World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
scorpio1030

Asymptomatic Questions

Advertisement
0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

Unsure if you have an STD? Get tested privately here.

scorpio1030

I was recently diagnosed with HSV1. I was tested once in September when I had a cold sore on my lip. My doctor told me it was most likely something that had surfaced from childhood, but was nothing serious. I was prescribed Valtrex, took it, and it was gone in a couple days.

A month later I begin having sex with this girl one morning she has a terrible outbreak. We both get tested and we are both diagnosed with HSV1. I show no symptoms on my genitalia, and have not shown a cold sore since September.

I'm trying to figure out the nature of my condition, for I feel strange having herpes yet never showing any symptoms beyond a cold sore which I was told not to worry about. I consider myself asymptomatic. What my question is, is there any way I can tell when I am shedding virus, when I have no visible signs? Thanks guys.

hioct2007

as far as im aware there is no way of telling when the virus is shedding as it can does that ant time and the only obvious way of telling there is a virus on the skin surface is when we experience what they call it prodorme symptoms that preceed the actual OB, during the OB and a week afterwards. As for other times there is a risk of virus shedding at any time.

scorpio1030

hmm so does this mean i can never safely recieve oral sex w/o use of a condom? theres no way of telling when i'm in a "safe" or "safer" zone? i hope im not coming off as too blunt or rude, just my concerns..

scorpio1030

another question. seeing as how i have never experienced any signs of outbreak (i am aware what an outbreak is) would it be safer to always take valtrex so as to lower the chance of shedding? i am very concerned about the health of people i am with, but i am also concerned about my own sexuality.

helied2me

If you have a confirmation on type 1 orally from childhood it is unlikely that you have type 1 genitally as you should be protected by the antibodies from having type 1 genitally also. I'm going on an educated guess here that you were shedding the virus orally and performed oral sex on this girl and she contracted it that way. I say that because you said you both tested positive for type 1 with no mention of a positive result on type 2.

It is possible that you do not have genital herpes, she apparently does and could also have it orally if she never had type 1.

Valtrex is said to reduce viral shedding so if it makes you feel better taking it thats your choice.

If you feel itching and tingling in your lips avoid any kind of contact. If you have multiple sex partners you risk contracting type2 genitally, there is no 100% safe sex measure with HSV.

There is tons of information in the links to the right and you should inform yourself as much as possible so you can fully understand how this virus operates. I hope you take the time to do that and share the knowledge.