Getting HSV 2 orally if you already have HSV 1 orally

Borealis

Maybe this was disscused before but I have trouble finding it so I would appreciate any feedback.

The thing is I have HSV 2 genital and HSV 1 orally and my husband only has HSV 1 orally. At least we think so, last time he got tested for HSV 2 was last year and was negative.

Yeasterday we had oral sex and today my husband noticed that blisters are forming on his lower lip. This is the place he usually has HSV 1 outbreaks. 

I am now afraid that I gave him HSV 2 orally since for the last 2 or 3 days I am feeling itchiness and slight burning in my vaginal opening so I am not sure am I having viral shedding or something. He has oral HSV 1 since elementary school.

Also I started to worry if his outbreak is HSV 1, could he gave it to me genitaly. I already have oral HSV 1 and had it since high school. But I am pregnant and as you know during pregnancy immune system is a little bit compromised and I am not sure will my preexisting HSV 1 infection provide any protection.

Thank you for reading! 

19 hours ago, Borealis said:

Maybe this was disscused before but I have trouble finding it so I would appreciate any feedback.

The thing is I have HSV 2 genital and HSV 1 orally and my husband only has HSV 1 orally. At least we think so, last time he got tested for HSV 2 was last year and was negative.

Yeasterday we had oral sex and today my husband noticed that blisters are forming on his lower lip. This is the place he usually has HSV 1 outbreaks. 

I am now afraid that I gave him HSV 2 orally since for the last 2 or 3 days I am feeling itchiness and slight burning in my vaginal opening so I am not sure am I having viral shedding or something. He has oral HSV 1 since elementary school.

Also I started to worry if his outbreak is HSV 1, could he gave it to me genitaly. I already have oral HSV 1 and had it since high school. But I am pregnant and as you know during pregnancy immune system is a little bit compromised and I am not sure will my preexisting HSV 1 infection provide any protection.

Thank you for reading! 

Hi Borealis.... your husband does have a risk of contracting oral HSV2 even though he already has oral HSV1..... unfortunately, having oral HSV1 does not protect against contracting HSV2 (oral or genital).  In your case, it's a bit different.... it is highly unlikely (although minutely possible) that you could contract genital HSV1 if you already have oral HSV1..... your immune system has already produced the antibodies that would prevent any "spread" of the HSV1 to other parts of your body..... so, if you are having a genital outbreak, it's likely HSV2.  

I hope I answered your question and didn't turn things around.... 

2 hours ago, CHT said:

Hi Borealis.... your husband does have a risk of contracting oral HSV2 even though he already has oral HSV1..... unfortunately, having oral HSV1 does not protect against contracting HSV2 (oral or genital).  In your case, it's a bit different.... it is highly unlikely (although minutely possible) that you could contract genital HSV1 if you already have oral HSV1..... your immune system has already produced the antibodies that would prevent any "spread" of the HSV1 to other parts of your body..... so, if you are having a genital outbreak, it's likely HSV2.  

I hope I answered your question and didn't turn things around.... 

It actually isn't truly known as the incidence of HSV-2 orally from sexual activity is quite low (believed 10-15% of people get infected in both locations from the one event if they don't have oral HSV-1). It is exceptionally rare for a person with oral HSV-1 to get HSV-2 and it is likely they would need a serious immune incompetence.

I agree though that you will not spread a HSV-1 infection while pregnant. Your immune system does not weaken during pregnancy, rather it shifts focus a bit to protect the baby without unduly compromising the mother.

@CHT thank you very much for your reply. I just hope I didn't infect him with HSV 2 orally since blisters were forming immediately next day morning. From what I've read in medical literature incubation time is usually 2 days and more but of course you never know with this shitty virus. If you can, I would appreciate if you could answer me for how long do you need to have infection in one location in order to get immune protection for not getting infection on another location. 

@WilsoInAusthank you for your reply. Husbands outbreak made me worried since he complained about serious headaches after outbreak for two days and that made me suspicious because he never has headaches during his oral HSV 1 outbreaks. Blisters already scabbed because he was using acyclovir oitment so it's late to go and have a swab. But as I already said, I hope I didn't infect him with HSV 2 strain because he had outbreak immediately day after. Thank you again!

19 hours ago, Borealis said:

@CHT thank you very much for your reply. I just hope I didn't infect him with HSV 2 orally since blisters were forming immediately next day morning. From what I've read in medical literature incubation time is usually 2 days and more but of course you never know with this shitty virus. If you can, I would appreciate if you could answer me for how long do you need to have infection in one location in order to get immune protection for not getting infection on another location. 

@WilsoInAusthank you for your reply. Husbands outbreak made me worried since he complained about serious headaches after outbreak for two days and that made me suspicious because he never has headaches during his oral HSV 1 outbreaks. Blisters already scabbed because he was using acyclovir oitment so it's late to go and have a swab. But as I already said, I hope I didn't infect him with HSV 2 strain because he had outbreak immediately day after. Thank you again!

Hi Borealis.... it takes several weeks (6 to 12 weeks at least) after infection for your body to build up full antibodies so that it makes it virtually impossible for you to infect any other area of your body with the virus.  Please note however, immediately after your initial infection, you can infect other parts of your body (i.e, transfer the infection from oral to genital and vice versa) until your body builds up sufficient antibodies. 

I think you might find this link from Johns Hopkins Medical Center regarding HSV to be of help in answering many of your questions/concerns:  https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/herpes-hsv1-and-hsv2/genital-herpes#:~:text=No.,of your body from infection.

Hope all this helps..... take care.