World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
FortunateRuth

Probably positive, waiting for tests

FortunateRuth

I have spent the last week back and forth at the doctors office, educating and consoling myself through this website’s forums. I am experiencing a major ob. I could seriously do without this part of my anatomy right now!!! I little back ground: I am 34 and re-married to a wonderful man who is my best friend. Neither of us where the pillars of society prior to our marriage, but these days it seems few are. My husband and I have only been married for 4 years, so we have concluded that attempting to figure out the “who did what” was pointless, thanks to the information we received here. He has had cold sores all his life including for the past two weeks, but not an ob like this. Although, he may now. We are totally devoted to each other, and monogamous. We are both even-tempered and reserved judgment until we had more information. Thankfully we have a strong marriage. Any-who, yesterday my Dr. sent labs testing me for H, and although he reserves making that determination, he feels strongly that it is based on my symptoms. All the worse case scenario symptoms I read, I have. My husband and I spoke and we went back today to get him tested. We should receive our results next week, in the mean time, I have some questions.

What else in the world can I do to relieve the pain and itching. I am only 2 days into the meds, when will I see(feel) a difference? If I can sit in a cold bath of Epson salt, can I douche with it? I have been out of work for a week, what is this life with an ob supposed to look like. Should I stay confined to my room? I am uncomfortable “being” any where else.

Marriage is great, self esteem is great, I am just miserable. Help

helied2me

Hi FortunateRuth,

You are fortunate to have such a strong relationship with your husband and it's obvious that you have great self esteem!

I wish I could help more with your pain but I can't. Epsom salts baths are helpful with drying out the outbreak and relieving some of the itch but I'm not so sure I would douche with it. Douching with anything is really not necessary as the vagina is self cleaning and you could create a whole new set of problems.

Whatever I'm experiencing, my doctor suggested cold compresses for the itch and I do have to say it does give me a great deal of relief. So whether you confine yourself to your room or are sitting in the living room in front of the TV or at your computer doing work, get one of those cold compresses you keep in the freezer and slap that between your legs when you need it. It may help you too.

For the sores , just try to keep them dry so that they heal quicker. Some people will use peroxide to aid in healing, and blow drying the area so you don't have to touch it and make it more painful. If you are experiencing the flu like symptoms with swollen lymph nodes try some OTC pain relievers.

Hope you find some relief and feel better soon.

FortunateRuth

Thank you so much, I bought the douche and had second thoughts. Does the peroxide burn...cant be any worse than urinating at this point, or could it?. Right not I get along fine until it have to use the restroom. I have found much hope reading the posts about out future and living with it, but no miracle for this ob. I do have a great guy, I regained my self esteem within 6-8 hours. Stayed on this web site until it was back. Truth be known I had a minor freak out, but grace and common sense have prevailed.

Thanks you

You guys are angels.

helied2me

Hate to say it but the peroxide will burn like hell! Probably worse than the urine so it's up to you. If you can ride it out that will be less painful than the peroxide. You might want to check the treatment forum and see if anyone has any other suggestions but my guess is you've already been there.

Wish I could recover emotionally that quick!

FortunateRuth

Thanks, I just skip that fun. I would not have been this good several years ago. I was pretty high strung and naïve (stupid). I thought the cold sore being H was fictional cracks from mean peers. I never had any, and felt bad for those that did. My hubby took all the negative wind out of my sails, and spiritually we are strong. When I was through crying, I figured this consequence was always a possibility, fortunate for us both and our pasts we can not find the use in blame. Fortunate, because the possibility H could not get a wedge between us. We married for life (this time we meant it [don’t we all]), so after the charades, we laughed and decided we had more than a ring and vows in common.

What is the deal with the CDC reporting. Do the men-in-black show up and ask for a list of our partners and then knock on their doors?

I have been reading the posts, and feel for those who feel lonely and abandoned. I can see the utter life line this place offers.

I am sorry for what you went through, thank you for responding to me and countless others. Did you ever get an apology?

helied2me

LOL, I don't know how that report to the CDC came about, but I'm old enough to remember that they would contact partners of STD's like gonorrhea and syphilis. They might still contact people when someone comes up with a positive HIV test but I don't really know. I think that person was just unfortunate to have dealt with a nurse who was misinformed. I don't know that for sure either but it's the only time someone posted that.

I don't know which posts of mine you have read so I don't want to guess as to who it was that owed me an apology. I will say there were only 2 and one was a member who I haven't seen here in ages and the other is my husband. Yes, he apologized long after it was too late.

I don't know if it will help because I haven't taken any yet but my doc also suggested taking some oral Benadryl for the itch too, you might want to try it.

And thanks for asking.

helied2me

I just caught bits and pieces of CSI: Crime Scene Investigations and one of the lines was 'I was just contacted by the CDC about an outbreak of the Herpes simplex virus type 1 they were trying to pin down, I guess you never know what goes on in the office' so needless to say that caught my attention. My opinion is that all infectious diseases are reported to keep track of of the rate of infection for statistics, otherwise how would we know the percentages. They actually have it broken down to percentages in each individual county in the state. So yeah, guess the nurse was just doing her job as far as reporting it to the CDC.

FortunateRuth

CSI, that is funny.

The Dr. stated that the lab reports the positive results to the CDC or health department and we would get a letter in the mail looking for additional information. I was having a Big Brother flashback, with the men in black thing.

You sound very knowledgeable, and level headed.

"he"lied2me - I was curious about what your story may have been, with the screen name you chose and looked up your first few posts.

I'm glad

I spoke to my mother this evening and all went well. I told her about the HSV1 and coldsores, she has had them. She was shocked at the statistics, but was accepting and supportive. We spoke to his family, because all of them had coldsores since child hood. What a process. I not going there with the kids, not yet.

Thanks again,

helied2me

So you managed to grow up without contracting it from your mothers' kisses just to have your husband kiss your coochie and get it? Bet you wish now that you had gotten them from your mothers' kisses!

It's great to hear she's very supportive, I hope if my daughter is faced with something like this that she is able to confide in me. At least I have clued her in on all the possibilities of contracting it without disclosing my scare to her.

Wow, letters asking for more info, I guess things on TV are a lot more realistic than they use to be.

FortunateRuth

Mommy, was busy living life, not cuddling and kissing her daughter. But really that is ok, then I would definitely have both, If I do not already.

I have not decided weather to speak to my daughter. She is at the age(16 in a few days) I was when I became sexually active, thus far is more interested in college than boys. I was pregnant at 17, and mommy dreariest at 18. Married and divorced before I was 20. I never excuse my behavior, but wish I had more guidance, more drive to value myself. I was one of those “not me” people. I thought with all the screening before and after my current marriage that I made the home run and was safe. I have told her all of my other dirty laundry to prove to her that bad choices make life difficult. She knows, because she was drug through it(life) with me. We (her and I) were single for 8 years before I found prince charming, actually a frog, like me, but with a great capacity to improve himself.

I hate being one of those alarmists, but I have always believed that Hollywood, with all that money, has access to information that the layman does not know how to acquire. Sure, if I had a private dick to tell me 360 degrees of a situation, I would be better off but It is up to us alone to educate ourselves, albeit this time a little to late. Of course, I really do not know anything yet, the results will be in next week. Even though I feel certain of what I have, I am actually anxious about receiving the results.

Has or did H keep you from working? I have a plush desk job, with frequent trips to the printer and business meetings, the restroom is a mile away. I am contemplating throwing in the towel and go back to work. My concern is I can not take care of myself the same way as at home.

I am sure that you have a life and many others you are helping. If you need to sign off this thread I will understand

Thank you for your time, you are like a beacon in the storm.

marriedwchildren

To fortunateruth and heliedtome,

What an uplifting ,heartwarming ,funny thread. I laughed so hard I wet myself:oops:. You know it is that old age incontinence bladder thing.:D I have had the same thing happen to me, I married my high school sweetheart you had cold sores his whole life, kissed all the time passionately and never thought about transmission, knew it could be passed but just thought we were careful, only to wait 24 years into are marriage for him not to have a cold sore kiss my cooch and here I am. I too wish i would of been exposed much earlier by him kissing my upper lip than catching it by him kissing my lower lip!:wink: But it is what it is and we just move forward, it sure has not changed our sex life, because I cannot ping pong it back since we both have the same strain, and I have not had another ob since my primary 4 months ago. So I guess in some ways that is a positive thing. I am sure happy to hear so much positive things from the both of you on this thread it lightens the days i feel sorry for myself because I have this pesky little virus. i want to thank both of you for making me smile today. Take care ladies and a big hug from me.

helied2me

I don't mind talking about things so I have no need to sign off on this thread. Apparently you didn't read many of my posts but that's ok as they were quite depressing, but I'll bring you up to speed.

I started experiencing symptoms 2 weeks after a one night stand and it went on for six and a half weeks then disappeared and a week later had 3 and a half more weeks of something similar. There were never any blisters or sores but extreme itch which developed into a lot of cuts and tears and this was all externally on the vulva. I went to the gyn to be tested for HSV and got back 2 negative PCR tests and 3 negative blood tests by the 5 month mark. During the last 3 weeks of symptoms I was treated for yeast and got immense relief but smaller areas of itch keep popping up but all tests for yeast have come back negative also. Mycolog cream keeps the symptoms away but 5-6 days after not using it I get itchy and start the cuts again. It's the cuts that keep me thinking it's H but my gyn tells me other conditions can cause this and sometimes they just have no explanation for it. I'm just freaked because it happened within 2 weeks of the one night stand.

I just had another blood test done Wednesday and I'm scheduled for a biopsy on Monday so I hope my results are back by then. This will be 29 weeks out from exposure and my biggest fear is that I'm just not seroconverting within the usual time frame. I'm suppose to be off the mycolog cream for a month before doing a biopsy but she scheduled me for it anyway and I will have not used the cream for only 15 days at that point. I won't be too happy if they can't determine what's causing this because it hasn't been a month and it will take 2 weeks recovery time. I am desperate for a diagnosis and hopefully a treatment that will cure what ever's ailing me.

Like my mom, I've been a homemaker for at least the past 21 years so to answer your question it hasn't kept me from working and I haven't gotten an HSV diagnosis either. I am, however, becoming quite the expert on the subject, lol. I've got all the time in the world and will miss our conversations when you go back to work.

Things are tough in your line of work right now, aren't they? So what's the hurry, are you just bored? Are things starting to heal at all? Another poster just mentioned last night that she always uses peroxide on the sores because it really helps so I just thought I'd mention it.

I hope that if your tests come back positive that it's type 1 from his cold sores as the outbreaks won't be as frequent as type 2. If you had gotten them from your mom's kisses chances are you wouldn't have gotten them from your hubby's.

Any time you want to chat, I'm here, although the administrator may move our thread to another section, lol. Good luck if you decide to go back to work in pain.

Take care sweetie.

helied2me

Glad we could cheer you up married! I'm happy to hear that you haven't had another outbreak and I'm sure FortunateRuth will be relieved to hear it too. Thanks for reminding me to get back to my kegels, I'm just so lazy!

Hugs back atcha girl!

Shayna

Thanks for reminding me to get back to my kegels, I'm just so lazy!

quote]

That is knee slappin' Funny!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

FortunateRuth

Morning Ladies,

It took me too long to figure where this thread was hiding (1,2).

Any-who, heliedtome, geez, I am so sorry for your suffering. I did not read all, but caught the one-night-stand part. Did you get the tag number of that BUS. Gosh, your story makes me feel like a cry baby. Well , I am, It hurts. I too have the cuts in the vulva, but the ones that are exterior and can dry seem a little better. I really like the cold Epson baths, have become intimate with the blow dryer(cool setting). I slept through the night for the first time in a week. What cream are you using? Keels? I know what they are, but are they of any particular help? Other that keeping the uterus from falling out?

My DH is freaking out, when we went to have him tested, they noticed his blood pressure was toooooo high. I told the Doc that the more you tell my DH the higher it will go. He is sort of a drama king. So on top of everything else we have to monitor his BP for two weeks. I keep tiring to tell him that this week and that day where not fair to his BP and should not be considered norm. After all I think them hurt him worse than me for testing. OUCH I do think he is probably a candidate for Hypertension -Stage 1. I am 34 and he is 43, what gives? That’s rhetorical.

I do envy you for being a homemaker. I would kill for that position. I work for the State, so it is not as slow for us. My DH(dear husband) is the blue collar, so I have the pension and benefits. Can’t leave, unless his situation changes. He is a hard worker. Neither of us have our Pedigrees, so here it takes two.

Why move the string? Just curious.

I love my job, and am eager to return, but I love being a homemaker more. I will miss the frequency that I can log in, cuz I will not have these cookies posted to my work PC. OHH the cooler talk. I do work with some vicious vixens, but keep to my self. I only go to work to , believe it or not WORK. Thanks for your kind words, and support. later

marriedwchildren,

So glad to brighten your day. Right now it hurts a little to laugh, so I avoid the belly busters. I have found so much comfort here, that I have been able to bounce back emotionally. I am sure I am not out of the woods. I can imagine that someone will really hurt my feelings in an unconscionable way. I am sure I will cry, but what do ya do.:roll: There is always someone in the crowd who wants to steal your joy. I aim to give it back.

Oh, we were toying with some blame theories(all in fun), and I told my DH that it had to be him, cause my right breast is experiencing a blister to two. I feel your pain, I have a fat lower lip, and a black eye.

WOW - 4 months ob free, now that is encouraging news. Are you on daily meds? I have heard they are very expensive. I have BCBS? Any info?

Well, I still feel blessed. XXXOOO to you both too.

helied2me

Oiy, I definitely did not want to hear you have cuts too, just when I get a little hopeful someone posts similar symptoms!

I use mycolog cream which is an anti-fungal in a corticosteroid cream and I am normal as long as I use it.

Kegels? Your not doing kegels yet? Well, when you start experiencing a little incontinence you will reflect back on this thread, I guarantee it! They only work if they are done properly and if I had learned the right way 25 years ago I would probably have had fewer embarrassing moments. Went to a few bio-feedback sessions to actually learn.

I glad you're getting some relief with the baths and blow dryer and that you were able to get a good nights sleep for a change.

FortunateRuth

Lovely, is "mycolog" a formal name for a creme or a term of endearment for the area it serves? Hate to ask a silly question, but I am a little NOT in the know.

Thanks

helied2me

Mycolog is the name brand for a topical yeast cream. that's OK, there are no silly questions.

FortunateRuth

Cool, thanks. One more tool in the chest never hurts. Can I use it while I have the cust?

helied2me

Well everyone here says that cortisone creams can aggravate a herpes outbreak. IF, and thats a BIG IF, what I have is herpes it hasn't aggravated it, so I honestly can't answer that question. If after you get a diagnosis and it's positive, ask your doctor for some zovirax cream to apply topically, apparently some members use that.

I see marriedwchildren hasn't responded yet and I thought you might like to know that she does take Valtrex as a suppression therapy, that's daily.

helied2me

I forgot to say that I have BCBS also, it is a PPO and the cost for Valtrex that I had filled because I thought it was HSV was 35.00. My gyn gave me a 20.00 coupon which brought it down to 15.00. Ask your doctor if they have any coupons or you can go to Valtrex dotcom and print out a 10.00 coupon, if I remember that correctly. I'm still holding on to the Valtrex just in case but I'd be willing to give them away if and when I am sure it is not herpes.

marriedwchildren

Sorry Ladies for the long response, had to do my kegels at Curves today. lol

Anyway yes, heliedtome is correct i do take valtrex daily and it can get expensive. I have a federal plan and the copay for me with a 10.00 dollar coupon from Valtrex.com is still 29.00. It does not sound like much but add that to your monthly expense and it gets tough some months. But I think i would sell my dna if i had to just for the security of the med. I was told I did not need it because I have type 1 down under, but in my mind if it gives me some comfort then i will take it until my body adjusts to this virus( maybe after the first year i might cinsider trying to go off it and see what happens. Heliedtome, hon I am very sorry for all the pain you are going through and I sure will say a prayer for you tonight and wish all the best for you and fortunateruth. You 2 ladies have made me smile and I want to give both of you a big hug from the old fart.;) Talk tomorrow

helied2me

Thank you married, I appreciate that. I hate to admit but I'm an older fart than you are!

See ya soon.