World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Lee2008

Just Diagnosed and still confused

Lee2008

Hello, I was just diagosed with Herpes and I am still very confused. I have so many dumb questions. I had my first outbreak in November and I thought it was a bad spider bite. It never crossed my mind that it was Herpes. A few weeks ago I had another OB in the same area and I decided to go to the doctor to get it checked out. The doctor did a swab test and it came out positive for herpes. How accurate is the swab test? Should I get a blook test done instead?

I got both of my outbreaks on the top of my buttcheck on the right side. Because I don't have my outbreaks on my genitals how did I get Herpes. Do the outbreaks occur where you were infected by skin to skin contact? Guess I am confused as to how you can get it. They say it is direct skin to skin contact. So because my outbreaks are on my right buttox does that mean I am only mostly contagious when someone touches my sore on my buttox. Or is the entire genital area contagious?

I have been with my boyfriend for 2 years now and this is just now coming up. He does not have any symtoms that I know of. He is getting wierd dry red sores on his body. One on his stomach, leg and eye. They start out as dry spots and then he said he has been picking at the dry skin. We have not yet discussed the fact that I have herpes. I am assuming that is something else but I having been wondering. Please help.

Also my doctor told me that I could have got Herpes from a toilet seat. I have been reading everywhere that it is impossible. Please help me!

chay5

Herpes does not have to be on genitals, it can also be elsewhere on the body.

Herpes virus does not survive long outside body - but survives for some time. The only way for you to get herpes from the toilet seat would be theoretically if someone had herpes on their butt-cheek and you sat on the same toilet seat right after he/she did. But that would be very unusual; herpes transmissions happen through skin-to-skin contact.

I got both of my outbreaks on the top of my buttcheck on the right side. Because I don't have my outbreaks on my genitals how did I get Herpes. Do the outbreaks occur where you were infected by skin to skin contact? Guess I am confused as to how you can get it. They say it is direct skin to skin contact. So because my outbreaks are on my right buttox does that mean I am only mostly contagious when someone touches my sore on my buttox. Or is the entire genital area contagious?

Your case is very interesting and you are asking a very interesting question. In case of genital herpes we are told to avoid genital sex during outbreaks - we are not told to avoid kissing. So I think since your OB is not on your genitals, you should be able to have genital sex even during OB, as long as you can make sure that your partner does not come in contact with the buttock where the OB is ;-).

What your boyfriend has /dry sores on his body / could be herpes as well, and he might not be aware of this. Maybe you got it from him somehow - it is possible....but not 100% sure.

Anyway, since you have been diagnosed with herpes, you should tell your boyfriend about it and ask him to also get tested for HSV.

Lee2008

Thank you so much for the reply. I am trying to figure out the best way to tell him. It could be possible that I got this from him but I really am not sure. There really is not way I can figure that out right? So we can still have sex during an OB because my sore is on my back side? This makes me feel so much better. Sounds like it lessens the chances of him getting it if thats true. So just as long as neither of us touch my sores we should be ok?

I have been trying to read up of different symptoms of herpes and I have not heard anything about dry spots. He says he is picking at dry skin but to me it looks like a red sore. He now has one on his stomach, leg and his eye lid.

Once again that you so much this has been very helpful. Now I need to figure out if I should be taking Valtrex daily or just when I have an outbreak.

Oh one last question. Sorry about all the questions. Would the tanning bed make me have an outbreak. My last outbreak I had was not too bad but I think I got it after I tanned...THANKS!

chay5

I have heard that sun exposure can be a trigger, I am not sure about tanning.

You have to tell your bf about herpes before you engage in any sex again.

also, he should get tested before you have sex again - so that you both know for sure who has HSV and what type and who doesn't.

Red sore spot/area could be herpes.

Regarding sex during OB, well, if this is just sex and touching/contact is just in genital area that of course it would be safe... On the other hand, usually, there is a lot of touching of other parts involved - so perhaps there is some risk of spreading it to other areas of your or his or even your body --- He should be really tested asap You may want to stay cautious and rather not risk that it spreads anywhere else

I have heard about people having herpes "spots" in a few areas of their bodies - you 'd rather want it to be in one area- so just be careful and understand during early OBs, the area can be quite contagious...

OhmyGosh

Swab tests are very reliable for a positive result, negative results there is a possiblity the virus was not at the skins surface. but a positive result is very accurate. you can still get a blood test if you feel you need to I did. The whole genital area is infected you just had an outbreak on you butt. so you can shed anywhere in the genital region, but you are most likely going to have outbreaks on your butt. It is highly unlikely that you got this from a toilet seat. the herpes virus is very weak and dies quickly outside of the body. Herpes is spread through skin to skin contact, so your butt must been in contact with someone who had herpes. yes get your BF tested, and tell him soon!! Good luck!!

ginnyp

Hey there,

I think it is very important for your bf to get to the doc asap because if the sores are herpes, the one on his eye needs to be treated. Ocular herpes can sometimes cause blindness, so it's important to find out if it is herpes and the best way for a doctor to determine if it's herpes is if your bf goes while the sore is still new. Do you know what type of herpes you have? 1 or 2?

Lee2008

Hello,

Thanks for all of the replys. I do not know which type it is but I just called the doctors office to find out. I did not even think to ask the question when I got the results. Now I am really worried. I never thought that his red spots would be H. I just found out the results and we did have sex a few days before I found out, and I know I did accidentally touch these spots. Guess I never thought about his spots being H because he always has dry skin. I hope that is not what it is. I need to figure out the best way of telling him. Not sure how to even bring up the subject, and I am afraid he will be upset with me. Is there a way to find out how long I have had the virus?

ginnyp

If your bf gets dry skin he could just be having a few bad dry spots, but he still should go to the doc.

There is a way to find out how long you've had this. Ask your doctor for an IGG type 1 and type 2 blood test. If you test positive, your antibody levels could tell you how long you've had it. Very low numbers could mean a recent infection. If you test negative then you know it's a recent infection. If your numbers are high (mine were over 5) then you know you've had the virus for a while. I had it for AT LEAST 2 years before my first ob. Hope this helps!

Lee2008

Yes that does help. I has a swab test about a week ago but I did not even think to ask about the type. I want to find out how long I have had this just to ease my mind. I need to make an appointment with my gyno anyways to get on medication. Is it better to be on suppressive medication or to take it only when I have outbreaks. Just wondering because of the location of my Ob's. Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it.

ginnyp

Medication is different for everyone. It is entirely up to you. If you feel taking it daily will help you lessen your obs, you might want to do that. AFter you talk with your bf - if he tests negative - you might want to take the medication to reduce the amount of shedding of the virus to help reduce the possibility of him getting it. That might be something you talk about together. Otherwise, if you both are positive, there really isn't a need for the suppressive meds. Then you might want to take it only during obs. :)

Lee2008

need things cleared up...I am gettting 2 different senerios

Thanks for the reply. Guess I just need some things cleared up. I posted the same question in another forum and I got a different answer. 2 other people are saying that because my ob's are on my right buttox I can have sex during ob's and it's ok. I just need to be careful that he does not touch the ob and spread it. Please clear this up for me. Thanks!

Lee2008

Need this cleared up

I posted the same original question yesterday in antoher forum to make sure someone would answer my questions. In the other forum someone told me that I could still infect someone during an outbreak by having sex even though my ob is on my right buttcheck. Please help me clearify this. Your answers gave me some hope!

chay5

Lee2008,

nobody knows this for sure - those who want to remain on the side of caution would advise you to stop having sex at all during OBs. Others (including my doctor) would just tell you to make sure the guy wears a condom during OBs (that's if someone has genital herpes - but you do not have it genitally..).

SHedding does not happen all the time - I think it happens like 5-10% of the time and nobody really knows when and if it happens at all in your case - it's impossible to verify this.

There is not enough knowledge about this virus - it acts certain way in some people and it acts differently in others.

If you want to be extremely careful - you would stop having sex during OBs - if you would be reasonably careful - you would just cover the sore on your buttock.

The most important thing is that you inform your partner and then - if he doesn't have it - he can decide for himself how uch "risk" he wants to take ...

You can also speak to your doctor about it - just to get a second opinion:)

Lee2008

Thanks Chay5

Thanks for clearing that up for me! Hopefulling I can get over feeling the way I do about this. I feel like nobody will want to touch me but I feel better knowing that I cannot spread the disease by having sex or just touching my gentials during an OB. I feel better that just my butt is infected and contagious. I am trying to rack my brain and figure out how on earth I got the infection there. Guess I will never know. Thanks alot you all have been so helpful. I am sure there will still be more questions but this answers the biggest question I have.

ginnyp

Hi again,

I have to say, I am confused on this one. I know obs can happen anywhere in the boxer short region. As can viral shedding. What I don't understand are the different things I read and which are correct. For example, some things say that once the sores heal up the virus has gone back to the spine area and it is safe to have sex. Other things say you shouldn't have sex during prodome symptoms, during sores and a whole week after. People say swab tests are only accurate during the first 48 hours because the virus may go back into their hiding cells and not be on the surface anymore. If the virus can actually disappear while sores are still present, why the week-long wait after an ob? I'm just confused myself on this. I'm also confused about what is actually contagious during an ob. I know the entire region can shed, but I always read that you shouldn't touch any sores. Well, can you touch your thighs? Can you touch your butt cheeks if your sores are vaginal? Does viral shedding happen at the site of our obs or all over? This is a good question. I am wondering if the virus is shedding for you vaginally when your ob is on your butt. Where do we get an accurate answer for this? I don't know who to ask this question to, because doctors obviously have such different ideas and knowledge on this subject. I hope someone can shed some light on these thoughts. If you wanted to check for virus the next time you have an ob on your butt, you could go to your gyne and tell them to swab your vaginal area to see if it swabs positive. I know that my doc swabbed my entire vaginal area when I had the burning for the first three months, and there was no virus present. I was just having post first ob symptoms. Wish I could help, and I wish I knew the answer. Please let me know if you find out the correct answer to your question. Thanks!