World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
anonymous=(

lost

anonymous=(

I went to the doctor yesterday and got tested, she told me it would take a few days to get the results, but that my sores were more than likely herpes. I just cried. I feel dirty, lost, confused...a million different things. I decided today to find a web site where I could talk openly about it and not feel ashamed and I came across this site. I don't even know where to start in picking up the pieces and pulling myself back together.

-jo

OhmyGosh

It takes time to put yourself back together, but you will! ask all the questions you need to. discovering knowledge about this really helps in your healing process.

anonymous=(

The doctor kept asking me, "any questions?" all i could do was cry and say no...I have no idea where to start.

ginnyp

Well you've found the right site to be on. There are wonderful and knowledgable people here who can help when you figure out what questions you have. I think you should start by reading up on herpes on the right side of this website. There is a lot of good information here. It is hard when you are first diagnosed to even understand how this could happen, but trust me, you will feel better. Every day will help you heal. Learning about it is the best way to feel better and not feel dirty. 25% of women have this! The social stigma is there because people are so misinformed. Many of us feel dirty at first but when we learn how many other people have it, and how people get it (just having sex one time can get someone infected) we start to feel better. The reason our society thinks herpes is so dirty is because of the way we get it -- through sex -- and in this country sex is still taboo. Just saying the word genital is hush-hush. But really, sex is natural and so are viruses. We shouldn't feel dirty for having a very common virus. :)

Lifeislife

The initial shock is the worst...but once it is out of the way, you can move on if you let yourself.

I have had genital HSV 1 for three years. Sure, it sucks knowing you have this. Outbreaks suck, though never as bad as the first ones. The reality is that you CAN have a normal sex/dating life. I do. There is also the chance of encountering someone else on the dating scene who has it also. It's so common.

Remember that what you are feeling right now is normal, but it WILL pass. Your life will return to a state of normalcy. Give it time and be patient.

You can refine some of your concerns so we can give you advice and insight, but it is correct that you will find the best and easiest resource to read up on to the right.