World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
tothefuture

skin to skin contact - misleading?

tothefuture

If the virus can be passed on by touching an infected person's genitals and then touching your own genitals - why is this not pointed out in all the literature?

Strictly speaking I guess this is classed as 'skin to skin' transmission - but surely it's also misleading?

VVK

There are many things about herpes literature that is misleading and that could use a lot more clarification. This just being one of them.

zaherpes

Another thing, how about gym equipment, especially if sharing weights with someone when doing sets? Lots of sweat, warmth, etc. seems like a decent setting and you usually start a few seconds after the other person. With things like herpes whitlow, is that a possible means of transmission? (even though I dont think I've ever read of something like that occuring)

VVK

I've read about herpes gladiatorum spreading throughout gym establishments. This would be from the padding that people rub on, I guess.. My gym has disinfectant wipes that are around for people to use.

lost_and_notfound

I'd like to know this as well. Is it only skin to skin?

velvetsteele41

According to the Mods (experts) over on the WebMD site, skin to skin contact seems to also require some friction to pass the virus (such as during intercourse). That would seem to imply that casual contact is not likely to transmit the virus. Take this with the disclaimer that I do not know yet if this is based on research or just clinical judgement at this point

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Advertisement

Try a Lysine supplement for cold sores

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Stupida
      @srinivas thank you for the suggestion. Are you on antivirals? How long have you had HSV? How well do you feel now that you are taking the supplements?
    • Trace67
      It doesnt really mean much yet. They still dont know if the herpes is taking advantage of a diseased brain or causing the disease. Furthermore, there is evidence that Alzheimer's might be caused by oral spirochete disease and even Lyme. Many of you could have oral Spirochetes but the Lyme and is less likely. https://globallymealliance.org/pathogen-cause-alzheimers-disease/ https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5008232/ https://newsblog.drexel.edu/2016/02/10/do-infections-cause-alzheimers-disease/   Of course it could be both! Maybe having hsv-1 and oral spirochetes quadruples the risk.  In my opinion the spirochete theory sounds more likely and its hard to dismiss neurosurgeons and caretakers getting Alzheimers from a disease that was previously thought to be non contagious. I'd worry more about Spirochetes.  
    • Rgs77
      Did ldn work.
    • honkschonks
      I wonder if people in the military are tested for hsv, because the general public isn’t. You have to specifically ask for it and many doctors don’t even see the point because it’s “so common”. It’s very possible he has it and has no symptoms or very mild random symptoms. Sorry to hear what you’re dealing with. It seems like women’s symptoms are worse than men’s.
    • WilsoInAus
      No that’s not the issue at all. The absolute vast majority of nerve pain is not caused by herpes. Hence it cannot be used to reverse engineer a diagnosis of herpes. That is exceptinally dangerous and we must do all we can encourage proper diagnosis.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.