World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
La Femme

Confused, Scared & Angry

La Femme

Hi folks, I am pretty new to this forum so please bear with me. I was recently diagnosed a few days ago with HSV. The doctor said that I have both strains. As you can imagine, my heart sank.

I have been crying so much that I think my tear ducts are dried out. Anyway I have been trying to do research because I don't feel like I am fully informed.

Based on my research, I believe that I'm a asymptomatic carrier to the virus. Perhaps there are signs that I just missed or brushed them off as something else. On occassions, I have had a bump - sometimes showing up the next day after. This bump never had any puss or "head". It simply showed up and left after about 3 days or so. It never truly hurt or itched. I guess I am trying to figure out if that was infact an outbreak.

So here are a couple of questions that maybe someout out there can answer.

My lab report shows this:

HSV I/II - - 40.2 IgG

I cant tell if that means I have both or I have one. The doctor said I have both, but my interpretation of the same lab report is different.

Secondly it says that its high - does that mean a recent infection? What is the range? Is it 1 - 100%. I guess it doesn't matter because the outcome doesn't change, but I am trying to get some sort of answer to tell me how long have I been infected.

Which brings me to the next point. I am so furious with the healthcare system and with the doctors for not informing people that the HSV testing is not "routine." Pardon me but when I tell the doctor to test me for STD's, I am not excluding any in my mind.

I'm sorry for being so long winded but I guess I have so much to digest and all the time in the world to accept living with this.

Any help, advice, observations and comments are welcomed.

helied2me

Hi La Femme,

This obviously looks like a combination test for both 1 and 2. This does not mean that you have both types, this only means that you have HSV but does not tell you which type or where it would be.

I suggest you re-test and ask your doctor to order an IgG type specific antibody test for HSV-1 AND HSV-2, and specify to him that you do NOT want a combination test.

Good luck with your request, doctors can be reluctant if their patients try to tell them how to do their job.