World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Melody

when asymptomatic, will blood test show?

Melody

Hi......

Could anyone enlightened me?

Will blood test show whether you have H virus when you are asymptomatic or a carrier? and would you be able to know how long you have got the virus from the blood test?

I had an ob last month and dr did the swab and sent for report, but up to now i haven't got the result yet. How long do you usually get the result?

It's been 3 weeks already.

Thank you.

helied2me

Hey there Melody,

Even if you are asymptomatic you will test positive for antibodies. The only way you can definitely know how long you have had the virus is if you have routinely been tested and went from negative to positive. You can assume it's a new infection if your EIA values are in the low range. A person can seroconvert anywhere between 3-16 weeks and for some it may take longer but if your EIA values are between .91 and lets say 1.10 or even a little higher this would indicate a new infection.

If you were tested in your regular doctors office most results are back within a week, clinics may take longer. Maybe somebody dropped the ball, give them a call and see if they have them. It could have come back negative and they might not have called because of that. Keep in mind that false negatives are very common with cultures. There is a 50% chance of detecting the virus in a primary OB and that drop's to 20% with recurring OB's.

Does that help sweetie?

Melody

Thanks Helied2me,

So far i have a routine paps, but never on others. Really never thought i will have this as i always have proper relationships and not one night stand ever.

Although it seems silly question, will this virus be passed to others if we do not have any sex contact? I have this paranoia that i keep washing my hands keep worrying that i might infected another person and i am scared to touch my nieces or give them a hug or kiss as well.

I will call the clinic tomorrow to check for my result though. So this test will actually telling me whether mine is type I or II isn't it?

helied2me

If your doctor had them type it, then yes, but he may not have.

As for casual contact you don't have anything to worry about if you're fastidious with hand washing after using the bathroom especially if you are having an outbreak. You can have contact with your nieces the same way you always have. If you have an oral infection just avoid kissing the lips.

Happy to help out anytime.

Melody

Oh great....

Could i just reconfirm what i understand about this virus:

1. Blood test will show whether you have the virus or not although you are asymptomatic. So when your first ob pops out, your blood test should show a higher level of antibody, e.g. more than 1.5, bc you actually had virus for quite some time?

2. If i have oral infection, it will be safe if i don't kiss anybody when i'm having ob.

3. When i'm having ob, i could pass it to other part of my body if i touched the infected one and touched other part of my body without washing my hands first.

I guess i just have to wait till i call my clinic tomorrow to get my result.

And i really appreciate what you have done for me, replying all my worries which giving me better understanding about this virus.

Thanks a lot.

helied2me

1. Blood tests will show if you have the virus only if you have had it long enough to seroconvert to positive status. This timeline is different for everyone but 75% of people seroconvert within 3 months. It doesn't matter if you're having an outbreak at the time of testing because it may be too soon to detect antibodies if it is a recent infection, it depends on how strong your immune system is. Most people with higher EIA values like 3.5 or higher have had it at least 3 months.

2. For the most part, yes. There is something called asymptomatic shedding that occurs without symptoms but it's not often. If you go the link on the right for Herpes Simplex Type under the Fact Sheets section you will find the percentage of days for asymptomatic shedding.

3. You are more likely to spread it to other areas before you have developed enough antibodies to protect yourself from this. This is called autoinnoculation.

Your welcome sweetie, let me know how it turns out. You won't get EIA values with a culture, just a negative or positive and maybe which type.

helied2me

EIA stands for Enzyme Immunoassays, these are the values that they interpret to be either negative, positive or equivocal when you get the IgG type specific antibody blood test.

If these values are below .90 then they report it as negative, if they are between .90 and 1.10 they are reported as equivocal and would ask you to re-test at a later date, if they are 1.10 and higher they are interpreted as positive. From my understanding they may even ask you to re-test if they are below 3.0 or 3.5 for type 2 especially if you have an established type 1 virus.

I am still trying to get a better understanding about this virus and testing so if anyone disagrees with what I post they will let me know.

It's only because I have no idea what I'm dealing with that I keep trying to better educate myself on this, I don't mean to bog you down with things that may not be important to you, I'm just trying to help you understand some aspects of this.

Ask anything you want to know though.