Disolving Acyclovir pills

Senators38

Posted (edited)

I switched to Acyclovir from valcyclovier but the pills are a weird shape and irriate my throat. I'm just wondering if they're ok to disolve in water? Not a lot of info online.

Edited by Senators38

1 hour ago, Senators38 said:

I switched to Acyclovir from valcyclovier but the pills are a weird shape and irriate my throat. I'm just wondering if they're ok to disolve in water? Not a lot of info online.

the little bit I've read online says they are okay to dissolve in water.... I'm curious though, why are you switching from valacyclovir to acyclovir?  Difficulty in swallowing the valacyclovir?  valacyclovir not working well for you?  cost?

1 hour ago, CHT said:

the little bit I've read online says they are okay to dissolve in water.... I'm curious though, why are you switching from valacyclovir to acyclovir?  Difficulty in swallowing the valacyclovir?  valacyclovir not working well for you?  cost?

Valacyclovir did nothing for me. I was basically on one long outbreak for 2 years since infection. Acyclovir is much more expensive but it actually works. The differrence is night and day for me anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry to hear this. I too had an outbreak for 18 months and it was so unpleasant. I hope your meds start working more effectively for you. 

On 5/15/2022 at 3:33 PM, Senators38 said:

Valacyclovir did nothing for me. I was basically on one long outbreak for 2 years since infection. Acyclovir is much more expensive but it actually works. The differrence is night and day for me anyway.

glad that acyclovir works for you..... most people find valacyclovir to be more effective but, everyone's systems are different.... as for price, I'm not sure where you are located but, valacyclovir is usually more expensive than acyclovir (at least here in the U.S.).  Without insurance, a 90 day supply of valacylovir costs about $34 (using GoodRx).... and acylovir (400 mg, 90 day supply) costs about $12 (again, using GoodRx)

wow, that's really cheap! I wonder why the price difference with Europe is so big.

In Europe, with insurance, I pay 10eur for 42 pills 500mg.
Without insurance it would be a bit more than 100eur!

10 hours ago, hk81 said:

wow, that's really cheap! I wonder why the price difference with Europe is so big.

In Europe, with insurance, I pay 10eur for 42 pills 500mg.
Without insurance it would be a bit more than 100eur!

That is odd.... usually prescription drugs are more expensive in US than most other parts of world.... I'm curious, do you have the "GoodRx" app available in Europe?  Are you in the UK?  In case you don't know what GoodRx is, it's an app you can go to, look up the drug you have a prescription for plus number of tablets and dose, then look up your specific location and it shows the price you can pay at a variety of large and small pharmacies in your area.... all at major discounts.... often even less expensive than if you used your insurance.  A few other similar apps are now starting up to give "GoodRx" some competition..... it started up about 2 years ago and has really taken off.... I often just skip my insurance when I have to fill a prescription and use the app since it's cheaper.  I suspect if you don't have anything similar over there you will soon enough!  

• 2 weeks later...

@CHT unluckily it's not available in Europe. I find it weird how the pharmaceutical industry sets different prices in different countries.