World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
La Femme

Freaking out

La Femme

Hello Everyone

I am a young woman (28) who was recently diagnosed with HSV. I have still to determine which strain. Been racking my brain trying to figure out who gave it to me or how long I've had it.

Its been exactly 1 week (today) since I was first diagnosed. I have never truly noticed any symptoms but have seen one bump in the same area several year. This bump never came out on its own, it would only happen after having sex. Anyway, since the doctor told me about this, I just feel like my whole world is coming to an end. I cried for about 5 days straight.

I feel like no man in this world would want to be with me and my hopes for marriage and kids are over. I consider myself to be an attractive individual but having this virus makes me ugly. I know I'm being dramatic but I'm scared to possibly kiss anyone and sex is definately a no no.

I know they say time heals all wounds, but some days I wish it would fast forward so that I can get over the initial shock of this.

MsLucy

If you have genital herpes, you can kiss anyone and everyone you like. It's not going to affect them at all. As for sex, well, it's not all doom and gloom, as you may be thinking. I, for one, enjoy an active and robust (although monogamous) sex life, and so do many others who have learned to deal with this. Herpes is not the end of anything, unless you want, or allow, it to be.

I know, finding out you have herpes is a drag, but better herpes than say... leukemia, or a brain tumor. And it could have happened, you know. My sister-in-law has a brain tumor. I'll keep my herpes, thanks, and count my blessings while I'm at it. How good or how bad it is, is all in your perspective. So pull back those shoulders, stick out your chin, and dry those tears. You're alive, you're going to stay alive, and you're going to have all the things in your life that you'd planned on before this happened. This is setback, and certainly not one that you can't overcome and thrive in spite of. Don't wish your life away. Your life is now. Go live it. ;)

helied2me

Hi La Femme,

I don't know if you saw my other response but I thought it might be in order considering you have never had a typical outbreak.

Your doctor ordered a combination test and he really should not be telling you that you have both types based on that test. The combination test can only tell you that you have HSV, not which type it is.

You should go back and have him order the IgG TYPE SPECIFIC antibody test for both HSV-1 and HSV-2, not the combination test.

I hope you do this to determine which type it is before you assume you have both, then you can go from there.

In the meantime, listen to writercll, she is sooooo wise.

La Femme

Thank you both (helied2me and writercll) for all of your advice and words of encouragement. I am going to take your advice and get another test, but I will not be using the same doctor.

I feel like he showed no real sensitivity. He didn't even ask me if I wanted to come in and discuss. On top of that, my test also shows something about HPV 59. So you know I feel like I'm all jacked up.

However do any of you know what it means to have the IgG test come up as 40.2? The results show that this is high (i guess it means higher than the 1) And do you guys think that the bump I mentioned earlier might be an outbreak? As I said, it never comes on its own. It will usually appear the day after sex and will stay for a couple of days then it fades away.

helied2me

Hi La Femme,

I know it isn't much help but VVK posted to someone else that it means the infection is old and currently active.

Although a blood test can not tell you where you have the infection it is helpful to know which type it is. If you only test for type 1 and ever remember having a cold sore you can assume it is oral. If it comes back only positive for type 2 you can assume it's genital. If both are positive, you can assume you have type 1 oral and type 2 genital.

As for the bump, friction from sex is known to cause outbreaks but it could be something else unrelated to herpes. I'm sorry your test indicates an HPV infection and you will have to be very diligent with your annual paps. Please ask your new doctor about it as I was diagnosed with cervical cancer 8 years after getting HPV. He may know if your type puts you at risk.

I hope you get yourself a new doctor soon so that you can get some answers. Please let us know how it goes. If you need more answers we'll always try to help.

La Femme

Hi helied2me

Are you saying that the virus old (perhaps a few years) but is lying somewhere at the infected site? OMG! I guess because i still never had an outbreak i figured that it was sleeping and that I'm an asymptomatic carrier.

So does that mean that the closer I get to 1 the better? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question.

As for the HPV - my regular pap test last august came back normal. Last week I asked them to test me for HPV even though I wasn't scheduled for my pap. The doc said that the 59 strain is not the one related to the cervical cancer.

I am really sorry to hear that you have cervical cancer. How are you holding up?

La Femme

OMG! Does this mean that its lying there on the infected site? So that means that I am very much at high risk to passing it on to someone else if i don't take the proper precautions.

I am very sorry to hear about your diagnosis with cervical cancer. How are you holding up with that?

helied2me

Hi again,

I really have no idea what he meant by that but I'm assuming it's just a case of it indicating an established infection. Don't make a big deal over the values with your combination test just wait until you get the type specific test and we'll take it from there.

I'm glad your type of hpv is not a risk. As for me, this happened 23 years ago and I am just fine, thank you for your concern

La Femme

I'm glad to hear that :-)

Thank you so much for all of your responses. It really means alot to me that I can speak with someone - judgement free.

I will keep you posted on what i find out

helied2me

Your welcome and please do, we care and you will never get any judgement from me sweetie.

Lifeislife

Did he do a swab of the sore? Was it definately HSV? Is it possible it is HPV?

There is one other symptom that can occur, I have recently learned. It is called Folliculitis. It is the result of a staph infection. Staph is a bacteria that colonizes in the nasal passages and sometimes, somehow, can cause a sore anywhere on the body, but also in a hair folicle.

Sometimes the folliculitis, being an infection, won't go away entirely without anti-biotics. I am not certain, because in my experiences, there is always some remaining sign of the "cyst" or blister when it is not entirely gone.

If you do not feel comfortable with your doctor, get a new one. Plenty of them out there. Don't waste your time. Sounds like you got no real explanation. When you leave the doctor's office, you should have a solid idea of what is happening to your body.

The strain of HPV you are referring to is not permanent. My kid sister was just diagnosed with that. They have to remove the "warts" with laser surgery and she just needs to improve her diet and whatnot and she can be done with it.

La Femme

Hi Lifestyle:

I don't get sores. I never had any symptoms. The only thing that has made me question if I had signs and just didnt know was the small bump. Again, this was nothing that I could feel coming on. It just happened right after sex and even when I used a condom.

As for the HPV - I don't have any warts, I think that might be HPV 16, but who knows. They just said that I'd have to have another pap in a few months. But he told me the HSV test shows that I'm positive for type 1 and type 2. The test was a combo test so it doesn't tell me the antibody count for each type.

What really upsets me is this: Everytime I go to the doctor to get tested for STD's, I think I'm getting tested for everything under the sun. Little did I know that testing for the herpes virus is not part of the routine. I think most people don't even realize it. The doctors don't recommend it and you can tell that people (including myself) are not educated about this virus. When you think of herpes you think of sores in the genital and mouth area, but you never think of the asymptomatic folks....like me. Since I can't pin point how long I've had it, it truly makes me question where I got it from and have I given it to someone else.

I am truly happy that I've joined this forum because I am starting to feel better. I am not crying as much - - I guess I'm just accepting it one day at a time.