World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
butterflytattoo3

Culture without sore -- blood test question

Advertisement
0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

Unsure if you have an STD? Get tested privately here.

butterflytattoo3

Hi all. I've got some questions about symptoms and testing.

I went to a clinic yesterday because I'd been feeling itching and tingling and a little bit of groin-lymph node soreness all around the external vulva area for five days. I'd gotten oral sex from someone twice, once three monts ago and once four months ago. (He did not have a cold sore at the time. He did not develop one afterward. I asked him and he said he had never had a cold sore.) Testing for all other STIs came back negative, so I figured this tingling could only be attributable to herpes.

The Dr. examined, said she didn't see any sores (duh) and reminded me that I looked very healthy down there. Yes, but the tingling?

I want to get tested! I want to know if I have this or not! Is there any way to get a culture done without a big, oozing sore? Also, as I am pretty sure that I could only have gotten HSV-1, should I bother paying for HSV-2 Herpes Select (insurance doesn't cover, I have no money)? The DR. didn't seem to want to give me the test. She said "if it tells you have have HSV-1, so what? You might have had it already."

Urgh, it seems like herpes is such a crazy disease and it affects everyone differently. I'm glad this forum exists to let people with weird symptoms come together, even though they're Drs. don't always know what's going on.

butterflytattoo3

Another thing...

I've never had a cold sore, either. If I'm getting all tingly downstairs, shouldn't I be having a reaction on my lip, too?

helied2me

Hi butterfly,

If you had the sexual activity 3-4 months ago and the symptoms you are experiencing started around that time I would suggest you get an IgG type specific antibody test for both HSV-1 and HSV-2. Doctors are reluctant to do a swab culture when there are no sores because they are expensive. Of course it would be less expensive at a clinic but they still want to see something to swab.

Because you don't have insurance, you may want to go online and google STD testing and find one in your area that can issue you a lab order, give you a choice of labs to go to, and get your results usually in a matter of 3 days for as little as 98.00. I know it's a lot when you don't have it but look at different websites and compare prices, 98. is the lowest I've seen them online. Your doctor could also give you a lab order and some labs charge less for self-pay than others. I paid approximately 96.00.

The fact that you don't experience any symptoms on your lips could be contributed to the fact that 1.) you already have type 1 from cold sores in the past and possibly have type 2 genitally, 2.) you got lucky and didn't contract it orally, 3.) you haven't had an oral outbreak yet or 4.) it's not hsv at all.

I hope you get the test so you can get some answers. Good luck and I hope everything comes out negative, let us know, we're here for support if you need it.

butterflytattoo3

Thank you

Thank you so much for your advice, helied. I'm going to get Herpes Select tests done on Wednesday. Swab tests are free at my clinic. I know they might not be accurate without a sore, but I'm going to beg for one anyway.

chevyMisty

Hey Listen here. I got this from my husband. I don't have cold sores and I got mine from him kissing me when he had one. I have never had cold sores and still don't so you probably just got "lucky' like me and only got it "downstairs". If you have a planned Parenthood any where near you they are normally cheaper since you don't have insurance. At least they are cheaper around here. But you definitely need to get tested for this.