World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
ddrt

So this is what my Dr. told me

Advertisement
0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

Unsure if you have an STD? Get tested privately here.

ddrt

I went to see my Dr cause I thought I was infected. I was in a long term relationship...and during intercourse my girlfriend would get really dry and there was a lot of friction. We had a lot of intercourse...and eventually the friction irritated the base of my penis and I got what I thought were just frictional tears or cuts....I would use neosporin and they would heal right up. So...we broke up in Jan....and the spots were the irritation occurred were still there. I went to see my Dr. because I was worried about HSV. He looked at the irritated area and said that he agreed with me and thought that it was just caused by trauma and that some steriod cream would clear it up. We took a blood test too just to be sure. After a day of the steroid cream the redness seemed to almost disappear....but now a week into it I can still see where it was. (god I hope it is just scar tissue)

So then the phone call came. The results of my blood test came back and what he told me sorta confused me. He said that my IgM was neg but my IgG was pos. He then said that based off of those results that I may have been exposed at some point in my past but since the IgM was negative that I didnt have anything to worry about. He said that a lot of people are IgG pos. Does this sound right to anyone?

So.....at this point I can only assume that I have HSV...the irritated skin never formed blisters and nothing ever leaked out of them...thats why I am confused.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Will this redness ever go away? If it is in fact HSV....what kind of creams or meds should I take to help?

Thanks!

Caliope

as I understand it you had a blood test for hsv and it is positive. we don't know if it is positive for hsv1 or hsv2 and we don't know the location because blood tests only look for antibodies.

you cannot be sure you have genital herpes from this result unless you have the presence of actual sores that have been swabbed and cultured.

either strand of the virus can be either an oral or genital infection. if you've ever had a coldsore or fever blister than chances are that it is that.

dry sex can cause damage to the skin and skin takes time to heal. If you continue to have irritation and sores show up in the genital area get into the dr within 48 hours of them showing up and have it swabbed. If the virus is present on the skin a culture will be positive.

eatyourveggies

I've heard the igm test is very unreliable and the igg test is pretty accurate. Like Caliope said it tells you that you have antibodies in your blood which is proof that you have some form of H (exposure at least 3-4 months ago or beyond).

You really should have your ex go get a blood test. This might give you the answer you seek.

Please do not have sexual contact with anyone until you know what's up. Just assume you have H of some form, and now you need to be responsible about infected others.

Best of luck!

Lifeislife

I have genital type 1 and only the first outbreak had a sore that opened. The rest was just a red bump that didn't even look like H and never opened or leaked.

I get overwhelmed trying to figure out the blood test stuff, but I agree to wait before having sex with anyone and keep an eye out for something the doctor can culture.

ddrt

Thanks for the information. I dont plan on having sex with anyone that I wouldnt talk with first...in fact I have already disclosed it to 2 different girls and they both were very positive about it and continued to want to get to know me. Of course I am not dating 2 girls now....just getting to know them....

Question...these red spots that I have....if they are in fact HSV would they be there for a long time??? I thought the OB's go away over time....I have a feelng that this may just be scar tissue that will take months to go away....I know I am not 100% sure of this....but everything I have read said the OB site goes away and looks normal afterwards...is this true? I have had this redness now for well over a month....and it looks like they are slowly healing...like skin normally does...

Lifeislife

Hmm...I was in real rough shape my first outbreak, but it was from fresh exposure. I had the two sores for close to a month and had to have a catheter for a week...man that sucked.

The sores heal like any wound, well, more painfully..it's a process that takes time and that time could be different for different individuals.

There is the possibility that this is not HSV...or friction rash and that you are carrying HSV as oral or genital and have not shown symptoms.. Sounds a little intense to be friction rash, especially in the location it is.

Ideally sounds like you need to get answers from your doctor.

ddrt

I did talk to my Dr about just that and he said that it looked like friction trauma....not to be too graphic but my ex had thick pubic hairs and since she was dry a lot there were times when it felt like her hair was piercing me and rubbing on my penis like sandpaper! I really wont know unless I get a blister that can be cultured right?

Will the spots that are there (if they are HSV sites) ever look normal again....or will there always be some visual reminder that the infection was there?

Just confused and need clarification...thanks!

Shayna

after my ob healed the skin was pink-ish for months. I thought it would stay that way, like a scar. It finally healed and I can't tell it was ever there.

chevyMisty

yeah after my Obs they heal up and look all normal again.

BoxofRain

if you have a positive IGG then you have herpes without a doubt. Ask the doc. what type you have. Also, IGM is unreliable and doesnt mean much because it can vary and give false positives a lot of the time. However, positive IGG is about as acurate as you can get to know you have herpes......witht he exception of having a western blot test done, which is more accurate. If I was you id inform your old g/f to get tested because you now know you have herpes and it is not just a thought that you might........you have concrete evidence you have it.....chances are she will also test positive in her blood as well.....unless she was lucky to not have contracted it from you. however, she could also have been the carrier and given it to you so who knows. Anyway, a lot of people will never even get anything resembling a blister so dont look for that. I would assume since you have genital symptoms and have a positive IGG that it is most likely a genital infection but thats just my opinion. The redness should go away in time but you might be able to speed it up by taking valtrex and vitamins and see from there. Please know that if it is a genital infection that you will still be able to transmit the virus some of the time when no redness or signs are even present, which a lot of people are unaware of. That is how it is most commonly spread. I wonder if maybe you got confused and the doc. said neg. for IGG and positive for IGM......cause that is the only way I could understand a doctor of rational mind telling you to not worry about it (an IGG means you have it without a doubt.......an IGM positive can vary for different reasons in different people so it would make more sense if you were positive for IGM, neg. for IGG for a doc. to say you have nothing to worry about) otherwise, he needs to get his facts straight and Id have another blood test done somewhere else to confirm and listen to what they tell you as far as the diagnosis.

ddrt

THanks Boxofrain...I agree with you 100%. I know that I am an HSV carrier now....I do plan on being extremely careful and open about it. I obviously got it from someone who MAY have known that they were a carrier. I was never given the opportunity to decided for myself if it was worth the risk. I will not be that person! It was a stressful first week.....but I think I am dealing with it well. Not freaking out or anything! Life goes on!

Thanks everyone on here for the help/info! This is a great site!

eatyourveggies

If things are that dry you need to break out the lube my friend! That couldn't be enjoyable for her either.

Life does go on! Best of luck!

ddrt

I called my Dr. Today and he said it was both type 1 and 2. Great!

He said I should continue to use the steroid cream on the red areas....does this sound right to anyone? I thought I read to not use steroid cream. Again...they are not blisters just red "rash" looking spots

Lifeislife

Aw man...sorry to hear it was both. I don't know about the steroid cream.

eatyourveggies

I have also heard to stay the hell away from steroid cream. How long have you been putting this on and daily? I'm sure this is only making it worse and is irritating the H. Stop using it and see how it goes.

Let us know. Best of luck!

ddrt

Here is what the cream did....at first I had 2 red areas.....very small. My dr told me to use it before the blood test came bak...so I did. Right away the redness went away....I used it for 5 days. I stopped since the redness was gone and to see what would happen....then I had what looked like acne pop up in areas that werent near the original spots and the origninal spots flared up again...on spot became itchy like jock itch. I didnt use the cream after the original time. I talked to my Dr yesterday and he said to use it for 2 more weeks. But I can honestly say that is a huge mistake on his part. It now looks like everything is calming down. I never got the blisters just rash and acne looking spots. I will NEVER use the cream. I was reading about Dynamiclear. Any one have any experience with that?