World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
holyheck

tests that approximate when i got infected?

holyheck

Hi,

This may be a newbie question, and if so I apologize. I just got diagnosed (after a swab) at a clinic a few weeks ago with GHPV, and am now realizing I don't remember if she clarified type 1 or type 2. So I'm going to call back after the weekend and clarify. Hopefully the swab actually distinguished, and I just zoned out when she told me.

Anyway, are there any tests that can tell you whether you just recently contracted it?

The nurse told me I could get a "type-specific serologic test for gG2 antibodies", and they can give you an idea of whether you contracted it within the last 3 months or not. Although after reading this forum, and how antibody levels are different for different people, I'm not so sure any more.

I'd really like to know this, in order to know which partners I should inform. I just don't want to cause needless anxiety if it's unwarranted. I've already told the most recent, but there's a few on the edge that I don't know about.

Thanks

helied2me

Hi there holyheck,

If the nurse told you there was a test for type 2, it's possible the culture they did didn't type it. If you get the blood test, the one she is referring to is the IgG type specific antibody test for HSV-2, they also have one for HSV-1. It's up to you but I would get tested for both. If you have had it awhile one of them may come back negative and the other positive. Most people will seroconvert between 3-16 weeks but not all people.

If you test negative on both that would indicate a new infection as it means that you have not yet developed enough antibodies to give you a positive result. If you get tested for only type2 and it comes back negative then either you have type 1 genitally or you haven't developed enough type 2 antibodies yet.

If your EIA values are between .90 an 1.09 these results are called equivocal and you will be asked to retest at a later date. If they are 1.10 this is a positive result. EIA values in this range could also indicate a recent infection, like within the last 3 months. I know it's not much to go on and there really is no way to determine how long you may have had it but thats the only thing I can offer here.

Getting tested for both would be a good baseline in trying to determine if it's a new or old infection. If you have any more questions just ask.

holyheck

Ok, thanks for the help!

I neglected to say, I have had Oral HPV-1 for awhile. So, if the genital infection is HSV-1.... I'll probably test positive for HPV-1, no matter what. Correct?

So it would probably only make sense for me to get the type 2 test?

helied2me

Yes, you will probably test positive for HSV-1 So if you only want to test for type 2 go ahead. I, on the other hand always assumed I had type 1 because I would get a fever blister on my chin approximately every three years but when I tested for type 1 it came back negative, go figure.

And when you ask for the test be sure to refer to it as hSv not hPv, I know all these acronyms can get confusing but you want the correct test, lol.

holyheck

Well, I got tested...

IgG, type 1 = negative

IgG, type 2 = negative

IgM, nonspecific = positive

She said to come back in about a month and retest. Hopefully by then I'll have seroconverted, it'll give an IgG result, and I can tell what type it is.

Anyway, this confirms (I think) that I contracted it recently... although I'm a little confused that I tested negative for type 1, when I've gotten cold sores as far back as I can remember. (although none in recent memory - within the past 6 months to a year?)

helied2me

Hmmmm, kinda makes me wonder about the accuracy of the tests now.

I also tested negative for type 1 thinking I would test positive and someone else here recently did also.

I guess your swab wasn't typed eh? Best of luck to you with your next test.

holyheck

nope, no type on the swab.

yea, i'm wondering if i tested neg bc it's been so long since i had a cold sore OB. if that's not the issue then yea, i'm wondering about the accuracy too.

anyway, thanks again:)