World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
LastOne

Massage?

LastOne

This may be a crazy question, but I'm still fairly new to all this. I have genital herpes, but during my initial outbreak, somehow wound up with spots of it on other areas of my body (the front of my neck and my right knee).

I like to get body massages a couple of times a year as a treat to myself. I haven't had one since I got GH, and I'm wondering what I should do to protect my massage therapist? Should I just tell her not to touch those two areas, without telling her why, or do I need to explain why? Or do I have to give up body massages entirely, which would really suck?

GeminiGirl

I would think you're fairly safe if you aren't having an OB or symptoms. If you want to tell your therapist, you can give him/her the option of working with gloves -- you might want to talk to him/her before your appointment in case he/she doesn't have them on hand. Most therapists are good about washing their hands thoroughly between clients, and I do know that some use gloves both for protection from rashes or other things their clients may have, or when their own hands are rashy or rough.

Massage is SO good for your body -- you can find a way to make it work! :)

scaredinnewengland

i just recently figured out i have hsv and i told my sister and she is actually going to school to become a massage therepist and when i told her she went right to her pathiology text book looked it up and found different massages to help with pain. she wasnt affected by it at all. and they are supposed to learn about that stuff in their schooling, what they can touch and what they cant, they know if theres a rash or something not to touch it.

OhmyGosh

I get a massage 2 times a month I love it and need to have it. I also work in the spa industry and you don't need to disclose anything to them if you don;t feel comfortable. just don't go when you have an outbreak. they learn about that stuff in school, and it's actually really good for you it releases a lot of toxins from the body. If they see anything suspicious they will put on gloves.