Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Belladonna

Valtrex & Alcohol interactions?

6 posts in this topic

Hi all-

I'm wondering if anyone here has experienced any reactions between Alcohol & Valtrex. I've done a little bit of research and mainly noticed patients complaining of it, but no confirmation of an actual reaction happening.

I was taking generic accyclovir (as a suppressive therapy, since it's so much cheaper than Valtrex). In July I switched to Valtrex --- and it's been working a lot better for me than the acyclovir was; but I've been blacking out after three or more drinks ever since. I've also been informed that I've been aggressive and angry during these blackouts (something patients have been complaining about on websites). There's a couple of other things that have happened that are too embarrassing to mention. I drank plenty in College, and blacked out here and there - but never got as bad as I do now (and as I mentioned, it's not off of that much alcohol).

I've been drinking plain soda at the bar now, cause I don't want to lose control like that. I just wonder if maybe the alcohol is being processed slower or something b/c the kidneys & liver are tied up with metabolizing the Valtrex (or vice versa). I suppose I should mention that Valtrex does leave me just a little dizzy.

Please share if you have any similar or contrary experiences. Thanks!

Valtrex and Alcohol Interactions

Hi

I have had herpies for about 4 yrs and I have noticed that before I had it and started taking valtrex I could drink mixed drinks almost all night and not really feel a thing and since on it I can drink a couple beers and have been having black outs and doing some imbarassing things that my friends end up telling me about. Ive been more pissy and get angry quick and I feel very distant from other people.I used to go out all the time with my friends and since the whole herpies thing I just don't feel the same. I don't like going out and having people tell me what I have done the night before cuz I don't remember its really scary. Not sure what to think or do about it.

Oh shit, really? I can't say I've ever had that happen!

Drinking

I feel the same way about going out and don't feel like the same person also. I also stopped drinking alcohol because it seemed to cause outbreaks...it has been very hard to go out with girls without drinks but I guess I have to get used to it.

I haven't had any side effects like that. I might get drunker faster when i go out, but i think its because my tolerance is low because i dont go out much. Good luck and becareful

My Dr. precribed Valtrex for me several years ago when I was first dagnosed with HSV.....I never filled it....I didn't want to take a pill everyday....and I was worried about the side effects........of which is implied that the combination of alcohol and valtrex can make for a episode of urinary incontinence...and black-outs....well...that's just great...fine and dandy:......now about the alcohol....I don't notice any problems....meaning any a increase in outbreaks.....even though I don't drink very often.......but once in a while I do like a bottle of wine with dinner.....or a good margurita witha extra shot of tequilla......please don't tell me that I have to give that up....I'm already living without having sex......and my job is stressful......so every once in a while on my off day it's nice to relax....with good food and drink(s).....it's one of the things I look forward to.....