World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
BeautifulButDamaged

Has Anyone Realized...

BeautifulButDamaged

Has anyone realized that ATLEAST 5 people come on this board everyday either thinking they may have oral or genital herpes or they have been diagnosed?

Its really an epidemic that no one is (government, drug companies, doctors, or otherwise) are speaking up on. Seriously, in the last month Valtrex commericals are being pushed hard! I've seen in 1 night a valtrex commerical about 6 times during an 1 hour episode.

Its not a plague no one will die, but Glaxo is going 2 make a killing if the 1 in 5 people jumps to 2 in 5 or 3 in 5! And the women count is going 2 jump even higher becuase we are more suseptable for the virus. It'll go from 1 in 4 to 3 in 4!

This is sad!

lola1

HSV is definitely spreading..

and a lot of it is due to the misinformation out there. Whenever I've talked to my friends about it, they all have no idea how HSV is spread or that you can catch it from a symptom less partner, or even from getting/giving oral sex. People, (including myself, only a few months ago) have no idea how this virus is spread, how easy it is to acquire or how prevelant it is in the population. And because everybody is so embarassed and hiding it, the misinformation keeps spreading...Unfortunately, it will only get worse.

It is really sad..and the drug companies are really making a lot of money on suppression drugs so really have no incentive to find a cure..Also, doctors need to start educating people and encouraging routine testing of HSV..I've already tried to warn a few of my friends who are single about why they need to get tested and make sure all future partners are tested..hopefully, they will heed my advice and not end up becoming HSV+. I really hope I can help others to avoid this in some way.

Geez, if only I knew back then what I know now..I would have made sure that every partner was tested for HSV BEFORE getting intimate!! Damn, I learn the hard way. You can be sure I will talk to my two children (one is almost a teenager) about the dangers of STD's!! Don't won't them to get it!!

eatyourveggies

Beautiful you are so right! It is scary because there are twice or triple that amount who linger on the board and don't actually post (I'm assuming).

And the scariest thing is that it seems that most of us contracted H when no signs were present in our partner. I wonder what the statistic for that is.

Lola1, I too had no idea about it. I guess I just thought it could never happen to me. I feel like I need to help educate others on how easily this can be passed. There is too much casual sex going down.

The drug companies are evil.

Shayna

The other evening I peeked at who was online. There were 20-something members, and 120-something guests reading this forum.

That count is climbing!

Stargazer40

I was very ignorant as to how this is spread and i agree that the scariest part of all is that someone could have absolutely no symptoms and still have the disease. That was the case with the person I contracted it from. I absolutely did not think this could happen to me. I am still in the shame mode, in that I don't feel comfortable sharing my experience with friends and family. The stigma that is attached with this disease is crippling..... However, i am absolutely grateful that this forum exists and that there are so many kind and helpful people to share their experience strength and hope with newbies such as myself. Knowledge is so important in the prevention of this disease.

Lifeislife

I still kick myself for not learning more about it before hand. I knew of that vile word Herpes. I barely considered it beyond making sure to use condoms and that I would know if someone had it. Silly me. I even heard about a friend having it through a third person and avoided the topic like the plague.

The irony is that I was VERY safe in all of my relationships...but one. That's all it took.

If there is going to be a cure, it's probably not going to originate from the U.S. Without getting on a rant about pharmaceutical companies and the corruption of the FDA and FTC, let's just say there is way too much money to be had by all parties to allow a cure to surface any time soon.

I know that a few years ago, I read about a study going on in England that involved an injection that caused shedding to die before it reached the skin's surface. It was just entering human testing. Now I can find nothing about it, even if it failed.

BeautifulButDamaged

Do u see the numbers?!

The other evening I peeked at who was online. There were 20-something members, and 120-something guests reading this forum.

That count is climbing!

120 something guest?! Do u realize that more then half of them r most likely showing symptoms and r trying 2 find some kind of reassurance that they don't have herpes?!

This is crazy... I know I made a comment saying that the whole world needs 2 have this virus so that the only thing anyone has 2 worry about is HIV/AIDS. I was joking about that!

There's need 2 b some way of letting the public know about the real deal of herpes. We also need 2 get the social stigma lifted so people can talk frely about it.

Shit if I had gono no 1 would give a shit cuz u can cure it. But if u have gono 4 too long and it goes untreated u can have so many other problems... women becoming sterile, ur joints are messed up, and PID (which, from wat I heard is extremely painful!).. But herpes is an annoying skin irritation, that 4 some is more annoying then others.

We need 2 make a petition 2 get EVERYONE tested 4 herpes... no matter if 80% of the US population has type 1 (type 1 is becoming more common 2 have genitally now)... so wat? People still need 2 b tested 4 it. Cuz many people with type 1 orally don't know its herpes and don't even realize that performing oral sex on someone can pass it on genitally.

Ignorance, and lack of education is wats making the pharma companies so much money!

So guest I ask u 2 please sign on 2 the forum. Ask all the questions u need 2 understand this virus. It'll help u and anyone else u come in contact with wether u have it or not. Cuz being armed with the knowledge u'll get tested and convince ur potential partner 2 get tested also!