perspective, I know it sucks, but it gets much easier with time and you will learn not to stress over it nearly as much as in these early days after contracting it.... let me know if you have any questions/concerns.... I'll do my best to answer them.... take care for now.