Can herpes never blister?

NamessMonster

So I was diagnosed with HSV1 last year and that I know of I’ve never actually had an outbreak. Probably dormant for many years. But I do have a question about some herpes scares I’ve had but had decided are not herpes based on the supposed life cycle of a herpe/cold sore. I’ve had areas of my mouth next to my lip or chin sometimes turn slightly red and feel irritated, it’s even been rounded or ever so slightly raised for like a day but they never ever fill with fluid, burst or scab over. It just resends, itches or slightly burns and then goes away. My thought is it’s probably related to shaving, eczema or all sorts of other things, but it makes me nervous to kiss people any time around when anything of the sort pops up. 

long story short, can you have a cold sore/herpes sore on your face that never fills with fluid or scans/becomes an open sore? I sometimes put carmex on them, would that stop them from fully forming? 

thanks!

Edited by NamessMonster

Posted (edited)

It’s also of note that something like this popped up next to the right side of my mouth, vanished in two days and now I have something similar on my chin that is going the same way as seeming irritated but faded out almost entirely in two days. I feel like if it was herpes there would be a longer healing process, fluid or scabbing and they wouldn’t be back to back 

Edited by NamessMonster

On 6/10/2022 at 1:41 PM, NamessMonster said:

It’s also of note that something like this popped up next to the right side of my mouth, vanished in two days and now I have something similar on my chin that is going the same way as seeming irritated but faded out almost entirely in two days. I feel like if it was herpes there would be a longer healing process, fluid or scabbing and they wouldn’t be back to back 

Hi NamessMonster.... what you are describing does not sound like a standard oral HSV1 outbreak.... as you already know, about 70% of adults have HSV1 and have had it since childhood.... it goes dormant later in life and rarely, if ever, pops up in adulthood.  The fact that you get the same red irritated areas near your mouth and your chin would not likely be HSV1 (not on your chin).... the fact that they never become fluid filled, ooze, heal/scab also indicates you've got something else going on.  By the way, not all HSV sores manifest in the "text book" fashion.... for example, my HSV2 sores never scab over.... they just heal up and disappear.  You may want to have a dermatologist take a look at your next "outbreak"... I have a strong feeling you will find it's something other than HSV1 sore.  Hope this helps..... best of luck.