World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Lifeislife

I'm Baaack. Immunity Question

Lifeislife

So...I decided that after having my doc up my Valtrex and now that I am at the end of the outbreak, I would share some interesting news that also brings me to worry less about why I had an outbreak or if there will be more.

I'm sorry I had to bow out. I really need to get my mind off my symptoms. It was really wearing on me emotionally. Having had so little trouble with outbreaks, then to have one three weeks long was murder.

This last episode brought me to ask my guy a question it never occurred to me to ask. "Do you ever get coldsores?" He looked at me, thinking. He said, "Are those the thing on lips?" I told him yes, but people sometimes gets them on their gums. He goes, "Oh! Yeah. I get those on my gums. Have for years and years. Hurt like crazy."

He had thought they were canker sores. They might still be, but unlikely. He is going to get the blood test to see if he is carrying type 1.

Am I accurate that if he has had Type 1 for most of his life, that the chances of him catching type 1 from me genitally are nearly impossible? Does anyone have official documentation on this?

Hope everyone is well and despite my absence, you were in my thoughts.

helied2me

There you are, I've missed reading you around here! Sorry to hear about you long outbreak, that has GOT to suck!

I wish they could give us better information on things like that but I've yet to find much on that issue other than what's here. About the only thing I see is that the prevalence rate for GH 1 is is much higher when a person doesn't have hsv of either type than those who have had OH 1 from childhood.

You have a 40% lower chance of contracting GH2 if you have OH 1 but it is significantly lower to contract GH 1 if you have OH 1. It's not really much to go on but is frequently said it is rare.

So happy to see you again but if you disappear again, I completely understand. I'm hoping to get a life myself and ween myself off this site.

Welcome back girl!

marriedwchildren

Life,

Yes, i is rare to pass the same strain back to each other if you both have the same type. if your guy has oral hsv1 and you have ghsv1 then it is very rare he will get it in his genitals. My hubby has had oral hsv1 since childhood, I was never exposed, i got infected 24 years later from oral sex when my hubby did not have a visible cold sore. (This December). I only tell you my story because we have had unprotected sex since Mid January and he has never had a genital outbreak. I am ob free since then ( 4 months) I do take Valtrex daily but that is because I demanded it from my Doctor because in my mind it is the only control I have right now until my body gets strong enough on its own to fight it, I will consider stopping after the first year. I Sure like reading your posts and i too am trying to wean myself from this forum not because of the people, but every time I post it reminds me I have herpes and some days that puts me in a depression. Take care.

Lifeislife

Well, knowing that my guy might be at least close to immune really makes me almost entirely not care that I have HSV. In reality, had I not had it and we got involved, I might have gotten it from him as I never would have thought to ask him if he ever had coldsores. I would be as ignorant as I was before I was infected.

As long as I don't start getting outbreaks all the time, I will probably frequent the forum spreading the joy of comfort and cynism. If I start having outbreaks more frequently now, then I will have no choice but to leave the forum. I know how my mind works and it is entirely possible that being so aware of it could cause me to trigger them without realizing it.

My reasons for being here are almost entirely about helping others, which is why I feel badly about stepping out.