World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
butterflytattoo3

Diarrhea and outbreaks

butterflytattoo3

This website: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/diarrhea/ says that viruses such as herpes simplex can cause diarrhea. Does anyone get that, when they're having an OB or before one? of course some antivirals cause diarrhea, but I'm asking about people who get stomach problems who aren't taking medications.

Sorry for the TMI but I've diarrhea for the past four days, about as long as I've had this tingling sensation on the external part of my vagina. No sores (yet).

chevyMisty

can't say I have had that...this is only my third OB though. But man I hope I don't get that. I can hardly go to the bathroom as it is...Man I am sorry you do.

ouch

hmmmm...don't recall getting diarrhea while in the midst of an outbreak, but who knows!!!

Gosh, bad enough your lower parts are all sore, but then Diarrhea too!!!? UGH!

That would be the worst!

Lady Bug

Yes, I have had diarrhea especially when I was on my period. What a combination!!

chay5

With me, it's all the same, with virus or withour I am mostly constipated :(

I wish this virus made me more regular :D I have never had a diarrhea for as long as I live :oops:

chevyMisty

you don't want it. it makes my bottom hurt without the sores. *shudders* Though constipation can't be that great either.

OhmyGosh

Yes i had diarrhea before I had my first outbreak. it lasted like 3 days then the burning started and then I had sores and it burned to pee or poop. it sucked!!!

catiesmom

Hmmm funny. I hadn't heard of diarrhea as one of the side effects. I've never had it with HSV. Hmm hope most of us can avoid it, then.

Melancholy

I'm a newbie and don't know much, but I definitely had the runs before my outbreak. I also got a bad headache, which I don't know if it's attributed to the stress of learning I contracted H or the actual disease.

Undefeated

WoW... the website mentioned above does state that herpes can cause diarrhea..

What causes diarrhea?

Acute diarrhea is usually related to a bacterial, viral, or parasitic infection. Chronic diarrhea is usually related to functional disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome or inflammatory bowel disease.

A few of the more common causes of diarrhea include the following:

• Bacterial infections. Several types of bacteria consumed through contaminated food or water can cause diarrhea. Common culprits include Campylobacter, Salmonella, Shigella, and Escherichia coli (E. coli).
  • Viral infections. Many viruses cause diarrhea, including rotavirus, Norwalk virus, cytomegalovirus, herpes simplex virus, and viral hepatitis.
  • Food intolerances. Some people are unable to digest food components such as artificial sweeteners and lactose—the sugar found in milk.
  • Parasites. Parasites can enter the body through food or water and settle in the digestive system. Parasites that cause diarrhea include Giardia lamblia, Entamoeba histolytica, and Cryptosporidium.

ilovestella

I also get diarrhea before and during on O.B. Usually lasts about two days, as if i am not uncomfortable enough. Always get a terrible headache, and muscle aches in my neck also. usually get my symptoms abuout one day before a sore, so i always know when an OB is on the way......

frustratedyethopeful

I never really noticed until I got this mini-ob I am having right now! Terrible headache, and a case of the Uh-Ohs!!!

Who woulda known, eh?!