Very very anxious PLEASE HELP

Charlotte91

Hi,

I really need someone to help me ASAP

I have been getting cold sores now and then for years now, never bothered me untill I became a mom. I Just recently found out about asymptomatic shedding when looking in to precautions I should take when I got a cold sore Just a week after my second baby was born. Since finding out about this I have been loosing my mind over this and am so so so scared of infecting my now 8 week old baby which could be fatal. My mind seems to spiral out of control and I thank I have developed full blown OCD about this. I have been getting psychological help but the (mental) hearth care professionals I see dont know the facts about herpes so they label all my fears as unrealistic. I would really benefit from some answers to questions I have about transmission risks. If you can, please help me by providing me with the correct information so I can Just enjoy my life and baby's again because now I am Just in a constant state of panic. 

1. Is there any risk in talking while holding my baby when I have no outbreak (saliva droplets falling on her lips of in her mounth?) When I do have an outbreak I weer a mask!

2. Is there any risk in my baby touching my face and then quickly putting her hand in her mounth (when no active outbreak is present)

3. My 2 year old got a hold of my water bottle last week and drank from it a few minuten after I did (No outbreak). Could he contract it this way?

4. My 2 year old never had any signs of OHSV1. Since I only Just found out about asymptomatic shedding, I only took precautions in the past when having an active outbreak. Now I worry I might have infected him somewehere in the last two years. I worry he might be asymptomatic shedding and could infect my 8 week old. He does not hold or kiss her but he does drool a lot and put his hands in his mouth all the time and then touches all out furniture, my clothes, ... I worry my baby would contract from my toddler when for example I hold her and there is drool from my toddler on my shirt. Is this possible?

Tonight I put some cream om my 2 year olds face (a thik barrière cream Since he has sensitive skin). I rubbed it into the skin around his nose en mouth and on his lips. After this I quickly washed my hand with shower cream Since in ran out of hand soap. After this I put some cream on my 8 week olds face and also rubbed it in on her lips and onto some broken skin around her mouth. A few minutes later I washed my hands with some soap and noticed still some of the barrière cream I used on my toddlers face washed off my hand. Now i am afraid the shower cream did not effevtively remove all the barrière cream and some still.came off.  I now worry that if my 2 year old has OHSV1 and Is any shedding, I got the virus on my hands when applying the barrière cream and now have passed it on my hand from my toddler to my baby I  this way . Would this be possible?

Please answer quickly... I am losing my mind.....

Thanks a lot

Charlotte

Hi @Charlotte91 the first thing to note is that a HSV-1 infection is extremely rarely fatal. There are several other greater risks including COVID. In many ways it can be preferable to become infected in childhood than adulthood!

To answer your questions about transmission odds:

1. Zero chance, no one is known to have been infected this way.

2. Zero chance. No one has been known to have been infected this way.

3. Zero chance, transmission via an object from even active cold sores has not been shown to be feasible.

4. It isn’t really possible For a child to have an asymptomatic infection of a primary HSV type.

• Thanks 1

On 1/16/2022 at 1:11 AM, WilsoInAus said:

Hi @Charlotte91 the first thing to note is that a HSV-1 infection is extremely rarely fatal. There are several other greater risks including COVID. In many ways it can be preferable to become infected in childhood than adulthood!

To answer your questions about transmission odds:

1. Zero chance, no one is known to have been infected this way.

2. Zero chance. No one has been known to have been infected this way.

3. Zero chance, transmission via an object from even active cold sores has not been shown to be feasible.

4. It isn’t really possible For a child to have an asymptomatic infection of a primary HSV type.

Thank you so much for your answers. This helps a lot. I have a few more questions, I would really apreciate your input on these. 

On my previous question (no. 4) you said my 2 year old could not be asymptomatic shedding. Is it true then that you have to have had an outbreak and only after one or more outbreaks you can shed asymptomaticly? I wonder if he could have contracted the virus from me somewhere in the past 2 years and never experienced an outbreak or it had gone unnoticed and now shed asymptomaticly and could infect the newborn baby. 

Also, since giving birth 8 weeks ago, I have burning sensations in the genital area. I had my follow up consult at the OB 2 weeks ago and she said the tear from birth healed fine. Yesterday when in the shower I felt the burning sensation again so I had a look with a mirror. I noticed tears/cuts on both sides, in between the inner and outer labia (where they "meet", the "fold" is). I took pictures (quite embarrassing but well..). I guess the burning sensation i felt over the last few weeks when water touched it during a shower must have been these tears and not the inner tear from Giving birth. The OB only looked at the inner tear so she must have missed the "cracks" on both sides between the labia. 

My husband and I have been together almost 11 years, he never had any genital nor oral lesions. The last time we had intercourse was in July of 2021 due to pregnancy complications afterwords. So it had been 6 months. I am currently on valtrex for the first time in my life (since 4 weeks) to prevent cold sores from reoccurring. The first 3 weeks i took 500mg daily but since one week I am on 1000 mg (500 mg 2 times a day). I never had any lesions genitally in the past and only got these tears for the first time now since Giving birth. I guess it would be weird to get an genital outbreak for the first time (no sex in last 6 months and same partner for 10 years so if it is herpes, it would be an old infection) when I just started taking valtrex... I must also add I am nursing my 8 week old baby (a lot..) so experience vaginal dryness because of the hormonal changes that come with full time nursing. The cuts/cracks are present on both sides, in the "crease"/fold between inner and outer labia.

Anyway, Giving all these circumstances and looking at the pictures, is it likely for this to be herpes? Or would it rather be irritation/cracks due to dryness?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/JW5F0GV

13 hours ago, Charlotte91 said:

Thank you so much for your answers. This helps a lot. I have a few more questions, I would really apreciate your input on these. 

On my previous question (no. 4) you said my 2 year old could not be asymptomatic shedding. Is it true then that you have to have had an outbreak and only after one or more outbreaks you can shed asymptomaticly? I wonder if he could have contracted the virus from me somewhere in the past 2 years and never experienced an outbreak or it had gone unnoticed and now shed asymptomaticly and could infect the newborn baby. 

Also, since giving birth 8 weeks ago, I have burning sensations in the genital area. I had my follow up consult at the OB 2 weeks ago and she said the tear from birth healed fine. Yesterday when in the shower I felt the burning sensation again so I had a look with a mirror. I noticed tears/cuts on both sides, in between the inner and outer labia (where they "meet", the "fold" is). I took pictures (quite embarrassing but well..). I guess the burning sensation i felt over the last few weeks when water touched it during a shower must have been these tears and not the inner tear from Giving birth. The OB only looked at the inner tear so she must have missed the "cracks" on both sides between the labia. 

My husband and I have been together almost 11 years, he never had any genital nor oral lesions. The last time we had intercourse was in July of 2021 due to pregnancy complications afterwords. So it had been 6 months. I am currently on valtrex for the first time in my life (since 4 weeks) to prevent cold sores from reoccurring. The first 3 weeks i took 500mg daily but since one week I am on 1000 mg (500 mg 2 times a day). I never had any lesions genitally in the past and only got these tears for the first time now since Giving birth. I guess it would be weird to get an genital outbreak for the first time (no sex in last 6 months and same partner for 10 years so if it is herpes, it would be an old infection) when I just started taking valtrex... I must also add I am nursing my 8 week old baby (a lot..) so experience vaginal dryness because of the hormonal changes that come with full time nursing. The cuts/cracks are present on both sides, in the "crease"/fold between inner and outer labia.

Anyway, Giving all these circumstances and looking at the pictures, is it likely for this to be herpes? Or would it rather be irritation/cracks due to dryness?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/JW5F0GV

Hi Charlotte.... those photos do not look like HSV in my opinion.... more likely scar healing/irritation from giving birth just a couple of months ago.... might be worth having your gyno take a look and see if there is something she can prescribe to speed up the healing.  Best of luck...

• Thanks 1

Hi @Charlotte91 note that it isn't really feasible for your 2 year old to have acquired HSV-1 without you knowing. He'd have had a pretty bad primary outbreak on his lips that you wouldn't miss!

1 hour ago, CHT said:

Hi Charlotte.... those photos do not look like HSV in my opinion.... more likely scar healing/irritation from giving birth just a couple of months ago.... might be worth having your gyno take a look and see if there is something she can prescribe to speed up the healing.  Best of luck...

Thanks a lot. I have an appointment next Thursday at the gynecologist. 

1 hour ago, WilsoInAus said:

Hi @Charlotte91 note that it isn't really feasible for your 2 year old to have acquired HSV-1 without you knowing. He'd have had a pretty bad primary outbreak on his lips that you wouldn't miss!

Thanks a lot! What would your opinion be on the photos? Thanks in advance. I feel like herpes is suddenly taking over my life

12 hours ago, CHT said:

Could you maybe help me with another question (so sorry for asking but my mind is racing). To take the photos and look at the tears I touched the area with my hands. My hands are very damaged as I have bad eczema and there are a lot of breaks in the skin of my hands. I did wash my hands very well after taking the pics. Last intercourse with hubby was almost 6 months ago. He is the only serial partner I have had for over 10.years. 

If this does turn out to be HSV after all, could I have contracted with withlow by touching it with my very raw hands?

@WilsoInAus could I have your opinion on this too?

I'm very sorry for bothering you both but I am freaking out a lot and worrying for my children's safety

Edited by Charlotte91

Note: the tears/cuts seem to have improved a lot today. Still lot of redness and burning when taking a shower or peeing but the tears/cuts are almost gone. I do feel like when I would "stretch" the area by pulling the skin or so, the tears would reappear. I don't know if this makes it less/more probable to be HSV. Could this all just be irritation or due to dryness? Still very worried this could be the "paper cuts" I read about. Also losing my mind thinking I could have contracted whitlow by touching the area yesterday. I hope that giving the last intercourse was almost 6 months ago would make it less likely to catch whitlow if it was HSV (I read autoinoculation is unlikely after 4 months, is this correct? ) and having the same partner for a decade plus being on valtrex 1g a day would make it less likely for this irritation to be HSV

Got a pimple around my nose today and HSV is the first thing that popped into my mind... this is crazy 😪

Edited by Charlotte91

12 hours ago, WilsoInAus said:

Hey @Charlotte91 it is not feasible that you have spread your own oral infection to another part of your body. Your immune system provides near perfect immunity against this occurrence.

Thanks @WilsoInAus you cleared that out for me. This is not what I am worried about now. I worry the tears in the pictures I put up are HSV2. I would greatly appreciate your opinion on the pictures for the possibility of it being HSV2 giving the circumstances I mentioned (taking valtrex for oral HSV1, recently giving birth, vaginal dryness due to hormones/breastfeeding, the location of the tears and no sores/blisters being present).

Also, if the vaginal tears would be HSV2,  do you think it would be possible to contract whitlow from touching them with my very damaged hands with open cracks ( giving last intercourse was nearly 6 months ago and same partner for 10 years) I read autoinoculation is possible soon after the first infection... (I did wash my hands with soap afterwards)

I know I am asking a lot but you would help me greatly by reading my previous posts and giving your input. I can't really get help elsewhere since my GP and OB seem to be very uneducated on the topic. You seem to have so much knowledge however... So please help.. it would mean the world to me. I hope I could then finally get some rest...

Thank you 🙏 

Edited by Charlotte91

Hey @Charlotte91 no what you have genitally is not herpes of any kind, no reason to believe so. I think it is a bit rough to essentially be accusing your husband of having HSV-2 without you or he knowing, that does not seem rational or fair. Any related concerns to having genital HSV are simply not valid.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WilsoInAus said:

Hey @Charlotte91 no what you have genitally is not herpes of any kind, no reason to believe so. I think it is a bit rough to essentially be accusing your husband of having HSV-2 without you or he knowing, that does not seem rational or fair. Any related concerns to having genital HSV are simply not valid.

Thanks @WilsoInAus this is reassuring to read. I most certainly am not accusing him, he really is the best (also in dealing with my anxiety). I thought maybe one of us could have been infected 10+ years ago and it would have stayed dormant for all these years and just now causing a first outbreak. I do realize this would be highly unlikely given all the circumstances I mentioned above. 

I was diagnosed in my last pregnancy with perinatal depression/anxiety. I felt much better after giving birth but getting a cold sore few days later spiraled me back into feeling very anxious. Noticing the genital irritation this week made me so anxious about it possibly being HSV2. I don't want to keep scrolling the internet cause it's making it worse so I am very thankful I could come here for some rational answers. I hope I can now let this go.

My kids and husband really are my world so I anything that could be a threat to them (like HSV to my little babygirl for example) causes so much fear. 

Anyway, thanks again for helping me clear my mind.

Hey @Charlotte91 that's right, your family is your world... and for now this irrational fear of HSV is shrinking that world... please try hard to kick this to the curb :)

HSV is not a threat to your baby girl in world terms. We run many risks each day and we take care, such as a simple drive to the shops poses so much more risk (magnitudes!) than HSV yet this doesn't seem to worry you - for good reason. Try to reflect the reasons for not worrying about bigger risks to put HSV into its irrelevant context for the world of your family.

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2022 at 2:12 AM, Charlotte91 said:

Note: the tears/cuts seem to have improved a lot today. Still lot of redness and burning when taking a shower or peeing but the tears/cuts are almost gone. I do feel like when I would "stretch" the area by pulling the skin or so, the tears would reappear. I don't know if this makes it less/more probable to be HSV. Could this all just be irritation or due to dryness? Still very worried this could be the "paper cuts" I read about. Also losing my mind thinking I could have contracted whitlow by touching the area yesterday. I hope that giving the last intercourse was almost 6 months ago would make it less likely to catch whitlow if it was HSV (I read autoinoculation is unlikely after 4 months, is this correct? ) and having the same partner for a decade plus being on valtrex 1g a day would make it less likely for this irritation to be HSV

Got a pimple around my nose today and HSV is the first thing that popped into my mind... this is crazy 😪

Please check you dm