hsv2 From Oral?? Please help. Alone and Afraid.

Charlie1968

Can a man get HSV2 from receiving oral sex?

I received oral from a woman about 3 weeks ago and I am feeling a burning when I pee and a burning feeling on the tip of my penis and feel like I am getting a cold. this has been about 2 weeks now.  I see 2 very small bumps on the head of my penis. They have been there for over a week but has not gotten any worse. I tested negative in a blood test but I am afraid that it is false and my doctor appointment is not far a week.

I have had hsv1 for many years on my lip. 

I am feeling very alone and scared. I very much appreciate any insight.  

10 hours ago, Charlie1968 said:

Can a man get HSV2 from receiving oral sex?

I received oral from a woman about 3 weeks ago and I am feeling a burning when I pee and a burning feeling on the tip of my penis and feel like I am getting a cold. this has been about 2 weeks now.  I see 2 very small bumps on the head of my penis. They have been there for over a week but has not gotten any worse. I tested negative in a blood test but I am afraid that it is false and my doctor appointment is not far a week.

I have had hsv1 for many years on my lip. 

I am feeling very alone and scared. I very much appreciate any insight.  

Hi "Charlie".... you have very little, if anything, to worry about here as it relates to HV2.  The odds of having oral HV2 is low and the odds of transmission of HSV2 through oral sex is extremely low.... it's a rarity so, not much chance your oral sex encounter has given you the symptoms you describe.  

The burning sensation could easily be a bacterial infection (UTI).... not sure about the bumps but, unless they are fluid filled then it's not at all HSV2 related.  What blood test did you have?  The best test at this stage for HSV is the antibody IgG blood test.... and this test is only reliable if you wait at least 12 weeks following your sexual encounter (takes time for antibodies to form if you were exposed).  For your peace of mind ask your doctor to run this test specific to HSV2 (no point in looking at HSV1 since you said you already know you have it).

I honestly do not think you are dealing with HSV here so, try to relax and put this fear aside.... see your doctor next week and hopefully he/she will be able to figure things out.... and, again, if you want that extra peace of mind, ask for an IgG test in about 10 weeks from now.   Best of luck.... you're going to be fine.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me. It is so hard to get straight information.

I had an igG blood test but definitely too soon. My UTI test is negative so of course my brain goes to the worst place. 

I can't say enough about how much it means to me just to communicate with someone about this.  It is inspiring see people taking time to help perfect strangers through a tough time. You don't hear about these things enough. 

Thank you! 

If a man gives oral to a woman, can he get genital HSV2 without any contact to his genitals? 

1 hour ago, Charlie1968 said:

If a man gives oral to a woman, can he get genital HSV2 without any contact to his genitals? 

Hey Charlie.... no, you are not going to contract HSV2 in your genital region by performing oral sex on a woman.... you have to have genital-to-genital contact with someone who is infected with the virus to contract it in the genital region.  So, you have nothing to worry about as it relates to HSV2 in your genital region.

In case you are wondering, contracting the virus in your mouth (assuming your partner had HSV2) is very rare but, does have a small risk... your mouth has mucous membranes which can allow the virus to enter your system.... but, again, this is pretty rare and you would likely have had an outbreak by now if this happened.  One thing I need to also point out is that, unless I missed it, you are not even sure if this woman you had contact with has HSV.... the vast majority of people are not infected with HSV2 (the vast majority however, are infected with HSV1).... so, all the odds are in your favor that everything is fine... see what your doctor thinks about this burning sensation in your penis and the bumps.... and again, for peace of mind, go ahead and get an HSV2 antibody test in about 10 weeks... until then, relax.... nothing here is sounding like HSV.  Best of luck.

Thank you "CHT". That is so reassuring. I don't know what I do have but when I find out I will post it here in case someone else has a similar problem. Thanks for taking the time to help me. I am touched by the kindness I see on this forum. I will pay this forward. I wish you the best.

If a woman has oral hsv2, and she involves in deep kissing and giving oral, would the man get oral and genital hsv2?

14 hours ago, Charlie1968 said:

If a woman has oral hsv2, and she involves in deep kissing and giving oral, would the man get oral and genital hsv2?

Hi Charlie.... oral HSV2 is extremely rare so, odds are also extremely low (almost zero) that someone who may have oral HSV2 could transmit it through kissing.... also pretty low in terms of transmission during oral sex.  I've attached an article here that discusses a study regarding oral HSV2.... basically it states that oral HSV2 is extremely rare (3.2% of 1344 HSV2-positive people tested).... the vast majority (95%) were gay men who were mostly dealing with an initial infection.... so, bottom line here is oral HSV2 is super rare and not at all likely to be transmitted even if you happen to come in to contact with someone that has it.... so, in your situation, I wouldn't worry about this oral risk pathway any further.... hope that helps.  https://sti.bmj.com/content/80/4/272

@Charlie1968 @CHT also note that the figures may be skewed as many with genital HSV-2 don’t present for a swab compared to those with oral HSV-2.

But the most important point to note is that oral shedding appears next to non existent. Measure menu suggests that shedding occurs less than 3 days a year.

Thanks everyone for your support. I hope to find out soon what is causing this burning. The timing is right for an STD but my tests are all negative. I will post whatever I find out. Hopefully it can help someone else in the future 

All the best to you. 

Hi @Charlie1968 it’s a common misconception that the STDs they test for are the only STDs in existence. This is not the case. They are just the ones that are 1. Serious to your longer term health and 2. Are largely asymptomatic initially from infection.

There are dozens of low grade bacteria and viruses that spread sexually that are not tested for - why? - because they are the opposite - they are typically symptomatic hence you visit the doctor like you have for treatment and/or not serious.

On some occasions it can take a bit of time for the infection to be cleared by the body as appears to be happening to you. You may also have a dermatological problem emerge triggered by something.

Thank you you taking the time to help me. I went to the doctor and want to give you an update in hopes that it can help someone else in the same situation as I am.

He feels that it is unlikely that I have genital HSV but cannot be certain until I get tested again. I will need to wait until the end of February for that. I still have the 4 bumps on one side of my glans but they are not fluid filled. I still have the burning feeling in my urethra and burning when I pee although less severe. It has been 20 days of this now.

One thing he told me that is interesting is that he has seen people have symptoms in the same situation as me because of the extreme anxiety and guilt. The symptoms are real but not caused by any virus or bacteria. Not unlike chest pains from extreme stress.

I don't know if that applies to me because my anxiety followed the burning feeling. I don't know if the woman I was with has HSV but I am assuming because this happened at a massage parlor. I didn't know it was that kind of place because I had been there before but when the opportunity arose , I stupidity let it happen. I actually had second thoughts and stopped it before finishing for fear of hiv. I did not know that hsv was a risk.

Maybe this is in my head but it feels very, very real. Because of who I was with I do feel very at risk and very, very anxious still. Maybe the symptoms will go away after I get back my next test in February.

I am writing this so if someone is going through a similar situation , they can maybe try to relax and the note if that has any impact on there symptoms. 

I am thankful to the people on this forum for the support. As this plays out, I hope this helps someone else by reading my experience. 

Thanks 

Hey man , your symptoms sound like prostatitis. Have you try a course of Doxy and Flagyl? I would ask for those two drugs if you can, a 7 day trial will do.

I don't know about HSV man it's super tricky. I know I am going through an issue with HSV that's ongoing and no derma is able to figure out on going symptoms of itching and crawling sensation. Thinking abut it, they sound more neurological now. 

Anyhow, back to your question, please try a course of doxy if you can. Good luck. 

Thanks tweetsoc, 

I haven't taken anything but ibuprofen. My doctor won't give me anything without the lab work. I get tested on the 17th and if negative again 4 weeks after that 

I will look into prostatitis and definitely ask him about it.

Best of luck to you. I hope you get some relief.

Are your symptoms constant or do they come and go?

It's strange how the brain works. Sometimes this drives me crazy and sometimes I have just got used to the feeling of hot sauce in my pants.

good luck to you. 

3 hours ago, tweetsoc said:

Hey man , your symptoms sound like prostatitis. Have you try a course of Doxy and Flagyl? I would ask for those two drugs if you can, a 7 day trial will do.

I don't know about HSV man it's super tricky. I know I am going through an issue with HSV that's ongoing and no derma is able to figure out on going symptoms of itching and crawling sensation. Thinking abut it, they sound more neurological now. 

Anyhow, back to your question, please try a course of doxy if you can. Good luck. 

Hang on @tweetsoc this is just self-indulgent self-delusion.

What is super tricky about HSV? You're only saying that because of the super trick situation you are in having cheated on your partner, stop deflecting, how does that help anyone least of all yourself?

You do not know you are going through an issue with HSV; it is pretty much certain you are not.