World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
LostGirl08

So Paranoid About Oral HSV1

LostGirl08

So I'm new here.

I got my first cold sore in late January and had a blood test following that which concluded my positive HSV1 status.

I understand that many people on this website suffer with the much harsher stigmatized version of this virus and I feel for all of you. I've read so much on this that it's almost become an obsession for me in the last few months. I know that many people do in fact test positive for HSV1 and how such a large portion of the population has antibodies to the virus.

I'm trying to stay positive after all of this..Knowing that I've never seen anyone in my family with a cold sore, so maybe I will be one of the lucky ones who just gets one in their life due to some kind of genetic immunity or whatever.

However, I have never been more paranoid about anything in my life :cry:

I've always been so careful and run to the doctor about anything that's made me uneasy. I made a really dumb mistake of fooling around with some ***hole "friend" of mine after a night of drinking together and didn't see the cold sore on his lip until the next day when we were in daylight. I feel like such an idiot and I haven't even told him he gave it to me because I don't want anyone to know that I even have this.

From what I can see, my prognosis was pretty good. I felt a weird sensation/itch on my lip when sitting in class one day and looked in the mirror at the bathroom after to see that the outline of my lip was pretty red. Hours later, I had a bump. Following this, I had 1 ugly sore that never ended up looking as scary as half of the pictures I've seen of cold sores on the internet. Honestly, it wasn't until day 2 or 3 of this that I realized it even was a cold sore.

Even though this was a few months ago, I am still in shock and have constant thoughts of it everyday. I already went through my "just in case" bottle of Valtrex because I got so scared with every itch I've felt on my face. My day consists of multiple trips to a bathroom to look at my lip where there is a small scar that I can't seem to get rid of (I have even gone to a dermatologist).

I just want to know, for those of you with HSV1, how often do you get outbreaks? I have started taking 500mg Lysine everyday, acidophilus, vitamin c and centrum. I also put tons of lip moisturizer on because I've read that dry lips leads to a cold sore. Is there some hope that maybe I'll never get one again? It's only been 2 and a half months since I had mine and I'm freaking out over it every single day. I don't even know how I'm going to date someone again. I'm a cute (actually hot) smart 24-year-old girl and I don't know how I'll ever be in a relationship now since I'm so afraid just to kiss someone. :(

OhmyGosh

HSV1 is very contagious HSV1 in the genitals not so contagious. But your going to be fine. I'm your age and pretty damn good looking!!! I have HSV1 in the genitals. you will probably have more outbreaks because HSV1 likes the mouth location, and thrives there. you need to find out what triggers them and avoid that. keep your lips moisturized at all times. I hope you never get another outbreak they really suck. I take valtrex daily to avoid any outbreaks. I have only had the initial in dec. so you might want to take some sort of antiviral, however taking antivirals doesn't stop the outbreak from happening they just reduce the shedding and help heal them faster. sorry you are going through this. I'm sure that plenty of guys are still going to want to kiss you. just the word HERPES kind of damages our self esteem for a while but you'll get it back and be fine. it just takes time. hang in there and good luck!!

marriedwchildren

First things first here, having hsv1 is not a death sentence 80% of the population has it( oral). So you are the majority not the minority, I have ghsv1 and I have not had another outbreak since my first in December, I got it from my hubby. But let me remind you that this virus could care less whether you are 20 and sexy smoking hot or 75 and not so hot. It does not discriminate. Forget about what you physically look like and try to heal yourself emotionally first then and only then can you move forward and live a normal life again. Take care and keep your chin up.